< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position Filled
Jun 28, 14
Sep 1, 14
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS GROUP
Dhahran British Grammar School ISG Jubail
Dhahran Elementary/Middle School Yanbu International School
Dhahran High School Sara Village School
“Committed to Excellence"
Assistant Superintendent for Learning required for August 2015
International Schools Group, Saudi Arabia (ISG) seeks an Assistant Superintendent for
The Assistant Superintendent for Learning joins a senior leadership team that includes the Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent of Government Relations, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, Director of Business Operations, Director of Support Services, Director of Facilities Development, Director of Digital Learning, and seven Principals/Headteachers.
The International Schools Group
The International Schools Group was founded in 1962 to originally serve the needs of expatriate families living and working in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The district is a ‘not- for-profit’, forward-looking school district comprised of seven schools in five locations. The schools are coeducational day schools delivering preschool to grade 12 programs for expatriate children and a growing number of students from the host country. Depending on the school, each offers either an American, British or International curriculum. ISG currently serves the needs of over 4,160 students and this number is projected to steadily increase.
The District is governed by a 12-member Board of Trustees and is licensed by the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Education. Middle States Associated of Colleges and Schools accredit the American and International curriculum schools; British curriculum schools undergo accreditation through the Council of International Schools.
Living in Saudi Arabia is comfortable, secure and rewarding. The rich culture of the host country makes living in the Kingdom fascinating and enjoyable. Saudi’s location provides unique access to travel opportunities, both within the region and beyond. Salary and benefits for administrators are competitive and generous and, when coupled with excellent work and living conditions, makes for an excellent package.
The Assistant Superintendent for Learning is a new position and offers an exciting opportunity as ISG enters its next phase of development.
ISG has launched a 21st century learning initiative across its seven schools. We seek an exceptional candidate who can support the highly collaborative leadership team as it implements the various components of the district’s vision for excellence in the 21st century. The successful candidate embraces the challenge of shifting practice in the classrooms, and in leading administrative colleagues to offer outstanding support to classroom teachers. A change plan organizes and guides the initiative.
ISG is committed to a progressive, technology-rich learning environment, while at the same time promoting literacy across all disciplines using brain-based research on learning as well
as tried and true traditional techniques. We value collaboration, and the district has recently adopted the core, ethical values of respect, responsibility, integrity, and acceptance, with a commitment to act.
The Assistant Superintendent for Learning will have direct responsibility to oversee the change plan implementation and assessment, and direct all communications related to the improvement initiative. The role is diverse and flexible as she/he supports the Superintendent in managing day-to-day operational issues in the district.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Support the Superintendent in leading and supervising all educational efforts of the school, and ensuring data in all areas are collected and communicated to the Superintendent and Board of Trustees;
- Communicate with the Superintendent, School Principals/Headteachers, and Distric Office administrators about progress and challenges;
- Participate fully in senior leadership meetings;
- Offer recommendations to the Superintendent to make improvements in the change initiative, in district-wide data analysis, school accreditation, teacher recruitment, curriculum and instruction, budget development, and learning support;
- Participate in Board of Trustees meetings and committees;
- Set and hold staff accountable to high standards for performance.
- Contribute to district communications efforts, including public relations, marketing ISG, publications and design, the district website, and school calendars.
- Collaborate with and support the school Principals/Headteachers for on-going curriculum review and adoption;
- Systematically assess and monitor an individualized professional learning plan for each teacher, assisting in the data collection to show growth and adequate performance;
- Collaborate with and facilitate external consultants in support of the 21st century learning initiative;
- Develop and lead a systematic approach to professional learning to ensure that staff continue to develop and are able to make progress on the change initiative;
- Make recommendations to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and
- Superintendent regarding the hiring and retention of staff and administrators;
- Collaborate with Principals/Headteachers to meet the expectations of staff evaluation identified in district policies and regulations, and assist in the successful improvement or release of non-performers;
- Collaborate with parents to ensure open and honest communication throughout the IS
- Acquire and maintain a working knowledge of International Schools Group organizational policies, practices and procedures;
- Prioritize tasks to ensure deadlines are met;
- Assume the responsibilities of the Superintendent in his/her absence;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
The successful candidate will be expected to display/demonstrate the following:
- Model ISG’s core values;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a self-directed and proactive manner, and under direction, according to need;
- Proven ability to use a range of IT, including social media;
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills;
- Ability to work in a focused team environment to meet common goals;
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively;
- Ability to think creatively in responding to ISG’s leadership and support needs;
- Ability to use initiative and sound judgment;
- Confidentiality and discretion in responding to sensitive issues;
- Positive attitude towards continuous self-improvement.
The successful candidate should ideally have:
- Previous administrative experience, preferably at the Head of School, (Superintendent), Asst. Head of School (Asst. Superintendent), or Principal/Headteacher level, or Assistant Principal/Deputy
- Headteacher level;
- International school experience and teaching experience;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven track record in collaboratively leading change and school improvement initiatives;
- Knowledge of current trends in American, British and international education;
- Knowledge of current trends and educational resources available in technology;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent command of English, both written and oral;
- Masters or Advanced Degree;
- Enthusiasm for ISG’s change initiative.
Timeline for Search:
• June 27 – Search commences
• September 1 – Application deadline
• September - October – Candidate interviews
• October - November – Site Visits
• November - December – Announcement of Assistant Superintendent for Learning
ISG reserves the right to close the selection if a suitable candidate is found prior to the dates indicated above.
Interested and qualified candidates should apply directly to ISG via Human Resources, copied to the Superintendent. Send via email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Please submit the following in a single PDF document, submitted no later than September 1,
• Max 3-page letter of interest in the position;
• Max 2-page resume of relevant qualifications and experience;
• Up to 5 contacts to serve as referees, which must include your current supervisor
(Head of School), and a previous supervisor.
A link to an online portfolio that goes into depth or provides additional examples of experiences and skillsets is highly welcomed.
For further information about the position please call John Chapman, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, on 330 0555 Ext 3203. Additional information may be found about the International Schools Group by following the link to the district website: www.isg.edu.sa
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us at Admin@searchassociates.com that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.