< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 4, 19
Sep 20, 19
Job Title: Associate Principal
Department: High School
Reports to: High School Principal
Direct Reports: Department Heads and Support Staff as assigned
Updated: August 2020
The Associate Principal is an instructional leader who collaborates closely with the two other Associate Principals to support the Principal with the day to day leadership and management of grades 9-12. The Associate Principal provides leadership and support for teaching and learning for the assigned departments, aligning the High School goals with the School’s Operational and Strategic Plans and Student Learning Results. Primary responsibilities include supervision, coaching and evaluation of teachers; leadership for monitoring student learning (e.g. collection, analysis and reporting of student learning data); supporting the development and implementation of curriculum; supporting best pedagogical practices in instruction and assessment; planning and leading professional development of faculty; allocation of resources; participation in various whole-school improvement committees, strategic plan initiatives, divisional committee work and other identified action areas. The Associate Principal may also be responsible for managing the department head team, the Advanced Placement program including liaising with College Board, and Master Scheduling.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Instructional Supervision and Leadership (for assigned departments)
- Regularly observes teachers and provides feedback on teaching and learning to facilitate student learning and ongoing improvement of instruction using best practices
- Supervises and assesses classroom teachers based on their respective year in the performance appraisal system; e.g. Self-directed Professional Growth, Profile Year
- Ensures that learning needs of students are met
- Through coaching, modelling or in-service workshops, develops teachers’ conceptual knowledge and skills in best instructional and assessment practices
- Provides leadership and support for best instructional and assessment practices
- Leads teachers in documenting, collecting and studying student learning data
Curriculum and Programs
- Collaborates with High School Associate Principal colleagues in providing support to ensure that curriculum units, performance assessments, and instruction supports deep understanding of content, and achievement of standards and benchmarks, using the Backward Design model
- Ensures curriculum is delivered consistently within the assigned departments
- Ensures appropriate use and organization of resources for curriculum implementation
- Responsible for coordinating the Advanced Placement program including liaising with the College Board
Day to Day Management
- Provides leadership to the assigned departments in curriculum and personnel issues
- Facilitates operational procedures to maximize student learning
- Addresses general issues or parent concerns that arise
- Maintains effective communication channels with all stakeholders
- Participates actively in daily school life and special events e.g. after school activities
- Appropriately handles academic and/or behavior management issues as they arise
- Develops and disseminates the high school academic book to communicate course offerings, graduation requirements and high school operations to students, parents and the community.
- Manage all aspects of Powerschool use, working with other departments as necessary (e.g. grade reporting, transcripts, transfer credits, graduation progress). Ensure faculty are adequately trained to fully utilize the system’s capability.
- Advocates and nurtures a school culture conducive to student learning and staff professional growth
- Works collaboratively with teachers, teacher leaders, and curriculum leaders in developing their teaching and leadership skills
- Engages others in supporting change in a positive manner
- Facilitates opportunities for developing others
- Recognizes and respects the diversity of ideas, values and cultures that make up the school
Registration and Scheduling
- Organize class registration and prepare the master class schedule balancing student course requests with maximizing teaching loads and ensuring the most efficient use of faculty.
- Review and make recommendations on program offerings based on enrolment and staffing (e.g. additional classes that may be required, courses that shouldn’t be offered due to low enrolment, FTE considerations).
- Assist with determining part time faculty needs
- Develop the yearly Academic Handbook
- Lead the coordination of the Grade 8 Transition to the High School
Partnerships and Independent Study
- Manage the relationships and learning associated with online services (e.g. Global Online Academy) and/or partnerships (e.g. universities). This includes reviewing course offerings to ensure suitability for students, monitoring progress, and application of course credits.
- Review and assess ongoing viability of current and alternate partnerships through the lens of what is best for students from different perspectives; e.g. balance, high school and college credits.
- Liaise with the Advancement Office in managing the internship program
- Oversee Junior and Senior options including independent studies and specialized paths to graduation
- Contributes actively to mission and student learning results in a variety of ways
- Participates in school projects and events; values being an active member of the HKIS community
- Undertake any other duties and functions as required which will help impact and strengthen the contributions of the High School to HKIS and improve overall operations
REQUIREMETS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced degree in Education
- Certification as Administrator preferred
- Successful experience in a key leadership role in a high school, as an administrator, team leader, or curriculum leader
- Successful experience in organizing and developing a large high school master schedule
- Extensive experience using the PowerSchool (or like platforms) for master scheduling
- Supervisory and/or performance management experience preferred, including engaging in difficult conversations
- Record of being a flexible, positive and contributing member of a school leadership team
- Solid background in curriculum development and leadership
- Solid conceptual and applied knowledge of current research and trends in literacy, second language learning, and secondary curriculum
- Demonstrated success in working with teachers on continuous improvement initiatives
- Successful experience in working with students in high school grades
- Previous experience in an international school and familiarity with American educational system preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of high school teaching experience.
- Grounded in knowledge about teaching and learning, particularly for high school grades
- Attitude of a servant leader, focused on serving others, a strong commitment to the mission and Student Learning Results of the school
- Demonstrates respect for teachers as professionals and as adult learners
- Ability to guide, coach, support and develop faculty and staff
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to prioritize work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communicator – communicates well with a diverse community, proficient writing skills, comfortable doing public presentations
- Skillful at using technology
- Effective decision making skills
- Enthusiasm for handling multiple tasks, challenging schedules, and clientele with high expectations
- Willingness to actively support the Student Learning Result on spirituality, interest in religious education, open to sharing own spiritual journey and learning about other faiths
As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators as well as those of other faiths. HKIS seeks to hire candidates who are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.
For all applications, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org for attention to Ms. Beatrice Lam, Compensation & Benefits Manager.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.