< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 23, 21
Dec 17, 21
The Canadian International School of Singapore seeks a
Bilingual (English/Mandarin speaking) Primary School Vice Principal
For the 2022-2023 school year
Closing Date for Applications: December 17, 2021
Starting Date: August 1, 2022
Diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives strengthen us as a learning community. We welcome applications from all who believe they have something of value to contribute in building a positive, supportive and inclusive school culture.
To unleash the potential of all individuals so they can own their future
Engage Enlighten Empower
Our Values Collaboration Curiosity Creativity Generosity Respect
We seek a visionary, collaborative educational leader who has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the teaching and learning principles articulated in our vision, mission and values throughout their career.
You bring a relentless focus to improving teaching and learning and are an expert in using data to analyze student achievement and develop appropriate programs, strategies and interventions.
About Our School
The Canadian International School (CIS) is an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, one of the few schools in Singapore to offer the IB continuum, PYP, MYP and DP.
CIS has a student population of 3,000+ and a professional staff of 315. The school offers students an opportunity to develop through a diverse and rigorous curriculum and a wide range of activities.
Our Lakeside campus adopts a school-within-a-school design, creating unique and distinct communities in a school that houses students from Nursery through to Grade 12. The school combines state-of-the-art classrooms, learning pods, and other learning spaces to support the inquiry-based approach and encourages a strong sense of community.
The school is currently constructing an Early Years Centre that has been designed to meet Nursery to Grade 1 students’ needs and includes Singapore’s largest outdoor discovery center with a student capacity of approximately 600 students.
About the Position
The vice-principal reports to the Lakeside Primary School Principal and will work directly with two other vice-principals and two PYP coordinators to support curriculum implementation and “best practices” in classroom instruction.
This work requires dynamic leadership, liaising with grade and subject discipline teams, the development of professional development opportunities for teachers in response to identified needs, and consultative service to teachers.
As a member of the senior administration team, the vice principal contributes to the overall operation of and the strategic planning for the school and sits as a member of the school’s Senior Academic Team.
- Developing an identity and spirit within the school consistent with the vision and mission of CIS
- Promoting pride for the school within faculty, student and parent stakeholder groups
- Maintaining a high professional standing and promoting professional development within the school
- Developing and implementing the strategic plan for CIS in cooperation with the senior administration team
- Support grade-level teams in the development, understanding and implementation of curriculum
- Develop procedures and protocols to ensure the smooth day to day operations of the school (i.e., supervision schedule, bussing, supply folders, fire drills, report cards, newsletters)
- Assist in the supervision and evaluation of programs and their delivery
- Assist in the supervision and evaluation of teachers
- Manage expectations of student achievement and behaviors
- Help organize special events (i.e., Curriculum Night, concerts, assemblies)
- Tracking of individual students regarding academic, behavioural, and emotional well-being.
- Communicating student achievements to parents (reporting)
- Ensuring that the moral tone of the school community is upheld
- Attending PTA meetings and reporting on issues, events, and celebrations
- Corresponding with parents regarding student, teacher, facility, or school curricular issues
- Liaising or mediating between teachers and parents
- Advising the principal on future staff vacancies
- Consulting with the principal during the hiring process
- Facilitating the orientation of new staff to the policies of the school
- Assist with ongoing teacher appraisal
- Contribute to the vision for the professional development based on the needs of the school and individual teachers
- Maintain a strong professional relationship with the community and related educational providers
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the school’s neighbours.
Compliance with External Agencies
- Work with the principal and PYP coordinators to ensure compliance with all IB programme authorization and evaluation requirements
- Support the self-study process (when applicable)
- Ensure the development and submission of final copies of all reports required for this compliance
- In collaboration with the principal and coordinators, oversee the implementation of the action plans that are developed as a result of the Self-Study process.
- Ensure compliance with authorization and accreditation authorities
- Complete aspects of the annual internal review as requested by the Quality Assurance Manager
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the school strategic plan
- In collaboration with the school psychologist, supports the Student Support and Well-being Team
- Collaborate with the PYP coordinators as they carry out their responsibilities
- Fluent in both Mandarin and English
- Teaching Certification
- Master’s or related leadership degree in a related field
- Significant experience in senior leadership positions
- Minimum of 10 years of successful classroom teaching experience
- Exceptional leadership, communication, collaboration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- An effective communicator, having the capacity to listen, empathize, and connect, as well as teach, present, and motivate
- A self-directed leader with a depth of knowledge in IB curriculum, instruction, and learning who motivates intellectual growth
- A visionary leader focused on the vision of what the school can be
- A facilitator building strong and productive relationships with students, parents, teachers, and the community
- A change master - flexible, futuristic, and realistic; one who can motivate and manage change
- A culture builder - communicating and modelling a strong and viable vision
- An activator with motivation, energy, and enthusiasm to spare
- A producer who is results-oriented with a strong sense of accountability in building intellectual development and academic achievement
- A character builder who models values, words, and deeds that are marked by trustworthiness, respect, and integrity
- An active contributor whose priority is making contributions to the success of others
A CIS vice-principal is required to report to work on the same date as other senior leaders, prior to general faculty returning to work.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to send the information listed below as a single pdf file attachment to:
Pete Corcoran and Dr. Colleen Drisner
Head of School Primary School Principal
The application package must be in the form of a single pdf document.
- A one-page letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in applying for this position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A one-page statement outlining your educational philosophy and leadership style
- A one-page list of references with the business, home phone numbers and email addresses of three school administrators with whom you have recently worked
- A maximum of three letters of reference (the requirement will be waived for candidates currently registered with international recruitment agencies)
Additional information about our school can be found on the school’s website at www.cis.edu.sg The initial closing date for applications – December 17, 2021
CIS reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable. For this reason, it would be important for interested applicants to submit an expression of interest in the position at the earliest possible opportunity.
The Canadian International School of Singapore is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all who work and learn with us. All applicants to the school must be willing to undergo rigorous child protection screening, including checks with past employers and Disclosure and Barring Service checks.
We reserve the right to contact past employers not listed in the candidate’s application.