< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Discovery School -Tegucigalpa (Honduras)
Appointed - Dr. Jay Ketterer
Nov 12, 13
Feb 28, 14
Seeks a Director (Head of School)
Effective July 2014
Discovery School is a private, non-profit, and parent-owned, coeducational school offering an American curriculum taught in English. It was founded in 1994 when a group of parents and three teachers came together with the idea of opening a school that would teach high education and life skills to students from pre-kindergarten to grade 12. In 2014 we will be celebrating our 20th Anniversary! The school is accredited by Honduras Ministry of Education, the U.S. Department of Defense Dependent Schools and by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The first graduation of Seniors took place in June 2003. 40% of our students are international (comprising over 25 nationalities) and 60% are Honduran. The school’s website http://www.discoveryschool.edu.hn/ can be visited at any time for more information regarding the school.
As follows from its name, the Discovery School is built around the concepts that learning is a process of discovery and that teaching and learning are developmental and lifelong passions.
The school believes that the most meaningful education takes place through first-hand experiences based on themes that cut across subject lines and integrate knowledge. This implies a progressive approach to learning that is distinct from many traditional schools in its focus on exploration and inquiry, open-ended questions, hands-on experiences, simulations, experimentation, active participation, and collaborative student-teacher relationships. The Discovery School chooses to be different and consciously creative and innovative in its curriculum and approach in an effort to make learning fun, exciting, and challenging. This focus on discovery can be seen in the following areas:
· Student-Centered Learning
· Development of the Whole Person
· Rich Learning Environment
· Emphasis on Learning Skills
· Experience Beyond the Campus
· Dynamic, Enthusiastic Teachers
· Nurturing Social Dynamics
· Supportive Community
· International and Cultural Diversity
To prepare students for the challenges of life and future academic work by instilling in them:
· Academic Excellence
· Critical Thinking
· Celebration of Cultural Diversity
· Social and Environmental Responsibility
This is accomplished through an internationally enriched U.S.-style curriculum with high academic standards, an internationally diverse student body, state-of-the-art facilities, and an inquiry-based approach to learning.
Campus and Facilities
Discovery School is located in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. In 2006, the school moved to a new, purpose-built facility, on a seven-acre campus, with separate areas for Elementary and High School, a modern well-equipped computer lab, a spacious cafeteria, science lab, library/media center, gym area, Spanish room, soccer field, art room, music room, staff room, conference room and a teachers’ resource room.
Discovery School has 237 students from 27 countries representing the diplomatic, corporate and private sectors. Class size is limited to 15-18 students, and 2 sections per grade.
The Faculty and Staff
In the 2013-2014 school year, there are 42 full-time faculty members. All teachers have university degrees and teaching qualifications/ experience. Many classroom teachers are bilingual (English/Spanish).
A seven-member School Board, elected by the parents, governs the school. Membership in the Association is automatically conferred on the parents and guardians of children enrolled in the school. The school is funded mostly by tuition fees, but also benefits from a annual grant given by the United States Department of State through its Office of Overseas Schools.
Honduras is located in Central America, bordering the Caribbean Sea, between Guatemala and Nicaragua and bordering the Pacific Ocean, between El Salvador and Nicaragua. It has an area of 112,429 sq km (slightly larger than the state of Tennessee) and a population of approximately 7,935,000. Honduras is a vibrant country, with pristine beaches, lush jungles, breathtaking mountains, and incredible Mayan ancient ruins. Tegucigalpa, the capital city, has a population of around one million people. The international airport in Tegucigalpa has daily flights to the US and other international destinations. English is widely spoken throughout the city and local nationals are warm and welcoming to foreigners. Climate in Tegucigalpa is very temperate, with average temperatures in the mid-20s (around 77°F) for most of the year. Nights can get cool, dropping to around 15°C (60°F). Honduras is an enchanting place, where the sights and the people will make a difference. For more information on Honduras, go to www.letsgohonduras.com
The New Director
Discovery School under the leadership of the incumbent Director reached important milestones, and has reached a turning point in its history. The new director will have the opportunity to implement the Discovery School strategic plan, taking us from the good school we are to the great school we aspire to become.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Education from an institution approved by a U.S. regional accrediting agency.
- Fluency in English, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with curriculum development including knowledge of Advanced Placement, Four Blocks, and Common Core.
- Certification in School Administration from an accredited Institution.
An Ideal Candidate would have:
- Strong work ethic and sense of responsibility combined with high enthusiasm, creativity, energy, perseverance, initiative and follow-through, and charisma.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with highly diverse and multi-cultural constituents – teachers, and staff, parents, students, Government Officials, community leaders, and the Board of Directors.
- Leadership qualities including the ability to recruit, motivate and retain outstanding teachers as well as the commitment to enforce – in a fair manner – that all teachers meet or exceed the high standards expected of a school with a premier education academic program.
- Knowledge and experience in ensuring and demonstrating school compliance with accreditation requirements (SACS preferred).
- Experience managing the business aspects of a school including establishing budgetary priorities and projections, and working within approved budgets.
- Marketing and networking abilities and recruitment strategies for implementing a program for campaign
- Conversational Spanish will be helpful
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be regionally competitive and will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include tuition for school age children, housing and car allowance, health/ life insurance, travel allowance, limited shipment of personal effects, and professional development. Salary considerations will be detailed during the interview process.
Procedure for Filing Application
The Discovery School has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for the new Director (Head of School), with Dr. Ralph Jahr and Ms. Bridget McNamer being the lead consultants. The deadline for applications for the position is February 28, 2014. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the requested materials listed below as early as possible as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be selected by the Search Committee as early in the process as possible. Finalist candidate(s) together with their spouse (if applicable) may be invited to Tegucigalpa to meet with the Board and Search Committee for final interviews and to visit the school campus and meet with faculty, parents, students, and non-teaching staff. The new Director will be selected immediately after the conclusion of the site visits and final interviews. The new Director will begin in July 2014.
Candidates should send the information listed below as a single pdf file attached to an email:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Director position at Discovery School.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A one or two-page statement outlining educational philosophy and leadership style.
- A one-page list of references with phone numbers and E-mail addresses. This list should include at least one teacher, one parent, one student and one Board of Directors member from the current school year or your last place of employment.
- A maximum of three letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) which may already be in your possession.
The Search Committee will hold your replies in strict confidence.
Total document size should be kept to less than three (3) MB if possible. Candidates should all the information requested below to Search Associates:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Additional information about Discovery School can be found on the school’s web site at:
< www.discoveryschool.edu.hn >.
Ralph Jahr Tel: 609-759-0431
12 Exeter Ct Email: RJahr@searchassociates.com
Princeton, NJ 08540 (USA) Skype – ralph.h.jahr
Bridget McNamer Tel: 415-290-6050
313 Bell Lane Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mill Valley, CA 94941 (USA) Skype - bridgetmcnamer