< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 4, 2023
This is an opportunity to lead Admissions for one of Hong Kong’s most prestigious and well-established international schools, the Hong Kong International School (HKIS).
Founded in 1966, HKIS is one of Hong Kong’s oldest international schools, and it continues to set the standard in Asia for an American college-preparatory K-12 education. HKIS is home to approximately 2,880 students from over 40 different nationalities and 550 faculty and staff across two campuses in Repulse Bay (Lower and Upper Primary) and Tai Tam (Middle and High School).
About the role
The Director of Admissions provides leadership, vision, and direction on the recruitment and retention of a talented, diverse student body at Hong Kong International School. He/she directs the Admissions team in the execution of the School’s mission driven enrollment strategy and the pursuit of its wider goals. A key responsibility for the Admissions Director is to collaborate closely with the Marketing department to ensure that HKIS retains its market position and reputation as a top school of choice with student enrollment comprised of a minimum of 70% expatriate students.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Admissions Policy and Process
- In collaboration with the Head of School and other school leaders design and implement an overall recruitment and enrollment strategy, with emphasis on recruiting and matriculating a talented and diverse group of international students.
- Lead the development, review, management, and administration of admissions policies and processes with respect to student applications and acceptances based on best practices to ensure an efficient and effective admissions process.
- Responsible for and provides leadership in, developing student admissions and assessment criteria.
- Continually evaluate and redesign all aspects of the admissions process with the goal of maintaining a capacity enrollment of qualified students and a wait-pool of qualified applicants.
- Manage the admissions process to ensure enrollment comprises a minimum of 70% expatriate students in the short and long term.
Recruitment and Enrollment
- Lead and manage the enrollment process including creation, and distribution of materials for new student registration, campus tours, and co-plan and deliver new student orientations on both campuses.
- Responsible for the evaluation of student applicants, administering assessments and/or interviews where necessary and admitting students based on the established criteria.
- Coordinate admissions decisions with divisional administrators, Student Services staff and faculty when required (e.g, students potentially requiring learning support and/or language support, strategic selection decisions).
- Maintain records and statistics on student enrollment history and trends to align Admissions Office activities depending on the market situation and organizational needs.
- Collaborate with the Finance Office on student payments and reenrollment.
Marketing, Public Relations and Development
- Develop outreach programs and relationships that increase the public awareness of the School.
- In collaboration with the Marketing team design, produce and distribute admissions promotional materials.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other organizations to ensure widespread awareness of the strengths of HKIS and its programs.
- Track changes in the Hong Kong education environment and general society to ensure understanding of changes that might affect HKIS to ensure a proactive approach to potential issues.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and alumni to ensure broad-based support among all stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Advancement Office in (1) the identification and cultivation of prospective donors, parent volunteers for Board committees, advisory groups, and others as may be required, (2) representing HKIS in the parent and broader Hong Kong community, and (3) actively engaging community members in the fundraising process.
Information and Statistics
- Lead the registrar function of the School including new, returning, transferring, and withdrawing students.
- Oversee the maintenance and quality assurance standards of all student records (e.g., family demographics, addresses, company information) and archives (subsequent to student withdrawal).
- Manage the withdrawal process of students departing HKIS.
- Maintain, track, and interpret statistical data (e.g., student enrollment, demographics, retention, attrition) activities to proactively identify trends, opportunities and potential challenges to inform relevant decisions (e.g., adjustments to the admissions process, increase in marketing efforts).
- Select, train, and lead the Admissions staff to ensure the overall effectiveness and responsiveness of the Admissions Office as well as the quality of customer service to current and prospective students and their families, HKIS faculty and staff.
- Work with the Advancement Office (e.g., Scholarship Program Coordinator) in the financial aid process to help determine student financial aid awards based on mission-alignment, scholarship applicant pool, eligibility and the availability of funds.
- Perform other duties as required for the smooth operation and success of the School.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Educational Administration or related field, Master’s Degree preferred
- 8-10 years in Enrollment Planning and Management with a minimum of 3 years in a managerial role.
- Demonstrated track record of strong leadership that is innovative, flexible, responsive and diplomatic, including leading, managing and developing a team; demonstrated ability to encourage and energize staff, community business leaders, government officials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and public speaking skills; ability to represent HKIS in public forums. A clear and confident communication style that shows spirit, enthusiasm and integrity.
- High level interpersonal skills including demonstrated relationship buliding with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Strong organizational skills including planning capacity and reporting.
- Strong ability to analyze data to identify trends and develop short and long-term strategies.
- As a school grounded in the Christian faith, HKIS hires Christian teachers and administrators as well as those of other faiths. HKIS seeks to hire candidates who are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.
How to apply
Interested candidates please visit our website (www.hkis.edu.hk) for application.