< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Director of Communications
Beijing City International School (China)
Jan 21, 19
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
Director of Communications
Beijing City International School (BCIS), P. R. China
The BCIS Mission is to challenge and empower students to be compassionate and inspired people, who act for the good of all and for the sustainable development of the world.
BCIS will be widely respected as an inclusive school offering a model cosmopolitan education.
Beijing City International School was opened in September 2005. It was established to provide an international education for the expatriate communities in Beijing, as well as, uniquely at that time, offering education to the children of internationally-minded Chinese nationals. Beijing City International School (BCIS) is a private, not-for-profit institution governed by an appointed Board of Trustees. The school is funded by tuition fees.
The school boasts purpose-built, state-of-the-art facilities specifically designed to support our curriculum and progressive teaching and learning environment. The 51,000 square meter main campus sits on of prime land in the heart of the CBD and within one kilometer of the China World Trade Centre. In 2014/2015 the Early Childhood Program (Toddler, Nursery, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten classes) transferred to a new purpose-built Early Childhood Center located approximately one kilometer from the flagship BCIS campus. This 21,000-square meter facility has been built to an extremely high standard (U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Gold Standard) of environmental sustainability, in line with the school’s mission.
BCIS is an inclusive school that admits students who can benefit from our program and whose families are committed to our school mission. BCIS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School which places a strong emphasis on personalized learning and academic rigor. We have aligned the Chinese National Curriculum with the BCIS curriculum and we are authorized to teach the IB Diploma Programme in Grades 11 and 12, the IB Middle Years Programme in Grades 6 to 10 and the IB Primary Years Programme from Nursery to Grade 5. The IB programs stress the importance of inquiry and educating the whole child. We also offer our own IDEATE Diplomat to Grade 11 and 12 students who wish to follow a project-based program to graduation. The language of instruction is English. The school is accredited by CIS and WASC and is a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS) and the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS).
Current enrollment across the two campuses is 1,200 students.
About the Director of Communications
Reporting to the Head of School, the Director of Communications leads a department including Admissions, Marketing, Alumni and Advancement. The Director of Communications is responsible for the development, organization and implementation of BCIS external and internal communications, marketing and admissions planning and external relations, in line with the BCIS Mission, Philosophy, Strategic Plan and goals.
The Admissions department is the face of the school whose responsibility is to welcome new and prospective families to BCIS. The department is made up of seven people, led by the Admissons Manager, who reports to the Director of Communications. The members of this team work across the two campuses, administering online applications, leading school tours, informing families of the BCIS teaching and learning principles, assessing students for admissions interviews and working closely with divisional Principals for the in-person family interviews.
The Marketing Department is made up of six people and is led by a Marketing Manager, who reports to the Director of Communications. This department is responsbible for developing and maintaining a communications strategy which would incorporate implementing the overall multi-media strategy for BCIS, including managing text/print, social media presence, coordination of submissions to the website, responsibility for overall brand management and fostering relations with media outlets. The department coordinates several community events throughout the year with the aim of continuing to build and maintain school community, as well as showcasing BCIS to the wider Beijing community.
The responsibilities for alumni relations and advancement opportunities fall under the responsibility of the Director of Communications. These are areas for further development and strategic marketing and communications objectives will be required to be put in place for the short, medium and long term goals.
Key Areas of Responsibility for the Director of Communications
- Provide visionary leadership for the Communications department.
- Develop and maintain a focused Communications strategy.
- Develop the leadership capacity of the Communications staff based on teamwork and collaborative decision-making.
- Recruit, mentor and evaluate high quality managers and staff in the communications departments.
- Serve as a member of the school-wide Educational and Instructional Leadership Teams, working closely with Head of School, Principals, Deputy Principals, Coordinators and the Director of Operations.
- Attend Board meetings, reporting on Communications matters at the Board level.
- Develop objectives and planning in the area of advancement and alumni relations.
- Oversee the production of all electronic and print communications.
- Work with Managers to ensure that resources are allocated appropriately and that procedures are in place for the administration and control of all expenditures.
Key Attributes Sought in the Director of Communications
- Philosophical alignment with the BCIS vision, mission, strategic plan and goals.
- Proven previous leadership skills.
- Excellence in communicating orally and in writing.
- The ability to gain and maintain the confidence of highly motivated managers and staff.
- The ability to hire, retain and support thriving, highly motivated managers and staff.
- High emotional intelligence, including the capacity to respond with compassion and firmness while maintaining the respect of colleagues from different cultures.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and delegate with confidence.
- A leadership style characterized by inclusiveness, appropriate transparency, approachability and support while remaining decisive and accountable.
- Enthusiasm to continue to contribute to the innovation of education in the host country, P.R. China.
- Sense of humor and ability to see the good in all and presume positive intentions.
- Proven leadership and communications experience in an organization, preferably in the international and educational fields.
- A graduate degree in a relevant field.
- Proven experience of managing multiple projects linked to strategic goal.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience of working in a culture other than your own.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be regionally competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The package includes: generous salary, furnished housing, medical insurance, annual travel allowance, shipping allowance, tuition for dependent children, ample professional development opportunities and the benefit of belonging to both a highly engaged leadership team and a warm, caring and innovative community.
Candidates are requested to apply to Julie Lawton, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org and to send the following:
- Cover letter
- Up to date contact information of four references
Applicants should visit the school website for more information about the school www.bcis.cn
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by Skype and shortly thereafter finalist candidates will be invited to Beijing to visit with the school, along with spouse, if applicable.
It is assumed that a decision would be made concluding the final candidate visit and the next Director of Communications would be announced to the community shortly thereafter.
Application deadline is Open. The announcement will be closed upon completion of confirming the successful candidate.
Start date End July 2019
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.