< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 17, 21
Nov 15, 21
Director of Student Support Services
The International Community School of Addis Ababa is seeking a Director for Student Support Services who will be responsible for all student support services at ICS. The Director is expected to collaborate with leadership team, educators, parents, and other professionals to create sage, healthy, and supportive learning environments that strengthen connections between home, school, and the community for all students. The Director in partnership with Executive Director of Learning will be responsible to ensure that identified needs are met and constantly monitors programs for needed adjustments while ensuring a planned and coordinated program of student support services. In collaboration with divisional Principals, the position holder is expected to supervise all Learning Support Teachers, EAL teachers, Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapists, Counselors, and School Psychologist.
MINIMUM QUALFICATION & EXPEREINCE
- Master’s degree from an accredited college/university, in special education, counseling, or educational psychology.
- At least five years’ experience working with a school setting, meeting the needs of special needs learners and managing similar programs
- Proven successful experience working with diverse student population.
- Knowledge of effective practices in student support programs.
- Ability to analyze a diversity of learning issues and design appropriate programs for students.
- Firm understanding of child, adolescent and teen development
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of instructional strategies for students with special needs
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles and techniques
- Knowledge of accounting, budgeting and fiscal reporting.
- Effective and engaging oral and written communication skills (on-line, via email and in print)
- Application of a variety of leadership styles appropriate to situations
- Ability to use appropriate technology for data tracking and report presenting.
- Ability to implement innovation in education support processes.
- Ability to relate to and empathize with the needs of a diverse student population.
- Ability to exercise group leadership skills, which emphasize collaboration, consensus building, conflict resolution, and problem-solving.
- Direct experience with Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Demonstrated ability to foster a positive school climate for students, staff, and community
The successful candidate will:
- Model the IB Learner Profile professionally and personally
- Be an optimist with a good sense of humor, compassion, resilience, and flexibility
- Collaborate, support, empower and engage with administrative colleagues, school staff and other community members
- Work skillfully and sensitively with people from a wide variety of cultures and display a commitment to international mindedness
CONTRACT AND COMPENSATION
The initial contract will be for two years (Aug 2022–July 2024). ICS Addis has an internationally competitive salary and benefit package and since this position is a Middle level leadership position, it comes with a teacher salary and benefit package with 10% Administrative Responsibility Allowance. Addis Ababa enjoys a relatively low cost of living, and there are no local taxes on salary or benefits. In addition to a base salary that allows considerable discretionary income, we provide furnished housing, an overseas-hire allowance (15%), matching retirement (10%), local utilities allowance, generous professional learning opportunities, a laptop reimbursement benefit, international family health insurance with vision and dental benefits, disability and life insurance, annual home leave, shipping/settling-in allowance, and free tuition for school age dependents per the school’s Admission’s criteria. Note: there are limited employment opportunities within Addis Ababa for a non-teaching spouse.
The Deputy Principal contract is for 192 days and shall be entitled holidays established annually as holidays for the school and will be expected to be on duty up to additional 15 days which will be compensated on daily rate. Other types of leave include professional leave (usually for conferences or recruiting), sick leave, bereavement leave, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application form on our website portal Apply to ICS and attach a single PDF file no later than November 15, 2021. Do not apply directly to the Head of School. Administrative dossiers with ISS, CIS, or Search Associates are helpful but will not substitute for a direct application to ICS Addis.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the online application, please upload a single PDF packet which includes the following:
- A letter of interest explaining your strengths and why you think you are a good match for the position and our school.
- An up to date and current résumé.
- A list of at least four recent referees should be submitted. Contact information should include name, position, current email address, Skype address, mobile/office numbers and current (anticipated) time zone. Your referees should include your current supervisor and may include one administrative colleague.
- Open letters of reference from recent supervisors or Board members are welcome and should be included in the single PDF.
ICS Addis will respond briefly to all applications received via this portal. Highly qualified candidates may be interviewed as applications are received. ICS reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline if an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process.