< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 27, 21
Dec 31, 21
DIRECTOR STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES - JULY 2022
International School of Beijing is an extraordinary, non-profit school, with a history of excellence spanning more than40 years. Our Mission, Vision, and Core Values are fulfilled by passionate, highly qualified educators who all want the best for every student, Early Years through grade 12.
Of utmost importance is the school's strong sense of community and vibrant, culturally diverse campus, where learning is engaging for our roughly 1,700 students representing around 50 countries. Research-based programs, high-quality teaching, and outstanding and ever-improving facilities mean students at ISB are being prepared for success in a world that keeps changing at a breathtaking pace.
ISB enjoys a proven track record of excellent learning outcomes, with students attending colleges around the world which are most appropriate for them. Our commitment to realizing students' potential is built around nurturing the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of each child. ISB programs equip students to be productive, healthy, and fulfilled young adults, whatever future they choose.
We care about students' growth as learners and as individuals who contribute to their community. We believe that young people are naturally curious, and we recognize each student as a unique individual with the potential to achieve. Our students are empowered to solve problems, question the world around them, and develop and test hypotheses in a collaborative, supportive environment.
ISB’s whole child approach gives the same priority to our young learners’ health and character as it does to their academic performance. Our students’ well-being is a cornerstone to their success and happiness. As they learn to work together, they grow to understand different perspectives and strengthen their social skills. We nurture children who develop independence and the ability to make positive, healthy choices. Importantly, we partner with parents to ensure that school is fun, motivating, and a place where every child can turn to a trusted adult for help and support.
ABOUT OUR FACILTIES
ISB is conveniently located among one of Beijing's most popular expat neighborhoods in the city's northeast Shunyi District. Parks, international medical clinics, and supermarkets stocked with imported groceries are all just a short stroll away. While the local area has developed considerably since ISB established its campus in Shunyi more than a decade ago, it still retains its quaint charm that makes it a great place to live for singles, couples, and families.
ISB has state of the art, sustainable, award winning facilities. Our 32-acre campus, close to popular expat residential compounds, plays host to superior facilities:
- 2 purpose-built sports domes providing over 8,500 m2 of space
- A pharmaceutical-grade (H-14) air filtration system ensures exceptionally high air quality in all our indoor areas, averaging an AQI level of 1 throughout the school
- 665-seat sports stadium, including running track and rugby pitch
- 12 state-of-the-art science labs
- 4 fully equipped gyms (one with a climbing wall)
- Flexible learning spaces, including design labs and 'collaboratories.'
- 2 library-media centers with more than 82,000 volumes and over 160 magazine subscriptions
- Our performing arts wing consists of a 600-seat theater, an elementary school theater, Black Box theater, rehearsal spaces, recording studio, dance studios, and studio stage
WORKING AT ISB
ISB is a progressive, dynamic workplace where students come first and where teachers and support staff are highly valued for the gifts and talents they bring to these young learners. The school offers many opportunities for professional growth, both on campus and with access to workshops and conferences across the globe.
Faculty and support staff (totaling more than 360) represent numerous nationalities, including many from Australia, Canada, China, France, India, the Philippines, the U.K., and the U.S.
At ISB, you will be part of a great team of professionals providing a learning culture which enhances the students’ academic abilities through serving their social-emotional needs and physical health. We have an unwavering commitment to safeguarding children, providing a safe place to learn and play, surrounded by a team of adults who want only the best for each child. Working at ISB is rewarding (in both a professional and financial sense) and because we are all working towards a common goal – to make ISB the best international school in the world.
Beijing is undergoing an economic, cultural, and artistic renaissance. Only by living in arguably the world’s most important city and serving in this remarkable school will you fully understand and appreciate the gifts that Beijing and China can give.
The principles of trust, empathy, and professionalism allow everyone to thrive in their own way at ISB.
JOIN OUR TEAM
Job goal/purpose: The role of the Director of Student Support Services is to evaluate and enhance the effectiveness of Student Support Services at ISB, provide leadership and technical assistance to English as an Additional Language (EAL) and learning support throughout the school, and assist in developing and maintaining related school policies and procedures. ISB is an inclusive school. The school seeks a professional with experience teaching and/or leading in an inclusive setting, and who is deeply passionate and highly committed to inclusive practices.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide oversight and ensure continuity of Student Support Services programs and processes EY-12.
- Strengthen the effectiveness and interconnectedness of EAL, counseling, and learning support services at ISB through…Enhanced consistency of referral process across divisions; Enhanced identification and screening of children with special needs; Enhanced transition of students from division to division; Facilitation of SSS quarterly meetings
- Assist principals in clarifying and communicating the process of student referrals, support services, and cessation of services for students to be exited from programs.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, assignment, and evaluation of learning support personnel.
- Recommend policies, programs and procedures essential to the needs of children.
- Assist administrators in developing and maintaining related school policies and procedures.
- Develop a budget for Student Support Service
- Consult and support teachers, parents, and administrators regarding healthy and effective ways of dealing with problems in learning and behavior.
- Consult with the School Psychologist, learning support, and guidance personnel to develop interventions based on individual student needs.
- Help teachers, parents, and administrators to understand child development and how it affects learning and behavior.
- Serve on the admissions committee for admission decisions, as needed.
- Help students effectively utilize the educational opportunities of the school.
- Participate on the Child Safeguarding and Crisis Management teams.
- Provide Student Support Services Program orientation to new students, their parents, and new teachers.
- Help foster tolerance, understanding and appreciation of diversity in the school community.
- Develop partnerships with parents and teachers to create a healthy school culture.
- Update teachers and parents about the activities of Student Support Services.
- Process referrals to external agencies/professionals, as needed.
- Serve as a liaison with community agencies providing support services to students and parents.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master's Degree or higher preferably in educational administration or special education.
- Experience in coordinating or providing oversight of Student Support Services programs and processes including EAL and special education.
- Experience with inclusive practices and/or programs.
- Experience of managing a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong team facilitation and problem-solving skills.
- Cross cultural experience/understanding a plus.
Candidates should submit the following to ISB Human Resources Director, Jenny Whitaker, at firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Brief letter of application stating reason for interest in the position.
- A current CV/ resume not to exceed two pages.
- One page statement of philosophy of education and educational leadership.
- List of four referees, including one from a current supervisor.
December 31, 2021 is the deadline for applications. Candidates should note that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISB reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Candidates wishing to learn more about ISB may visit https://www.isb.bj.edu.cn/ .