< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Jan 4, 15
Feb 1, 15
Academia Cotopaxi American International School
Early Childhood Associate Principal
(Preschool – Grade Two)
Effective August 2015
Academia Cotopaxi American International School in Quito, Ecuador, is seeking an Early Childhood Assistant Principal to work collaboratively with our Early Childhood Divisional Principal, as a key educational leader in shaping this new division in line with our ambitious strategic plan. Enrollment in the Early Childhood grades is thriving, with two separate programs on two campuses, including 400 students ranging from 18 month-olds to Second Graders. Academia Cotopaxi is a solid international school that has been blessed with a long history of success, and this is an exciting time in its journey - an exciting transformation is taking place with the support of a very positive community, the implementation of a new strategic plan, solid enrollment, well-maintained facilities, and a positive reputation. The right candidate will enjoy a warm and happy school, a supportive and forward-thinking leadership team, and an important leadership role that has immediate impact, in one of the most ecologically diverse countries in the world.
- Master’s Degree in Early Childhood or relevant content area
- Certification from host country in Educational Leadership, Administration, and/or PTC International School Leadership certification
- Successful track record in an educational leadership role (Assistant Principal, instructional coach, department chair, team leader, committee chair)
- At least 5 years of successful experience working in the early childhood grades, preferably with direct experience with students ranging from 18 months through 7 years of age
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills demonstrating effective relationships with students, parents, teachers, and other administrators
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of contemporary pedagogy in early childhood, special education, and language learning
- Ability to use and apply current tools of technology to enhance student learning and teacher instruction
- Commitment to our Mission and Vision, and ability to support the direction of the school in both words and actions
- Willingness to take a leadership role in a student activity
REPORTS TO: Early Childhood Principal
SUPERVISES: All staff as assigned by the Principal.
Under the direction of the Early Childhood Principal, the Early Childhood Assistant Principal will facilitate the successful implementation of the school’s strategic objectives within the Early Childhood grades. The Assistant Principal will assist with administrative responsibilities that increase the scope of support to students, teachers, and parents in the division. This position may carry a direct student instructional load if required.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Assists the principal in promoting a positive school culture focused on what is most beneficial to students.
- Reinforces excellence and holds students, teachers, and staff to high expectations.
- Promotes a safe and caring climate for learning.
- Implements and promotes the early childhood vision for learning.
- Promotes effective communication.
- Orients new parents, students, and staff to school programs, philosophy, organizational patterns, policies and procedures.
- Facilitates and encourages collaborative decision-making.
- Recognizes and celebrates exemplary performance of teachers and other school personnel.
- Brings the following qualities to the position: a positive perspective: an open-minded approach; a willingness to move forward and accept change; an ability to “think outside the box”; supportive of new initiatives; inspiring leadership; a willingness to listen to the viewpoints of others; a recognition of he/she needs to be visible on the campus and involved with early childhood activities; and, an ability to serve as a role model to both students and teachers.
Assists the principal in creating an effective learning environment for all students in the division
- In coordination with the division principal, supervises and checks that developmentally appropriate curriculum and effective instruction is being delivered in each classroom.
- In coordination with other members of the administrative team, reviews curriculum instructional plans, observes instruction, provides timely feedback and supports professional teacher growth.
- Works with administration to identify and diagnose curriculum and instructional problems, and develop solutions.
- Works with teachers to design positive inquiry based learning experiences for students that are aligned to the school’s curriculum
- Assists in the development of short and long-range curriculum and instructional program plans based upon assessed needs, and sets goals as appropriate.
- Plans and develops an effective master schedule and organization of classes to facilitate student learning.
- Responsible for matters relating to Skyward, including attendance, grading and reporting, and the development of sound reporting practices and documentation of learning
- Coordinates the staff's identification of appropriate and adequate equipment, books, supplies and instructional resources to implement an effective educational program particularly during budgeting and ordering process
- Works collaboratively with the principal to critically review, and consequently implement, improved innovative indoor and outdoor learning environments
Assists the principal in addressing the developmental learning needs of Early Childhood students.
- In coordination with other members of the administrative team, examines and improves school programs.
- In coordination with the Early Childhood principal, develops and implements guidelines for student conduct/behavior and a discipline plan with rules and consequences for student conduct/behavior.
- In coordination with members of administrative team and counselors provide for the assessment and placement of students.
- Provides for the evaluation, documentation of learning and reporting of student progress
- Assists in the administration and coordination of testing programs and student surveys.
- Assists in the monitoring of student achievement.
- Monitors student attendance.
- Provides for enrichment education for students through such activities as afterschool activities and projects
- Helps coordinate off-campus school-related activities such as field trips or service learning opportunities
Assists the principal in mobilizing the participation or employment of appropriate individuals to establish a positive learning environment for Early Childhood students.
- Along with other members of administration, meets and works with parental groups, such as the PTO to accomplish school goals and objectives.
- Fosters educational efforts between parents and teachers.
- Assists in the recruiting, interviewing, hiring process, and orientation of teachers and other school personnel.
- Counsels, guides, and evaluates the job performance of school personnel.
- Assists the principal in improving the quality of the learning environment by strengthening the knowledge and skills of the school staff.
- Encourages personal and professional growth as well as leadership among the staff.
- Assists in assessing the need for designing, selecting, and promoting in-service education of the total staff.
- Assists in the coordinating and provision staff development activities.
- Assists teachers in their professional improvement efforts in fulfillment of their duties.
- Participates in professional improvement activities and in-service training programs.
Assists the principal in developing a shared strategic vision for the improvement of teaching and learning principally at the Early Childhood level.
- Assists in the continuous renewal of curriculum and teaching and learning policies and methods.
- Provides leadership and direction in the installation of new programs, and reviews and evaluates new program guides with appropriate personnel.
- Pursues and encourages the development of innovative curriculum and instructional programs.
Assists the principal in overseeing the total school operation, including administrative, fiscal, and personnel functions, and responsibility for facilities.
- Assumes the role of the principal in his/her absence.
- Prepares administrative reports and other materials as required or appropriate.
- Attends school-wide community meetings as appropriate.
- Assesses teaching competencies and classroom management, conducts evaluations in accordance with requirements.
- Assists in the maintenance of a master calendar of school programs and activities.
- Along with other members of the administration, conducts periodic checks for necessary repair and maintenance, and coordinates with other administrators in establishing repair and maintenance program priorities.
- Performs other related responsibilities as required, or assigned by the principal.
Performance of this job will be evaluated on an annual basis in accordance with provisions of the Board’s Policy. The primary evaluator will be the Early Childhood Principal with input from other staff in the school.
Academia Cotopaxi Believes:
- That each employee makes a significant contribution to our success
- That contribution should not be limited to the assigned responsibilities
- That all employees will take ownership for their professional growth
Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee to only the work identified. It is the expectation of the School that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of Academia Cotopaxi.
Salary and Benefits:
The initial contract is for 2 years, renewable by mutual agreement. A local contract will need to be signed upon arrival as per Ecuadorian regulations.
- Salary is competitive with good savings potential
- Yearly allocation for Professional Development
- Annual Housing Allowance with basic furnishings provided
- Retirement plan
- Tuition for up to two (2) dependent children
- Shipping Allowance
- Travel Allowance
- Re-signing Bonus
- Annual Home Leave
- Local health insurance policy with international provider
- Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability plan
- Super Maxi cash bonus card
- Interest-free vehicle loan
- Bereavement, maternity/paternity and sick leave
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Cover letter, not to exceed 2 pages, including the reason for your interest in this specific position
- An up-to-date resumé not to exceed two pages
- Statement of leadership philosophy, not to exceed two pages
- List of at least 3 references including current or past supervisors (with phone numbers and email addresses)
- Candidates are also encouraged to send letters of reference already in their possession and/or an up-to-date college or university placement file.
Please submit the documents directly to Madeleine Maceda Heide, Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates are encouraged to get their documents in as soon as possible and no later than February 1st.
SCHOOL DESCRIPTION AND INFORMATION
We are an English language-based international learning community that values diversity, embraces a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excellence, and inspires empathetic and ethical student leaders.
Core Value Statements:
Internal motivation drives lifelong learning.
Creativity is an integral part of excellence.
Fulfillment is realized by cultivating rigor and balance.
Challenging yourself and adapting to change is necessary for personal growth.
All people have intrinsic value and potential.
Integrity and commitment build trust.
We are responsible for being informed global citizens who understand and affect positive change.
To live up to our core values and achieve our mission, we will:
- Embody our school values within a professional culture that is inclusive, respectful, and responsive to all. (School Culture)
- Recruit, develop and retain the highest quality of faculty and staff who contribute to a continuous learning and professional environment that drives excellence. (Faculty and Staff)
- Utilize innovative practices to personalize learning, ensuring that all students achieve excellence and take ownership for their learning. (Teaching and Learning)
- Continuously integrate cutting edge technology to purposefully extend learning and sustain innovative practice while instilling its responsible use in our community. (Technology)
- Ensure that our policies, procedures, and communication support our mission within a culture of professionalism, accountability, and transparency. (Organizational Development)
Academia Cotopaxi American International School is a private, independent, coeducational American international day school serving 830 students from 18 months old through grade 12. The school was founded in 1959 and is accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, as well as the International Baccalaureate Office in Geneva, recognized by the Ecuadorian Ministry of Education and is a member of the Association of American Schools in South America (AASSA). The top two nationalities enrolled are Ecuadorian and American, as well as students from 25 other nationalities. The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma is offered in the high school and the IB Primary Years Program (PYP) is offered in the elementary grades, while the Middle School offers a US-based curriculum. The school has two campuses – the Cumbaya campus is home to a bilingual early childhood program called IMAGINE, for students aged 18 months through 5 years old, and the Quito campus houses students in Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 as well as a branch of the IMAGINE program. The 15-acre Quito campus was constructed in 1991 and includes 75 classrooms, a library, large auditorium, music complex, indoor pool, gymnasium, covered courts and soccer field, two cafeterias, four computer laboratories, art rooms, Black Box Theater, three playgrounds and a large parking garage. There are 79 faculty members, 49 of them are U.S. citizens, 20 are host-country nationals, and 14 third-country nationals.
Ecuador is one of the most ecologically diverse countries in the world and offers excellent travel opportunities with its Pacific coastline beaches, the Andean mountain range, Amazon rainforests, and the world famous Galapagos Islands. Quito is a beautiful city, surrounded by mountains and volcanoes, with a historic center named as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a population of 2,200,000. At 2,850 meters (9,350 feet), it is the second highest capital in Latin America.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.