< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Apr 29, 22
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
Early Childhood Center Principal
Beijing City International School, P. R. China
The BCIS Mission is to challenge and empower students to be compassionate and inspired people, who act for the good of all and for the sustainable development of the world.
Beijing City International School was opened in September 2005. It was established to provide an international education for the expatriate communities in Beijing, as well as, uniquely, offering education to the children of internationally-minded Chinese nationals. Beijing City International School (BCIS) is a private, not-for-profit institution governed by an appointed Board of Trustees. The school is funded by tuition fees.
The school boasts purpose-built, state-of-the-art facilities specifically designed to support our curriculum and progressive teaching and learning environment. The 51,000 square meter main campus sits on of prime land in the heart of the CBD and within one kilometer of the China World Trade Centre. In 2014/2015 the Early Childhood Program (Toddler, Nursery, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten classes) transferred to a new purpose-built Early Childhood Center located approximately one kilometer from the flagship BCIS campus. This 21,000-square meter facility has been built to an extremely high standard (U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Gold Standard) of environmental sustainability, in line with the school’s mission.
BCIS is an inclusive school that admits students who can benefit from our program and whose families are committed to our school mission. BCIS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School which places a strong emphasis on personalized learning and academic rigor. We have aligned the Chinese National Curriculum with the BCIS curriculum and we are authorized to teach the IB Diploma Programme in Grades 11 and 12, the IB Middle Years Programme in Grades 6 to 10 and the IB Primary Years Programme from Nursery to Grade 5. The IB programs stress the importance of inquiry and educating the whole child. The language of instruction is English. The school is accredited by CIS and WASC and is a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS) and the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS).
Current enrollment across the two campuses is 1,300 students, with approximately 350 children at the Early Childhood Center.
About the Early Childhood Center (ECC)
We are delighted to be hosting our children in our purpose-built LEED Gold Certified air filtered facility. Our beautiful campus allows us to create unique learning environments that encourage curiosity and support individual inquiry. The campus boasts generously sized and well-resourced classrooms, seven teaching kitchens, a triple-sized gym, an indoor gross-motor play space, an amazing early childhood library, a roof-top garden and beautifully landscaped outdoor learning spaces encouraging both environmental and sensory experiences.
At the ECC we follow the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) curriculum framework and use play-based investigative pedagogy and student-centered inquiry as the vehicle for learning. We truly believe that young children learn best when they are engaged in authentic experiences and can interact freely with the environment, their peers and teachers to construct understanding and meaning. We place an emphasis on learning concepts, skills, attitudes and knowledge, and consider these early years to be of the utmost importance in preparing the children for a life of learning.
In addition, the ECC enjoys the ability to offer a collaborative intergenerational partnership between the Golden Heights retirement community and BCIS. Situated next door to the ECC campus, the retirement community is a member institute of the school’s larger parent company, YueCheng group. Research points to the benefits afforded to both the youthful and the experienced through intergenerational relationships therefore the school warmly embraces this unique opportunity to foster connections that span a number of generations.
Children at the ECC range in age from two to six years old. We have four sections of toddler (two to three-year old’s), six sections of nursery (three to four-year old’s), five sections of prekindergarten (four to five-year old’s) and five sections of kindergarten (five to six-year old’s). The ECC consists of about 35 faculty and 35 teaching assistants. The leadership team includes the ECC Principal and ECC Deputy Principal. Each of the grade levels has a Team Leader who acts as a horizontal facilitator as well as vertical Team Leaders for the areas of Literacy, Chinese Studies, Sustainability and Activities. BCIS is a mission-driven school and these school leaders are empowered to move their teams forward.
Key Areas of Responsibility for the BCIS Early Childhood Center Principal
- Provide visionary leadership for the Early Childhood Center in alignment with the BCIS mission, philosophy, strategic plan and goals.
- Develop the leadership capacity of the ECC faculty based on teamwork and collaborative decision-making.
- Strengthen the school’s foundations of play-based pedagogy and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Enhance personalized learning throughout the early childhood based on appropriate challenge, empowerment and support for all children.
- Provide necessary leadership unique to being located on a stand-alone campus while fostering strong constituent relationships and perception of being one school on two campuses.
- Serve as a member of the school-wide Educational and Instructional Leadership Teams; working closely with the other divisional principals and head of school to create a uniform vision as one school.
- Strengthen and enhance the transition experience to G1 for KG students by working closely with the learning support teams, KG teachers and ES leadership team.
Key Attributes Sought in the BCIS Early Childhood Center Principal
- Philosophical alignment with the BCIS vision, mission, strategic plan and goals.
- The ability to empower students, faculty and parents to be positive agents of change in the school.
- A passion to model, and inspire in others, a love of learning and intellectual curiosity.
- Proven educational leadership skills and accomplishments as an earlychildhood school leader.
- Excellence in communicating orally and in writing.
- The ability to gain and maintain the confidence of highly motivated teachers, parents and students.
- The ability to hire, retain and support thriving, highly motivated teachers.
- High emotional intelligence, including the capacity to respond with compassion and firmness while maintaining the respect of parents, students and colleagues from different cultures.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and delegate with confidence.
- A leadership style characterized by inclusiveness, appropriate transparency, approachability and support while remaining decisive and accountable.
- Enthusiasm to continue to contribute to the innovation of education in the host country, P.R. China.
- Sense of humor and ability to see the good in all and presume positive intentions.
- A proven record of outstanding leadership experience at a senior level.
- A graduate degree in education.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of developmental milestones of young children
- Working knowledge of the IB Primary Years Programme
- Experience of working in a culture other than your own.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be regionally competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The package includes: generous salary, furnished housing, medical insurance, annual travel allowance, shipping allowance, tuition for dependent children, ample professional development opportunities and the benefit of belonging to both a highly engaged leadership team and a warm, caring and innovative community.
Interested candidates are requested to apply to the Head of School Tom.Egerton@bcis.cn and to send the following asap:
- Cover letter
- Educational Philosophy
- Up to date contact information of four references
Applicants should visit the school website for more information about the school www.bcis.cn
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed remotely and shortly thereafter finalist candidates will be invited to Beijing to visit with the school, along with spouse, if applicable and if travel allows. Candidates are requested to submit the requested materials as early as possible, as the search committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found. The Search Committee will conduct initial interviews as applications are received.
Application deadline: open
Start date: July 2023
BCIS is an equal opportunity employer.