< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Jul 1, 14
Jul 31, 14
The Inter-Community School is committed to providing a supportive and enabling learning environment in which all members of the community are challenged to achieve their individual potential, encouraged to pursue their passions and expected to fulfill their responsibilities.
EARLY YEARS COORDINATOR JANUARY or AUGUST 2015
The Inter-Community School (ICS) is one of the preeminent international schools in Switzerland located in a purpose-built campus in beautiful Zumikon, a residential area on the outskirts of Zurich. ICS is an independent, co-educational day school and operates as a non-profit Foundation governed by a Board of Trustees. As the only School in Zurich fully authorized by the International Baccalaureate to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years, Middle Years and IB Diploma Programmes, ICS currently has an enrolment of 860 students, age 3-19, representing 48 countries. Instruction is conducted in English and students also learn German, the official language of the host country/Canton. As well as offering the full IB Diploma to all students, ICS champions excellence in Sports and Arts and offers students a broad range of exciting extra–curricular opportunities alongside the academic IB programme.
With a reputation for delivering academic excellence in a diverse, supportive and welcoming atmosphere, ICS is in the enviable position of needing to expand in order to meet the demands of the continuously growing international business community in Zurich.
The School is committed to an open admissions policy, and approximately 50% of the students have a mother-tongue other than English. There is a strong culture of acceptance of difference, and extensive support for the individual needs of students. The School has a very well-qualified and stable staff, including 60 Primary teachers and 25 teaching assistants, and there is a strong commitment to investing in the professional development of teachers.
ICS is accredited by CIS and NEASC. Some sample quotations from the Visiting Team Report may give a flavour of the ethos of the school:
- ‘The ICS Board and staff are deeply committed to the success of the school.’
- ‘ICS is a caring institution committed to the learning of its students and personnel.’
- ‘An ambience of respect exists between and among adults and students in the school community.’
- ‘[ICS is] a genuine community of learners [and] a teaching and learning environment that truly realises the School’s Mission and Educational Philosophy.’
ICS seeks an experienced educator who will act as a leader for the on-going development of the Early Years program (incorporating Early Years 1, Early Years 2 and Kindergarten - age level 3 to 6), and for the planning and coordination required to implement a high quality program.
The Early Years Coordinator will gain the respect and confidence of a highly motivated staff, an outstanding student body and highly supportive parents. Reporting directly to the Primary Principal the Early Years Coordinator is a member of the Primary Leadership Team, and teaches part-time in the program (8-9 periods per week).
The successful candidate will have:
- Teaching qualifications and expertise in the field of Early Childhood.
- Experience as a classroom teacher within Early Years age group with or understanding of a play-based approach to learning.
- Experience with the IB – PYP (Primary Years Program) desired.
- Understanding of the Reggio Emilia Approach to Early Childhood Education and commitment to inquiry-based pedagogy desired
- Success in working and leading a team effectively.
- High Emotional Intelligence.
The Early Years Coordinator’s duties comprise:
Program and Planning:
- Provide pedagogical leadership for a team of Early Childhood Educators in line with the philosophies of the Early Years, ICS and the PYP.
- Along with the PYP Coordinator, facilitate/lead the Early Years teaching teams through the process of planning inquiry-based learning experiences, and in the ongoing development of the Early Years curriculum.
- Facilitate collaborative Early Years team meetings using student learning and data for planning and reflection; share best practice, and engage in pedagogical discourse to further develop student learning.
- Identify, organize and facilitate Early Years events dependent in response to student/staff/parent needs, including: field trips, parent workshops/ information sessions, open mornings, and professional development.
- Understand the significance of collaborative relationships between the school and parents, and work to build these.
- Work with teachers, parents and the Learning Support department to ensure that children’s individual needs are planned for and met.
- Plan for and coordinate the development of the Early Years budget; monitor and approve all budget expenditures.
Staffing and Leadership:
- Whenever possible, participate in the interview process and ongoing support of the Early Years staff.
- Provide leadership for the primary school
- Consider the individuals needs of all teachers and staff working within the Early Years, support teachers in their ongoing professional growth.
Ensure and oversee clear communication with families in regards to student learning within the Early Years by:
- Contributing to and editing the Early Years Blog.
- Supporting teachers in their communication with parents.
- Providing workshops, information sessions and open mornings for parents.
- Assisting admissions with school tours and questions from perspective families.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The initial contract is for two years and is renewable. The generous salary and range of benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate, with the overall package reflecting the importance of the position.
PARTICULARS OF THE SEARCH
Interested candidates should email a full letter of application, a statement of personal educational philosophy, detailed resume/curriculum vitae, and three referees. The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open testimonials for confidential statements. Applications should be received by 31st July 2014 and short-listed candidates will be invited for interview in September 2014. The School reserves the right to extend an offer to the right candidate at any stage after the close of the applications deadline.
Applications should be sent to:
Ms Mary-Lyn Campbell,
Head of School
please quote Early Years Coordinator in the subject.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.