< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dawn Darling
Dec 3, 13
Jan 15, 14
Frankfurt International School (FIS), one of Europe’s largest and oldest international schools, seeks an experienced educator for our Elementary School division (Grades 2 - 5). FIS comprises four divisions and has a total enrolment of 1770 students on two campuses.
The Assistant Principal/ PYP Coordinator supports the Principal in carrying out his duties as the instructional leader of the division. The Assistant Principal assumes the Principal’s responsibility in his absence and takes a leadership role in the areas of supervision of instruction, coordination of the PYP curriculum, student activities, communicating with school wide support services, student conduct, emergency planning and student safety. The initial contract will be for two years but a longer commitment is envisioned. Interested candidates should contact the Assistant Head of School no later than 15 January 2014.
Executives of major international companies in the region established Frankfurt International School in 1961. Over our 50-year history, FIS has grown to become one of the most prominent international schools in Europe. The Waldlust campus, located in picturesque Oberursel at the base of the Taunus Mountains, comprises the Upper School of 900 students, the Elementary School of 420 students, and the Administrative Offices. A purpose built Primary School is located a short walk through the woods. FIS also has a division in Wiesbaden (FISW), comprising an early childhood to Grade 6 school (with plans to expand to grade 8) of about 150 students, approximately 30 km from the main campus.
Our mission is to be the leading culturally diverse and family-oriented international school with English as the principal language of instruction.
We inspire individuals to develop their intellect, creativity and character to become independent, adaptable, socially responsible and internationally minded citizens, by ensuring a dynamic, inquiry-driven education of the highest standard.
We believe that…
Honesty, integrity and respect are essential for building trusting relationships
Each person is unique and has equal worth
All people are responsible for their actions
Open-mindedness, empathy and compassion are essential for living in a diverse community
Developing head, heart and hand is necessary to realize one’s potential
Leading a healthy and active lifestyle improves quality of life
Expectations that are challenging lead to higher levels of performance and improve results
Commitment, enthusiasm and perseverance lead to success
Education is a shared responsibility of students, family and school
Contributing positively to society and the environment is our shared responsibility
Our lives and the life of community are enriched by diversity
Nurturing curiosity and creativity stimulates exploration and discovery throughout life
In the Primary School, at our Wiesbaden Campus and at the Elementary School, the comprehensive, inquiry-driven approach to teaching and learning is anchored in the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP).
The school year runs from early August to mid June and is divided into semesters.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
Exceptional interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
Strong organizational ability and initiative
Strong knowledge of and experience with IB PYP program
Passionate about the unique needs of learners in Grades 2 - 5
M.A./M.Ed./M.Sc. degree or equivalent preferred
Experience as an effective elementary school leader preferred
Experience with exceptional independent and/or international school programs
Experience in a school with effective technology integration
Successful teaching experience
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Assistant Principal is a member of the elementary school leadership team that implements, supervises, and evaluates curriculum
- Supports the school’s strategic plan, board policy and other relevant policy and procedural matters
- Supervises and evaluates instruction to enhance, enrich, and support student learning
- Provides curriculum leadership to Grade 2-5 teams
- Ensures a safe and positive atmosphere
- Ensures that disciplinary guidelines are fairly and consistently applied
- As a member of the leadership team, evaluates faculty and staff in accordance with prescribed procedures
- Effectively contributes to recruiting
- Uses data to improve instructional practice and maximize student learning
- Contributes to public relations within the school community, including meeting regularly with parents, and providing written articles for the school’s publications
- Ensures that the parents are well informed about school issues and events
- Ability to speak, read and write in German is a plus but not required
- Visibility and engagement with the community is expected
- Seeks and promotes faculty and staff professional development
- Provides opportunities for professional growth
- Models continuous learning and a growth mind-set
- Works with the principal and the facilities manager to ensure maintenance matters and student safety are attended to
- Has the ability to envision the design of a school of the future, where facilities best support students in a 21st century learning environment
- Maintains and ensures the accuracy of the Elementary School calendar of event
- Works in partnership with the elementary school leadership team and Administrative Council to achieve school objectives.
- Serves and leads committees as requested by the Elementary School Principal
- Promotes and models the use of technology to access, analyze and interpret school data to focus efforts on improving student learning
- Is responsible for administering the teacher substitute protocol, including the training of substitute teachers
- Contributes to the development of the schedule for students and teachers
The salary and benefits package is highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Frankfurt International School will manage the search process. Candidates are requested to submit a cover letter that includes an indication of the strengths that the candidate would bring to the position, a resume, educational philosophy, and references.
The deadline for applications is 15 January 2014. Interviews will be arranged as soon as possible thereafter, with the intention of the final selection being completed by the end of January.
Application letters of interest should be addressed to Teresa M Dupre and forwarded to Teresa_dupre@fis.edu or mailed to:
Teresa M Dupre
Assistant Head of School
Frankfurt International School
An der Waldlust 15
Additional information about Frankfurt International School can be found on the school’s website at: www.fis.edu
The School reserves the right to conclude the search prior to the dates indicated above if the right candidate is found.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.