< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 13, 20
Nov 4, 20
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
Elementary School Principal
Beijing City International School, P. R. China
The BCIS Mission is to challenge and empower students to be compassionate and inspired people, who act for the good of all and for the sustainable development of the world.
Beijing City International School was opened in September 2005. It was established to provide an international education for the expatriate communities in Beijing, as well as, uniquely, offering education to the children of internationally-minded Chinese nationals. Beijing City International School (BCIS) is a private, not-for-profit institution governed by an appointed Board of Trustees. The school is funded by tuition fees.
The school boasts purpose-built, state-of-the-art facilities specifically designed to support our curriculum and progressive teaching and learning environment. The 51,000 square meter main campus sits on of prime land in the heart of the CBD and within one kilometer of the China World Trade Centre. In 2014/2015 the Early Childhood Program (Toddler, Nursery, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten classes) transferred to a new purpose-built Early Childhood Center located approximately one kilometer from the flagship BCIS campus. This 21,000-square meter facility has been built to an extremely high standard (U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Gold Standard) of environmental sustainability, in line with the school’s mission.
BCIS is an inclusive school that admits students who can benefit from our program and whose families are committed to our school mission. BCIS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School which places a strong emphasis on personalized learning and academic rigor. We have aligned the Chinese National Curriculum with the BCIS curriculum and we are authorized to teach the IB Diploma Programme in Grades 11 and 12, the IB Middle Years Programme in Grades 6 to 10 and the IB Primary Years Programme from Nursery to Grade 5. In addition to the IBDP, BCIS offers a BCIS Diploma program that been aptly named IDEATE (ID8) and focuses on Innovation, Arts, and Enterprise. In addition to a rigorous course load, ID8 students complete projects, in-depth studies and internships in relevant areas of interest. The language of instruction is English. The school is accredited by CIS and WASC and is a member of the Council of International Schools (CIS), the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS) and the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS).
Current enrollment across the two campuses is 1,200 students, with approximately 440 children in the Elementary School (ES) division.
About the Elementary School (ES)
The Elementary School covers all of Grades 1 to 5, with four classes at each of the grade levels. The ES is hosted on the main campus in its own purpose built building allowing us to create unique learning environments that encourage curiosity and support individual inquiry. The campus boasts generously sized and well-resourced classrooms, a teaching kitchen, a large library, a MakerSpace and specialist learning areas for art and music. The ES shares a triple-sized gym, swimming pool and theatre with the Secondary School students.
At the ES we follow the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) curriculum framework and use inquiry-based pedagogy and student-centered inquiry as the vehicle for learning. We truly believe that children learn best when they are engaged in authentic experiences and can interact freely with the environment, their peers and teachers to construct understanding and meaning. We place an emphasis on learning concepts, skills, attitudes and knowledge, and consider these formative years to be of the utmost importance in preparing the children for a life of learning.
Children at the ES range in age from six to 11 years old. The ES division consists of 47 faculty and 24 teaching assistants. The ES leadership team includes the ES Principal and ES Deputy Principal and the ES PYP curriculum coordinator. Each of the grade levels has a Team Leader, who acts as a horizontal facilitator as well as vertical Team Leaders for the areas of Literacy, Chinese Studies, Sustainability and Learning Support. BCIS is a mission-driven school and these school leaders are empowered to move their teams forward.
Key Areas of Responsibility for the BCIS Elementary Principal
- Provide visionary leadership for the ES in alignment with the BCIS mission, philosophy, strategic plan and goals.
- Develop the leadership capacity of the ES faculty based on teamwork and collaborative decision-making.
- Strengthen the school’s foundations of inquiry-based pedagogy and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Enhance personalized learning throughout the elementary years based on appropriate challenge, empowerment and support for all children.
- Provide necessary leadership for the further development of the curriculum, pedagogy and instructional strategies within the ES.
- Lead the ES in the next critical and exciting phase of its development.
- Serve as a member of the school-wide Educational and Instructional Leadership Teams.
Key Attributes Sought in the BCIS Elementary Principal
- Philosophical alignment with the BCIS vision, mission, strategic plan and goals.
- The ability to empower students, faculty and parents to be positive agents of change in the school.
- A passion to model, and inspire in others, a love of learning and intellectual curiosity.
- Proven educational leadership skills and accomplishments as an elementary school leader.
- Excellence in communicating orally and in writing.
- The ability to gain and maintain the confidence of highly motivated teachers, parents and students.
- The ability to hire, retain and support thriving, highly motivated teachers.
- High emotional intelligence, including the capacity to respond with compassion and firmness while maintaining the respect of parents, students and colleagues from different cultures.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and delegate with confidence.
- A leadership style characterized by inclusiveness, appropriate transparency, openness, approachability and support while remaining decisive and accountable.
- Enthusiasm to continue to contribute to the innovation of education in the host country, P.R. China.
- Sense of humor and ability to see the good in all and presume positive intentions.
- A proven record of outstanding leadership experience at a senior level.
- A graduate degree in education.
- Current and deep knowledge and understanding of elementary educational practices.
- Working knowledge of the IB Primary Years Programme.
- Experience of working in a culture other than your own.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be regionally competitive and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The package includes: generous salary, furnished housing, medical insurance, annual travel allowance, shipping allowance, tuition for dependent children, ample professional development opportunities and the benefit of belonging to both a highly engaged leadership team and a warm, caring and innovative community.
Candidates are requested to apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and to send the following by the closing date of 4th November 2020:
- Cover letter
- Educational Philosophy
- Up to date contact information of four references
Applicants should visit the school website for more information about the school www.bcis.cn
Short listed candidates will be contacted for virtual interviews, if outside of China, during the month of November. For final candidates, comprehensive virtual interviews with members of the community will be held in late November/early December. If candidates are within China an on-site interview schedule will be arranged.
It is assumed that a decision regarding the next BCIS Elementary Principal would be announced to the community prior to December 18th.
Application deadline 4th November 2020
Start date 1st August 2021
The deadline for applications will remain open until 4th November 2020. Candidates should note, however, that in the event outstanding applicants are identified early in the search process, BCIS reserves the right to make an appointment. For this reason, it is important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.