< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 28, 20
Nov 2, 20
M’KIS Elementary School Principal Position Description
Open Date: September 4, 2020
Closing Date: November 2, 2020
Situated on a single campus in the suburb of Mont’Kiara, M’KIS consistently ranks as a top international school in Malaysia.
In operation since 1994, we are a fully accredited Pre-kindergarten through Grade 12 international school that predominantly caters to expatriate families. With a world-class curriculum, dynamic teachers from across the globe, and students from more than 50 nationalities, M’KIS has grown into an internationally minded and diverse school.
At M’KIS, we believe in nurturing not just academic excellence, but intellectual curiosity and a deep appreciation for community. We offer a challenging and stimulating curriculum with an international perspective that prepares students for the demands of an increasingly complex world. Supported by engaged and passionate parents, we empower our students to become kind, thoughtful, and transformative leaders.
M’KIS is licensed by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia, and certified by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency. We are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), U.S.A. and authorized as an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. M'KIS is now one of a few select IB World Schools in Malaysia delivering the continuum of IB programmes, from the Primary Years Programme (PYP) to the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and the Diploma Programme (DP).
Mission, Vision, and Values
Mission: Educate to improve our global community by enhancing the creative, emotional, social and academic talents of the individual child.
Vision: Educational excellence in a diverse and compassionate personalized learning community.
- Belonging and Connection
- Kindness and Compassion
- Excellence and Positivity
Campus and Neighborhood
As our school has grown, Mont’Kiara has flourished into one of the most sought after locations in Kuala Lumpur. New condominiums, shopping complexes, and housing developments have given rise to a significant increase in population in a neighborhood that draws expats from all over the world.
M’KIS has expanded alongside this influx of families. Over the last 25 years, we’ve undertaken ambitious campus improvement projects including new athletic and playground facilities, investments in technology and innovation, and the expansion of creative and performing arts spaces.
Position Title: Elementary School Principal, Mont’Kiara International School (Malaysia)
Mont’Kiara International School is seeking a dynamic, passionate, and highly-qualified educator for the role of Elementary School Principal. The person appointed to the position will provide academic and administrative leadership to the Elementary School learning community.
The ideal candidate will be a caring and thoughtful individual, experienced in leading an Elementary School faculty towards inclusive teaching practices to meet the needs of diverse learners.
He/she will demonstrate competency as an inspirational and progressive pedagogical leader with strong organizational and management skills. The Elementary School Principal will successfully guide the Elementary School School in providing what is best about an international education through the framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP).
The successful candidate will support the school’s mission and core values with a proven track record of success and outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
The Elementary School Principal directly reports to the Head of School, and is selected and appointed by the Head of School with the approval of the Board of Governors. The Principal will be evaluated by the Head of School in the months of December and June during the first year of service, and in May for subsequent annual evaluations.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Administers, supervises and evaluates instructional and co-curricular programs
- Promotes positive communication between faculty members, students, staff members and parents and, when necessary, serves as a liaison between these groups
- Conducts activities, events and surveys to gain input from students, parents and faculty members relative to meeting student needs and program improvement
- Provides leadership and direction for an educational program that is consistent with the school's Mission, Vision, Values and IB Learner Profile
- Evaluates, with prescribed procedures, all assigned personnel on an annual and semi-annual basis
- Supervises, and is responsible for, all elementary student and personnel records
- Interviews local faculty member applicants and classroom support staff and makes appropriate recommendations to the Head of School
- Coordinates staff development programs for instructional staff on faculty member workdays and planned in-service days
- Supervises efforts to improve the academic achievement of students at all ability levels
- Supervise the discipline and management of students by enforcing school policies and rules and follows through with the faculty members, staff and parents as needed
- Reviews, evaluates and coordinates departmental budget requests in preparing a preliminary school budget; following budget adoption, administers school budget, recommends changes, if any, and keeps necessary records
- Is responsible for publications that regularly inform the parents and community about educational programs, special events and changes in routines and schedules
- Informs/orients and confers with all assigned personnel regarding their assigned duties/ responsibilities
- Is responsible for the care, distribution, and accounting of all textbooks, instructional supplies and materials
- In cooperation with others, conducts and coordinates periodic needs assessments of all school programs (existing and proposed), reporting the results and any recommendations to the Head of School
- Maintains an up-to-date Course of Study for all subjects taught at the school
- Requires, approves and monitors teacher preparation of student performance standards and proposed means of assessing is the same for each subject taught
- Requires and monitors faculty member preparation/execution of lessons/units
- Establishes a liaison with school and community agencies in Kuala Lumpur
- Prepares the master schedule in collaboration with the faculty
- Prepares and updates the faculty/staff handbook in collaboration with the faculty and staff
- Prepares and updates the student/parent handbook in collaboration with the faculty
- Assumes other responsibilities as directed by the Head of School
- Teacher and Principal certification or equivalent
- Master's Degree in Educational Leadership or related area
- Successful international school teaching and administrative experience
- Demonstrated record of successful leadership and excellent organization and management skills
- Prior experience with and commitment to sustaining the IB Primary Years Programme
- Experience as an educational leader in a standards-based grading and reporting environment
- Demonstrated success recruiting, mentoring, evaluating, and retaining teachers
- Supportive, caring, and approachable
- Excellent listener and clear communicator
- Equitable and accountability-focused decision maker
- Student-centered leader
- Visible, relationship-focused, and active in the community
- Positive, open-minded, and has a sense of humor
- Organized and collaborative
- Tech-savvy and willing to learn new things
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits are highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
To apply, please submit an updated resume, cover letter and three references in one complete pdf file to email@example.com