< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jun 12, 20
Jul 30, 20
Verdala International School seeks an
Elementary School Principal for August 2021
Based on the island of Malta in the central Mediterranean, Verdala International School (VIS) is an independent, co-educational pre-K to 12 school with around 515 students and is the school of choice for many of the international residents in Malta.
Founded in 1976 to serve the children of expatriate families living in Malta, VIS has gone through considerable change over the past 40+ years and since 1985 has been a non-profit foundation. The school is very proud to boast 47 Nationalities that make up the community of families and staff. Based in the historic site of Fort Pembroke and two army barracks, VIS is a non-selective school offering IPC, IMYC, IGCE & IBDP; programmes that provide academic rigour, balance, and personal challenge.
To be the International School of Choice, celebrating diversity, empowering and inspiring future generations.
At VIS we strive to ensure that all of our students become knowledgeable, inquisitive and ethical contributors to our world.
VIS Educational Philosophy
- To prepare our students to be ready for tomorrow’s world by encouraging learning through inspirational education using 21st century learning methods.
- To create a unique environment where each student can grow and discover their true potential.
- To promote an enquiring mind with a thirst for knowledge.
- To embrace diversity in our multicultural society.
- We trust that a caring inclusive community will help build a sense of self-worth and a profound respect for others.
VIS is searching for a positive and pro-active Elementary Principal who will lead the staff, parents and students through the next stages of our strategic plan, which is focused on curriculum alignment and improvement of teaching & learning. This person should be willing to foster professional growth within all staff, support students to contribute across all aspects of school life; academic, social and environmental and maintain a positive school spirit. VIS is seeking an experienced administrator who has a good understanding of inquiry learning (IPC Curriculum) and a holistic mindset. VIS has a strong whole school community spirit and as such the Leadership Team meets regularly and works collaboratively to align the school in all areas; teaching & learning, school culture and well-being.
The Elementary School
VIS is in a unique setting that gives an impression of an established school that is on a journey, as the old buildings remind us of its history, when you walk inside the Elementary building you step into a buzzing school that has recently been refurbished and is on a journey into the 21st century.
The students start at PK1 (age 3) up to Grade 5 (age 11), with two classes per grade except PK1, around 250 students. The Early Childhood center stands separately to the main building and is a hub of activity that supports inquiry-driven learning working alongside a piloted Emilia Regio approach. The main Elementary building houses G1-G5, an Art room, a Co-Laboratory, ES Library and recently refurbished classrooms. The outside area is used for play-time as well as the sports facilities which are shared with Middle School; an astro turf and basketball court.
Elementary has nearly 50 staff, across many Nationalities, which includes Class teachers, teaching assistants (one per grade) and Learning Support Educators. The Pedagogical Leadership team is made up of the Principal and a Junior IPC Coordinator and Infants IPC Coordinator. Milepost Leaders oversee the team of teachers across each Milepost, Specialists teach Spanish, EAL, Music, Drama, PE and Art.
Our Elementary School is working on a range of areas to enhance and improve the students’ experience that include:
- MSA “Sustaining Excellence” Action-based Research project
- Integrating Edtech across Elementary
- Supporting the Masterplan New Building project (includes EY classrooms)
The requirements for a successful candidate are:
- A minimum of two year’s experience in a senior school leadership position
- Experience of leadership of an inquiry curriculum
- Academic Qualifications at Masters level
- A supporter of the school’s current strategic plan
- A strong HR Leader who can coach and foster professional growth
- A 21st century educator with progressive Edtech ideas and experience
- Experience and understanding of best practice in differentiation and inclusion
- Experience of working with a diverse, multi-cultural and international community
- Experience of an accreditation process
- A research-based educator
- A supporter of holistic learning and service learning possibilities
- A team-player who is willing to listen, reflect and contribute
- An effective communicator
- Can demonstrate good interpersonal skills, efficient organisation and resourcefulness
- Pro-active and decisive when appropriate
- Able to manage the challenges and complexities of school-life by being both comfortable on the race-course or stuck in traffic
- A genuine interest in young people and fostering their potential
- Visible and engaging with all members of the community
- Trustworthy and transparent
- Willingness to share in healthy debate and to see the lighter side when appropriate
The school’s strategic direction was established through a community effort during 2017-18. The school’s overarching goal was to build on our unique strengths to ensure that we are a collaborative community that values and prepares students to contribute and achieve. The key areas for development are:
Quality in Teaching & Learning
- A collaborative culture that ensures excellence
Communication, Connectivity and Community
- Value and communicate our unique identity to ensure effective collaboration and expansion of knowledge
Effective Leadership & Governance
- Sustainability and accountability, transparency and trust
Our Learning Environment
- Enhance and develop our unique environment to serve the educational needs of the students
- To further develop and sustain a financial model in order to serve and realize the educational ambitions
Areas for improvement have been detailed in the five year Strategic Plan Action Plan (2017-2022) and support our MSA Accreditation process (2020-21).
Malta is a small island in the Mediterranean, a member of the EU, with a population of around 450,000. There is an international feel to the island as its history is woven across the Maltese, Arabic, Italian and British influences. The island is 27km long and 14.5 km wide, therefore it doesn’t take too long to get anywhere. Its sister island, the much quieter island of Gozo is a 25 minute ferry-ride away. Sicily is also accessible by ferry, 80km away. Malta is a tourist island however also plays hosts to many international conferences as it has a busy international airport with flights all across Europe including a range of budget airlines.
The school is in the quiet residential of Pembroke, many families live near to the school, those that are further afield use the public bus or the school transport.
How to Apply:
Please go to the school website to get a flavor of the school and download the job description: www.verdala.org/
Applicants must include the following to be considered:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages)
- Contact details of three references, one should be the current Head of School
- A video (2-3 mins. Max.) showing the candidate talking about their personal educational philosophy, this should be in either a shareable link or a .MOV or .MP4 format
All of the above should be sent to email@example.com by 30 July 2020.
Candidates will go through a layered online interview process that includes:
(i) Long-list interviews with two panels (Curriculum & Pastoral) via zoom
(ii) Short list candidates will
- participate in a DISC profile exercise and follow-up session with outsourced leadership coach
- Final interview with Leadership Team
GDPR: All recordings, videos and documentation will be deleted once the interview process is over and no later than Nov 2020.