< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - No longer accepting applications
Mar 17, 14
Apr 14, 14
Singapore American School
Executive Director of Human Resources
We thank you for your interest in possible opportunities at Singapore American School (SAS).
SAS is committed to providing each student with an exemplary American education. Central to that are our six “Institutional Commitments”. We are seeking faculty and staff who subscribe to these ideals and who wish to collaborate, innovate, and make a positive difference within the SAS community. Our Institutional Commitments are:
1) Professional Learning Communities
- This is our overarching commitment as our collaborative work underlies all that we do
2) Common, Guaranteed, Viable Curriculum
- Develop and refine quality UbD units in Atlas to clarify intended teaching and learning
3) Evidence of Learning
- Implement Assessment Guidelines (in 2013-14 include Grading Guidelines, in 2014-15 include Reporting Guidelines) to establish clarity, consistency and coherence
- Use data or evidence to inform decision-making
4) Great Teaching and Learning - Every Student, Every Day
- Use appropriate instructional practices to support mastery of desired learning outcomes
5) Integration of Technology
- Utilize technology integration to extend and enrich student learning
6) Healthy Organizational Culture
- Exhibit the SAS Core Values of honesty, compassion, fairness, responsibility, and respect to support a positive and learning-focused culture
The Executive Director of Human Resources provides leadership for the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of school-wide human resource and policy functions. The administrator will be charged with oversight of all aspects of Human Resources for 650+ employees. This individual will directly supervise five employees in the HR office and will collaborate extensively with school and central office leadership in recruitment, hiring, and supervision of faculty and staff.
- Lead and collaborate with a team of five professionals in the HR office to execute HR policy and practice.
- Annually develop and implement human resources objectives focused on continuous improvement aligned with the SAS Strategic Plan and SAS business practices.
- Provide information and guidance on HR-related issues as changes are made in school programming and recommended initiatives.
- Develop, implement and enforce human resource policies and administrative regulations.
- Meet with faculty and staff regularly as needs arise related to HR functions.
- Generate accurate and timely employment contracts that properly outline compensation and benefits.
- Cultivate strategies to attract and retain high quality, high performing staff and faculty.
- Collaborate with Deputy Superintendent, division leadership, and the Office of Learning in the implementation of evaluation and performance systems for both faculty and staff.
- Establish and maintain a positive and collaborative relationship with the Education Services Union and Faculty Senate and liaise with these groups to the Superintendent.
- Collaborate with the Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent and attend meetings for the Education Services Union and Faculty Senate, and follow up on action items from those meetings.
- Ensure SAS compliance with all labor and employment practices in Singapore.
- Investigate comparative information on HR practices in Singapore and amongst similar International Schools.
- Recruit permanent and substitute employees.
- Frequently monitor competitiveness of the compensation and benefits package in collaboration with the Assistant Superintendent of Finance/Operations.
- Implementation of digital systems for HR management.
- Create action plans focused on meeting competitive targets for compensation as necessary.
- Oversee all aspects of new hire transition, including relocation processes for all overseas hire faculty.
- Oversee all aspects of departing faculty and staff processes, including relocation elements for overseas hires.
- Coordinate and collaborate with insurance broker and insurer to resolve issues and ensure seamless administration of health care benefits for all employees.
- Coordinate all leadership team recruiting, interviewing, and hiring processes.
- Ensure that hiring and onboarding processes are consistent among all divisions, and document all steps of these processes.
- Coordinate, supervise and ensure annual evaluation of all central office HR staff.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Superintendent of Finance to provide data supporting budgeting processes annually.
- Model the core values of compassion, fairness, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Represent SAS in a professional manner at all times.
- Assume other professional responsibilities as assigned by the Superintendent.
Terms of Employment:
The successful candidate will be offered a two-year initial contract with subsequent year to year contracts contingent upon demonstrated achievement towards annual goals.
Qualifications and Characteristics Sought:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree with preference given to an advanced degree in Human Resources, Policy & Management, Educational Administration, or similar field of study.
- Experience in Human Resources, with preference given to experience in an organization that works with an expatriate work force and/or K-12 schools.
- Dynamic leadership that can build a comprehensive human resources program aligning with the vision and mission of SAS.
- Capacity to work effectively and collaboratively with broad and diverse teams, actively solving complex problems and ensuring effective solutions.
- Understand the unique needs of an international school environment, and how that environment impacts human resource practice.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of employee performance and evaluation systems.
- Well rounded and robust experience with coaching, mentoring, and professional development practices.
- Effective and successful leadership of a team in a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Proven successful experience with employee contracts, negotiations, and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding best practices in human resource administration.
- Proficiency with integrating technology and implementing data systems to support human resources functions.
- Personal proficiency with technology systems.
- Proven commitment to sound fiscal practices, wise allocation of resources, and accurate fiscal modeling of compensation and benefit systems
- Maintain confidentiality around sensitive issues and practice sound judgment.
- Model highest levels of integrity and professionalism at all times.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Passion for the school environment and an understanding and respect of the work involved in teaching and working within a school.
Interested and qualified candidates should complete our on-line application via the following link.
http://www.sas.edu.sg/page.cfm?p=376 (“Working at SAS”)
Application Deadline is: 14 April, 2014 at 3:00 PM Singapore time.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.