< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Dec 19, 19
Jan 22, 20
LIVING THE STAMFORD AMERICAN VISION AND VALUES
In 2018, following a great deal of community consultation, we launched our 20/20 Strategic Vision. This included our Strategic Priorities along with our Mission, Vision, and Values Guiding Statements. SAIS staff gathered for a professional development day dedicated to exploring what our vision and values mean, how we live these these values in what we do at school and how we can all ultimately inspire our students to create their own futures. A community artwork was created inspired by the contributions of all staff from the breakout sessions.
At Stamford American, we inspire students to create their unique future.
Together, we cultivate a culture of optimism, excellence, and empowerment for everyone by developing the mind-set and skills to thrive in a complex world.
Acting with a genuine desire for transparency, honesty and respect.
Empowering our community to embrace risks and to see challenges as opportunities to grow.
Striving to build a creative culture of resilience, resourcefulness and thoughtful expression.
Fostering a caring community that embraces and celebrates all cultures, beliefs and perspectives.
OUR BRILLIANT LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
In 2009, Stamford American International School was established in Singapore, following a Referral for Interest program, introduced by the Economic Development Board. The school opened with 75 students and has now grown to more than 3,200 students with a state of the art campus in an inclusive and diverse learning environment.
Two Bespoke Campuses - 10 Minutes from Each Other
JOIN OUR VIBRANT SCHOOLS GROUP
Stamford American is a part of Cognita, a world leading international schools group, currently encompassing 73 schools across 3 continents. Each of our schools is as individual as its students, but we all share one common purpose: to create an inspiring world of education.
Cognita understands the difference that great teaching makes, and knows that teachers are central to unlocking the potential of every child in its schools. Underpinning this is ‘The CognitaWay’ – six focal points we know to be present in the most successful schools: energized leadership, personalized learning, people growth, community, innovation and brilliant basics. Cognita’s commitment to its staff is therefore equally strong, and the group offers excellent career opportunities with a global dimension.
DELIVERING GREAT RESULTS
Our students have been accepted into competitive universities around the world including: London School of Economics, Kings College London, McGill University, Emory University, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, Rhode Island School of Design, University of California San Diego, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, University of Durham, University of St. Andrews, University of Warwick, University of Sydney, University of Hong Kong, Waseda University and more.
University Offers by Country
HOLISTIC EXPERIENCE AT STAMFORD AMERICAN
Sports and Co-Curricular Activities (CCA)
Stamford’s Co-Curricular Activities (CCA) Program allows students the opportunity to explore their unique talents, develop new skills and personalize their learning journey at Stamford. We believe holistic education requires stretching boundaries and as such Stamford encourages all students to get involved in the after-school opportunities available.
We offer over 350 CCA choices and a strong Athletics Program enabling our student-athletes to participate in 106 tournaments and over 450 games during a sporting year, both locally and internationally. With quality facilities on-site and, experienced professional coaches, students can pick up a range of sport including badminton, soccer, swimming, rugby, tennis, softball, touch rugby, volleyball, gymnastics, golf, basketball and cross-country.
South East Asia Student Activities Conference (SEASAC)
In 2017 Stamford became a member school of the South East Asia Student Activities Conference (SEASAC). This places Stamford in an elite Sports and Co-Curricular Activities league with 14 other member schools in the region. SEASAC activities include arts, badminton, basketball, cross-country, golf, gymnastics, Model United Nations (MUN), soccer, swimming, rugby, tennis and volleyball, which represents a wonderful mix of interests and talents.
SEASAC exists to support International schools in South East Asia in achieving their educational goals. Through a range of sporting and artistic activities, it aims to promote closer links among teachers, administrators and students of its member schools; encourage opportunities for healthy competition and the pursuit of excellence; develop and extend social and cultural interaction; and to promote an appreciation of the rights, dignity and worth of every person.
At Stamford American, we recognize that no single element of learning works in isolation. Our experiential Field Studies Program commences from Grade 3 and allows our students to develop as ecologically literate, compassionate and engaged global citizens through experiences beyond the classroom
Art & Drama
With a dedicated 500-seat theater, Stamford American puts on 10 full-scale productions annually, offering our students many opportunities to nurture ambitions to act or direct. Our Visual Arts Program enables our students to communicate in powerful ways beyond their spoken language. In addition to showcasing their works in school, our students also enjoy the opportunity of doing so at inter-school events. They are also fortunate to learn from visiting artists in our Artist-In-Residence Program.
At Stamford American, we introduce music from as early as 18 months at Pre-Nursery with songs and dance, moving on to the theory and technical aspects of music in the Elementary and Secondary School. We are the first and only to have the Suzuki Violin Program from age 3 with the opportunity to progress to Cello at age 5. Specialist Instrumental Music Program (IMP) is also available across 12 instruments. Whether its weekly lunchtime performances, choral, string, orchestra or rock ensembles, our students have the opportunity to showcase their musical talents.
The reliance on technology today makes us more aware of preparing our students on their responsibilities as global digital citizens. With our 1:1 iPad Program (KG 2 to G5) and 1:1 MacBook Program (Middle & High School), we have a forward thinking curriculum which harnesses technology to accelerate innovation in teaching and learning for all of the Stamford community.
Join Our Team
ABOUT THE POSITION
Cognita Schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, volunteers and other third parties to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice and pre-employment background checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed.
Position Title: Executive Director of Teaching & Learning
Manager Title: Early Years Principal
Position Type: Fixed Term
Position Status: Full Time
Start Date: August 1, 2020
The Executive Director of Teaching and Learning reports to the Superintendent, serves as a key member of the school’s leadership team and works closely with faculty, division principals, IB coordinators, support services, instructional coaches, Heads of Department and senior leadership. The ideal candidate will have strong teaching and curriculum experience, a deep knowledge of child development and exceptional communication skills. The candidate will embrace a whole child approach to learning, making student needs the center of his/her decision making.
Curriculum, Pedagogy and Assessment
Recruitment, Hiring and Retention of Faculty
- Coordinates the Orientation / Induction program for new faculty.
- Manages a faculty mentoring program that includes: training and assigning mentors, developing and overseeing mentoring activities, monitoring mentoring relationships, evaluating the mentoring program’s effectiveness.
- Works with school leadership to develop a staffing plan that meets programmatic needs.
- Oversees the Early Years through G12 Director of Professional Learning (new support position) to organize, manage and promote all school professional development programs (organization of in-service days, in-house workshops, conference attendees and presenters).
- Acts as a leader in professional learning, presenting workshops to faculty and other audiences where appropriate.
- Works in conjunction with the Director of Professional Learning to partner with division principals to coordinate individual faculty development plans.
- Demonstrates continued professional growth through participation in professional activities and organizations.
- Serves as a member of the Executive Leadership Team & Strategy Team.
- Studies, evaluates and as appropriate, recommends to the Superintendent and the Principals the adoption of new instructional materials, methods and programs.
- Co-facilitates the SAIS accreditation process with the Deputy Superintendent (+Reporting Line for Accreditation Liaison switches to DS).
- Leads and assists with additional projects mutually agreed upon with the Superintendent.
- Supports effective implementation of strategic initiatives designated in the strategic plan.
- Acts as a significant member of the Pedagogical Leadership Teams at all divisions of the school
Position Requirements and Qualifications
- Master’s Degree required
- Substantial years of relevant teaching and/or administrative experience with proven effectiveness in leading instructional growth
- Deep understanding of research related to K-12 learning
- Deep understanding of differentiated instruction, curriculum development, educational technology and social-emotional learning
- International Baccalaureate training and experience in PYP, MYP, DP and AP
- Experience in infusing innovation into curriculum and instruction
- Experience in fostering an inclusive learning community
- Educational innovator and implementer – inspiring continual innovation and creativity, and connecting student learning beyond the classroom
- Navigator of diverse constituencies through collaboration, team-building, and diplomacy
- Management experience / strong leadership skills—someone able to hone strategic priorities, attract talent, delegate effectively, motivate others to grow, and solve problems effectually, mixing collaboration and decisiveness as needed
- Community-minded, involved and inclusive
- Visible and vibrant, approachable, and accessible to students and adult constituencies
- Strong written/verbal communication skills as internal and external communicator
- International experience preferred, cultural competence required
- An excellent listener and communicator who can synthesize disparate points of view into a coherent, well-organized narrative for a variety of audiences
- Ability to conduct productive meetings which encourage high levels of thinking and facilitate collaborative, learning-focused dialogues
- A skillful and experienced coach
- Able to lead strategic initiatives to completion while anticipating issues and identifying effective solutions
- Self-reflective educator who is optimistic and models a growth mindset
- Demonstrates a high level of work, personal and professional ethics
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively
- Active involvement in school functions
- Exemplifies the IB learner profile – knowledgeable, inquirer, open-minded, principled, caring, communicator, risk taker, thinker, balanced, reflective
- Resilient - able to work long hours depending on demands of the job at various times throughout the year
- Demonstrate the Stamford Values – Integrity, Courage, Ingenuity and Compassion
Overview of Compensation and Benefits
Stamford American International School offers competitive compensation and benefits to all successful candidates.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Professional development opportunities
Benefits you will be entitled to for you and your family
- Monthly housing allowance
- Relocation assistance, flights & shipping
- Annual home flights
- Up to 10 nights’ stay at School-designated hotel upon arrival in Singapore
- 6 months’ interest free loan for rental deposits & advance rental and assistance to locate a suitable apartment
- School fees discount for up to 2 of your children aged 2 years and above
- Comprehensive medical insurance for self and dependents
- Personal Accident insurance coverage
- Sick/hospitalization leave
- Based at the Stamford American International School campuses with occasional travel for the purpose of training/professional development.
- 5 days/week plus weekend and holiday duties as required.
Terms of Employment
Working Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Annual Leave: 30 working days
Probation Period: 3 months from date of commencement
Reference Check: Required
Background Check : Required
How to Apply
We are delighted that you are interested in joining our Stamford American community in Singapore. Stamford American welcomes applications from qualified, experienced administrators looking for a vibrant, challenging and rewarding leadership experience.
Candidates are evaluated on following key areas:
- Inspirational leadership
- high quality teaching practice
- contribution to learning area and curriculum development
- relationships with students, staff and parents
- contribution to the whole school
Interested candidates can send in their applications to email@example.com along with:
- Cover letter including educational philosophy
- Curriculum vitae
- SAIS Job Application form - available on the school careers section at www.sais.edu.sg
January 22, 2020