< Back to Leadership Vacancies
The American International School of Bolivia (AISB) (Bolivia)
Jul 26, 19
Sep 20, 19
The American International School of Bolivia (AISB)
in Cochabamba, Bolivia
effective July 2020
A challenging, multicultural and inclusive education providing the tools to shape independent thinkers and engaged leaders who can affect change in a globalized society.
To promote critical and creative individuals that can reach their full potential through experiential learning, innovative technology, and effective instruction in a multicultural and multilingual context.
AISB’s Core Values
- Tolerance – accepting differences
- Integrity – incorruptible, coherent between what one says and does
- Respect – for ourselves, others, and the environment
- Honesty – being true to oneself and others
- Empathy – to understand and share the feelings of another.
- Solidarity – to support, work, and care for others
- Responsibility – being accountable for your actions
- Perseverance – to strive for excellence
The International School of Bolivia (AISB) was founded in 1993 as a coeducational nonprofit school offering preschool through 12th grade. Its student body currently numbers 773 (June 2019), and it is located in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
AISB’s educational system spans preschool through the IB diploma program in 11th and 12th grade and is intended for students of different nationalities and socioeconomic backgrounds.
The school’s infrastructure is designed to meet the academic needs of different levels: preschool, primary school and secondary school. This infrastructure includes specialized classrooms equipped with the necessary technology for each discipline, a science and biology lab, physics lab, chemistry lab, computer labs, technology classroom, physical and digital library, counselors/psychologists office, college counselor office, technological resources in each classroom, sports fields (multi-sport court, soccer fields, pool), recreational areas (playground and gardens), cafeteria and nurse’s office.
AISB´s Accreditations and Affiliations
AISB operates under license R.S. 108 issued by
- The Bolivian Ministry of Education.
AISB is accredited by:
- AdvancED (Re-accreditation Engagement Review Team visit scheduled for March 2020)
AISB is authorized by:
- The International Baccalaureate Organization to offer the IBDP
AISB is a member of:
- The Association of American Schools in South America (AASSA).
- National Association of Private Schools in Bolivia (Spanish acronym: ANDECOP).
- College Board.
AISB offers its students the opportunity to earn three high school diplomas:
- Bolivian High School Diploma.
- American High School Diploma
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or Certificates.
AISB´s Administrative and Teaching Staff
AISB is a nonprofit organization run by a team of executives and overseen by a Board of Directors conformed of 5 members and 3 advisors.
The executive team consists of: The General Director, Pre-School and Primary School Director, Secondary School Director, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, and Director of Administration and Finance. Two of these executive positions are held by foreigners and three by Bolivians.
For the 2018-2019 school year, we had 62 full-time and 9 part-time faculty members, resulting in a student-teacher ratio of 12:1. The staff includes 8 US citizens, 53 Bolivian, and 10 faculty members from other nationalities. All faculty members are academically qualified and certified to teach. The primary school has 16full-time teaching assistants that support our students’ learning process.
The AISB Community
The school is a well-established, bilingual (Spanish and English) K-12 IB World School offering the IB Diploma Program. 80% of our students are Bolivians, being American the second largest nationality. AISB is recognized as one of the best schools in the country and the only AdvancED accredited School in Bolivia that is also an IB World School. Our students normally continue their higher education in Bolivia, USA, Canada, Spain, Peru, and Chile among other countries. The School is going through a transition in the School Calendar going from an August to June School Calendar to a February to November one. However, the General Director position will be hired as of July 2020 to July 2022 (2 years initial contract).
AISB is seeking to appoint an experienced, visionary and energetic General Director who can provide leadership and vision for the long-term benefit of the student population, can fully oversees the School’s operation and possesses the following profile:
- Successful experience in a senior management position in international schools.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in accreditation and re-accreditation processes, preferable with AdvancED and in systems and practices of continuous school improvement.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of the IB Diploma programme.
- Exceptional and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to enhance collaboration and partnership between faculty, staff, parents and the wider community.
- Experience working at International Schools in Latin America. (preferable)
- Cross-cultural openness and understanding.
- Proficiency in Spanish and English. (native or native-like speaker)
- Master’s and/or PhD. / EdD. degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three years of experience as Principal or School Head in international schools.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in the educational field.
Salary & Benefits
The successful candidate will be appointed on an initial two-year term. The remuneration package is regionally competitive. Further details will be given to interviewees.
Particulars of the Search
All candidates wishing to apply should send a full CV with photograph, letter of application (no longer than two pages) explaining your strengths as a candidate and how your qualifications and experience align with the candidate profile to the General Director, Mr. Gustavo Sever. Names, addresses, emails and day-time telephone numbers of at least three current and former direct supervisors who may be contacted for references must be provided.
All the above must be copied into A SINGLE PDF ATTACHMENT and emailed to email@example.com as soon as possible but no later than September 20th, 2019. AISB will be present at the AASSA Recruiting Fair in Atlanta. Please write “General Director Application” in the message subject header. It is expected that an appointment will be made by the end of January. However, an early appointment might take place if the right candidate is found. Finalists might be invited to the School as part of the selection process. Any enquires should be directed to the email address given above.
Deadline for receipt of applications: Friday, September 20th, 2019
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.
Please note this school is not a registered member of Search Associates.