< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Apr 3, 20
Dec 31, 20
BBIS Berlin Brandenburg International School seeks a Head of Boarding School
Starting date: 01.08.2020 and 31.03.2021 at the latest
Fulltime – Position No: 20200331
BBIS is looking for a Head of Boarding who has seasoned leadership skills, extensive experience as the head of an international boarding community, enduring stamina and transformative vision, and empathy for teenagers from many cultures.
BBIS is a leading international school, inspiring students in pursuit of lifelong learning and excellence. We celebrate diversity in a caring, internationally minded community. As an inclusive school we empower learners to fulfil their unique potential. We guide our students to become responsible, compassionate global citizens.
Pioneering: Most of our students will see the 22nd Century - a journey which we have to equip them for. We take risks to replace the good with the better - ensuring our students are challenged, pushed and supported to the edge of the next generation of learning!
Reflective: We are fortunate to be surrounded by space and nature, we channel this luxury as a mindset - it allows us to grow. Our experience helps us to set the right pace for individual activities and simply give time for development.
Excellent: We pride ourselves on our commitment to excel both in and out of the classroom. Ensuring each student has the chance to fulfil their potential, irrespective of their talents or interests, we build confidence that fosters connections and community.
Caring: Growing up is not easy, but we understand the challenges and changes that occur. We support our 3-year olds to 19-year olds with dedicated, caring professionals at every step of the way. 24/7 security and a strong Child Protection Policy makes BBIS safe in all respects.
BBIS Berlin Brandenburg International School was founded in 1990 and is an international, inclusive day and boarding school registered as a non-profit organisation. English is the language of instruction. From ten students in 1990 to over 760 students in 2020, BBIS has continued to grow and become a leading international school in the Berlin and Brandenburg areas. The school opened BBIS Boarding in 2008 to students in Grades 9 and above.
BBIS is authorised to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years (2001), Middle Years (2005), Career-related (2012) and Diploma (1995) Programmes. The school has been accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools (MSA) since 2005. BBIS is currently a member of the Educational Collaborative for International Schools (ECIS), Association of German International Schools (AGIS) and Central & Eastern European Schools Association (CEESA).
BBIS promotes and celebrates its diverse community, with students from more than sixty countries. Approximately one quarter of the students on roll hold German nationality. English is a second or third language for more than half of the students.
BBIS has a boarding programme, open for students in Grades 9 to 12, which provides opportunities for overseas students to access the MYP, CP and DP learning programmes the school offers. There are currently 65 students boarding with us, making up almost one fifth of the total Grade 9-12 student body. A balance of nationalities is preserved. The Boarding Programme aligns to the school's overall mission and guiding statements and has developed a clear and concise set of goals to guide students' shared living environment while away from home: to embrace a healthy lifestyle; achieve academic potential; and share cultures to foster intercultural understanding.
Boarding School Staff
The BBIS Boarding mentors, counsellor and administrators provide comprehensive pastoral care in order to support BBIS Boarding school students as they strive to reach their academic and life goals. The BBIS Boarding staff members come with backgrounds primarily in international education. The live-in mentors reside in the boarding facility in apartments adjacent to the student rooms. Bringing with them multifaceted and global experience, the BBIS Boarding mentors and administrators are native or near native English speakers – well suited to support the BBIS Boarding students in Germany. Our Boarding School Counsellor provides college counselling services for the Boarding School students and their families, as well as supporting students with their social and emotional wellbeing. Reception, secretarial and office support is provided within Boarding by our two administrative staff.
BBIS provides a university preparatory program with English as the language of instruction. The school has chosen the International Baccalaureate to provide the framework for the school’s educational programmes as the educational philosophy and objectives of the IB closely align with BBIS’s mission and values. Graduates earn a North American style High School Diploma, and most students elect to pursue the International Baccalaureate Diploma program.
BBIS is committed to supporting students with diverse learning needs, including students who would benefit from a higher level of challenge as well as those who require more scaffolding, support or different approaches to teaching and learning. We are seeking educators who value inclusion in a community school context and are knowledgeable in a variety of approaches to teaching and learning that meet the needs of all learners.
Child Protection and Safeguarding
Child protection and safeguarding are priorities for us at BBIS. Policies, procedures and leadership has been established to ensure that children’s safety and well-being is paramount and our most important consideration. Training is provided for all employees so that we are able to protect children from any form of abuse or neglect by being alert to indicators. An environment has been established where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk and are listened to. Our children know that there are adults in the school whom they can approach, and we respond appropriately and sensitively with every suspicion or disclosure of abuse or neglect.
BBIS has identified that values, self-knowledge and character strengths are important to prepare students for lifelong learning and develop excellence in all areas of their lives. Developing resilience and creating purpose and meaning in our lives are critical for personal well-being and also for having a sense of direction to live a meaningful and balanced life. Positive Education provides a framework for a positive, safe environment for learning and working.
Head of Boarding: Duties and responsibilities
- Work with the Managing Directors of BBIS to provide strategic leadership and development of BBIS Boarding which supports the philosophy, aims and policies of the School, and promotes a high level of achievement and excellence in all areas of boarding life.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications, and with Admissions, to recruit and retain new student admissions to BBIS Boarding, and increase BBIS Boarding enrolment to 120 students.
- Promote BBIS Boarding as a caring, nurturing and supportive environment dedicated to the well-being and education of students.
- Lead the BBIS Boarding community to ensure a happy, caring, secure and stable environment for students and staff living in the boarding houses.
- Establish, build and maintain positive relationships between boarding staff, teaching staff, administrative staff, students, parents and stakeholders.
- Responsible for the organisation and running of BBIS Boarding within an agreed financial framework
- Coordinate liaison with the BBIS Nurses, and external agencies
- Establish, publicise and maintain guidelines and routines for all BBIS Boarding operations and residents.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, developing and line-managing the Boarding staff to make the most effective use of their skills, expertise and experience and to ensure that all boarding staff have a clear understanding of their roles, duties and responsibilities to provide care for students.
- Promote the welfare of students in the boarding houses as a matter of primary importance.
- Lead a clear and effective approach to behaviour management in BBIS Boarding which is fair, age-appropriate and understood by students, their parents and the Boarding staff.
- Lead the review of BBIS Boarding policies to ensure that procedures are documented, understood, effective and in line with German legal requirements and school accreditation requirements.
- Ensure that security, child protection and safeguarding, and health and safety practices are effective.
- Ensure that parents and guardians are well informed about the BBIS Boarding’s policies and procedures, all aspects of the care and welfare of boarding pupils, and information about events and activities at BBIS Boarding.
- Responsible for the admission of Boarders into BBIS Boarding, in consultation with the Principals and the Admissions team, and the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Inform the Managing Directors of critical issues, and provide regular reports and updates.
- Be a visible and active presence in the BBIS Boarding community.
Head of Boarding: Qualifications and experience
- A strong academic background, including a minimum of a Master’s degree preferably in education, education administration, or a related field.
- At least three years’ experience as head of boarding or a residential educational setting, and a proven record of outstanding leadership
- Fluency in English required and German language skills desirable
- Exceptional interpersonal and public communication skills gained in a boarding school environment.
- Cross-cultural openness and understanding, and exceptional emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders, including students, staff, board members, parents and external communities.
- Proven ability to manage and lead staff, including rostering, recruiting, performance development and management.
- Strong work ethic, problem solving abilities, and excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a budget within an agreed financial framework
- Sound understanding of Work, Health and Safety, Child Protection and Safeguarding, and Medical requirements and best practices in relation to a boarding environment.
How to Apply
The school is in a position to appoint the successful applicant to start on August 1st 2020 at the earliest, and March 31st 2021 at the latest. The deadline for applications will remain open until December 31st 2020. Candidates should note, however, that in the event outstanding applicants are identified early in the search process, BBIS Berlin Brandenburg International School reserves the right to make an appointment. For this reason, it is important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Applications should include the following information compiled as a single .pdf document and uploaded to the BBIS Application Form (see link below):
- A two-page letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Head of Boarding position at BBIS Berlin Brandenburg International School
- A current resume, not more than two pages
- Names and positions of at least three and not more than five current or recent supervisory referees, with accurate email addresses, Skype contact, phone numbers, and the position they held when you worked with them. Referees may be asked to submit confidential comments.
- A one-page statement outlining your philosophy of leadership.
Please avoid sending high-density pictures or graphics. The pdf file should be 5 MB or less in size.
Additional information about BBIS Berlin Brandenburg International School can be obtained from the School's website at www.bbis.de.
Nick Hazell, Director/CEO +49 (0)33203 8036-0 ext 113 (during office hours).
Applications should be addressed to the Search Committee, and uploaded to the BBIS Application Form: