< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jan 14, 22
Feb 6, 22
International School of London Qatar
Search for new Head of High School / DP Coordinator – from August 2022
Scope: Head of High School / DP Coordinator - Whole School Leadership Team
Reporting to: Head of School
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader who embraces innovation and fosters a positive community of learners. As ISL Qatar has experienced sustained growth over the years, the school will be developing dedicated Middle and High Schools from what is currently a Secondary School model. The High School (Grades 9-12) is currently enrolling 250 students.
Background and History of ISL Group and the ISL Qatar
The ISL Schools Group began in 1972 when the International School of London was founded as a private co-educational school. It was one of the first schools in the world to offer the IB Diploma, graduating its first Diploma students in 1978. It now offers the IB Primary and Middle Years programmes in addition to the IB Diploma and is renowned for its Mother Tongue languages programmes. As part of the core curriculum, students receive mother tongue or foreign language literacy lessons from early childhood. Because of the strength of its languages programme, ISL was selected by Ministry of Education to open a school in Doha as part of Qatar’s Outstanding Schools initiative. The ISL Schools now enrol over 1800 students across their two campuses in Doha, Qatar and Chiswick, West London
In September 2008, ISL Qatar opened in its new home, a modern, purpose-built campus in the northern suburbs of Doha. The buildings have been developed to embody the school's philosophy of child-focussed education. It offers a curriculum appropriate to the 21st century, using methods and technologies that engage children while advancing their learning and knowledge. We also offer facilities for sport, the arts and recreation, for individualised learning and inquiry, and personal development and growth. Now in its 13th year of operation, rapid growth has seen student numbers rise to over 1100, with waiting lists in many year groups, which reflects the fact that we are recognised as one of the top international schools in the Middle East.
ISL Qatar is a truly international community, offering international curricula throughout, with over 70 nationalities in the student body and over 50 nationalities spread across approximately 200 diverse and talented staff. Now in its 13th year of operation, rapid growth has seen student numbers rise to over 1100, with waiting lists in many year groups, which reflects the fact that we are recognised as one of the top international schools in the Middle East. ISL Qatar currently holds NEASC accreditation and IB World authorisation for Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma programmes. The school is currently amid exciting reflection, revisioning and strategy work as part of the progressive joint IB/NEASC Collaborative Learning Protocol (CLP). Our international mindedness extends to participation in organisations such as the IB, the Education Collaborative for International Schools (ECIS), the Council for International Schools (CIS), the Academy for International School Heads (AISH), the Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE), the Principals’ Training Center (PTC) and the Alliance for International Education (AIE). The new Head of High School / DP Coordinator will be joining a genuinely internationally minded community.
At ISL Qatar, we believe in our students' ability to build a bright future, and that our purpose for being here should guide everything that we do.
We are committed to developing a passion for life and learning that leads to the betterment of the world in which we live.
We aim to foster creativity, empathy, integrity and resilience, founded on respect for self, for others and for the environment.
We strive to maintain a diverse community of learners that promotes, nurtures and celebrates individual growth, talent and mastery within a culture of collaboration.
At ISL Qatar we believe in:
- empowering students to maximise their learning opportunities to fulfil their potential
- actively integrating cultural diversity in the curriculum
- creating inclusive, vibrant, and innovative learning communities
- offering a diverse and extensive international programme that supports personal, social and professional growth
- treating all members of the school community with respect, honesty, and integrity
These beliefs are critical to the way we operate as a school. They shape our behaviour, inform our decision-making, guide our policy-setting, and maintain our focus.
The ISL educational philosophy is based on the following core values and applies to our students, teaching and administrative staff:
- a commitment to the acquisition of knowledge and the achievement of personal potential
- the pursuit of excellence in all areas of activity
- respect for self, others and learning, including the recognition of the uniqueness of each individual
- social and civic responsibility which seeks to explore and promote the common good and the values of social justice, cultural diversity and the emotional and physical well-being of others
- concern and respect for the natural and cultural environments
For more information about ISL Qatar refer to www.islqatar.org.
As a member of different teams across the school, S/He will model the ISL Qatar mission, values and beliefs in action, particularly with respect to international-mindedness and intercultural understanding. A key competency is to be a collaborative team member and value the collective ability of teams rather than traditional hierarchies.
S/He will provide exemplary leadership to ensure high professional standards of learning and teaching for staff and continually improving levels of learning and achievement for students.
The successful candidate will join the Whole School and High School Leadership Teams (WLT & HLT). The HLT leads, administers, and manages all strategic, and operational matters of the High School. The person appointed will play a key role in leading this team: as such, S/He should possess excellent leadership qualities and skills and should have a diverse range of competencies. The Head of High / DP Coordinator should be an inspirational, passionate, and adaptable educator and a caring, creative, and innovative leader. S/He should be an outstanding motivator, learner, administrator, and communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills, and should be capable of leading school development and preparing students through a caring, stimulating, challenging, well-organised and supportive learning environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of three years as Head, Assistant Head and/or DP (Diploma Programme) Coordinator in High School
- Appropriate teaching and leadership qualifications
- IB teaching experience at the Secondary/High School Level
- Demonstration of a successful history of student-centered leadership while effectively collaborating with teachers as a part of a professional learning community
- Successful experience with the recruitment, development, and retention of teachers
- International experience and/or experience working in a diverse, multicultural environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven experience of fostering a positive school spirit amongst students, staff, and the wider community
- Successful experience working collaboratively to effectively innovate, implement and sustain change initiatives
- Previous experience leading school accreditation protocols
- Professional level competency in spoken and written English
Candidates who wish to apply should submit the following information:
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Head of High School / DP Coordinator role at the International School of London Qatar
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages
- A one or two-page statement outlining your philosophy of education and leadership
- Contact details of three professional referees
Interested applicants should apply through the school website where the appropriate documents can be submitted. Follow this link for more details. The deadline for submission of applications is 6th February 2022. However, if we find an appropriate candidate before that date, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. Initial interviews will be done through Teams and then at ISL Qatar if the circumstances of the pandemic allow so. The salary and benefits are according to our leadership package as shown in Voices – HR Magazine- , available on the same webpage as the link above.