< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 8, 19
Sep 15, 19
BANDUNG INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
seeks a new Head of School
Starting in July 2020
Bandung Independent School (BIS) is looking for a dynamic learning leader, with significant international curriculum experience and proven business and finance skills to cement and grow BIS as the leading international school in West Java.
BIS was started as a parent-run, non-profit school in 1972 and is now in its 47th year serving expatriate and local families in Bandung. It is uniquely situated near the city center and has a growing body of over 200 students, roughly half expat and half Indonesian. As an IB World School, we believe that cultivating curiosity is the key to creating life-long learners, and thus best preparing our students for tomorrow’s challenges. Likewise, we believe that by emphasising diversity and exposure to different cultures and religions, we best equip our students to become responsible members of a global community. As a non-profit school, exclusively run by and for the benefit of our community, we are totally and exclusively committed to providing the best education for our students.
2) VISION AND MISSION
To nurture individual potential and be an internationally minded school of excellence.
Through relevant, challenging and engaging programmes, we inspire every learner to become skilful and courageous, empowered to participate responsibly, successfully and with integrity in a global community.
- learning as a lifelong process of reflection, collaboration and applying skills;
- Academic rigour and excellence
- Creative and critical thinking
- Respect and empathy towards others
- Building character through a strong ethos towards service and action within the local community
- Creating a safe, caring and open-minded environment
- Being an internationally-minded community
- Integrity and taking responsibility for actions
- Resilience through courage and willingness to lead and take risks
- Balance and wellbeing for ourselves and others
BIS is proud to be an IB World School, delivering both the PYP Programme in Preschool through Grade 5 and the Diploma Programme in Grades 11 and 12. As an IB World School, we aim that our students are not only knowledgeable and leave BIS with a solid foundation of knowledge, but also with thinking skills, communication skills, self-management skills, social skills, and research skills.
During the middle years, Grades 6 - 10, BIS has a bespoke programme designed with high academic standards to fit the needs of our diverse body of students and our host culture of Indonesia. Curriculum has been reverse engineered to prepare students with the knowledge and skills to be successful in our DP program. Our assessments are designed to advance student learning, allowing students to apply what they have learnt by carrying out real-world tasks. To ensure that our students are held to rigorous academic standards, we have carefully integrated standards from the US and Australia with the assessment criteria, inquiry skills and organizational skills of the IB Middle Years Programme. Reports have shown these are the skills that lead to higher levels of success in the DP and help students to be more “college-ready” than students from other programmes (Wade & Wolanin, 2005).
Our students are knowledgeable, internationally-minded and respectful to those who have different perspectives. Not only are they prepared for the academic demands of the IB DP programme, they are also engaged in global issues. We believe that the ability to think critically about what we learn and to apply this to the wider world is crucial for young people in the new Information Age.
Success at BIS means more than just good grades. It means being principled and responsible members of the BIS community and the wider world, taking part in a variety of service activities. The values of the IB Learner Profile are at the centre of our curriculum.
Our students are on a pathway to becoming excellent global communicators. They develop their communication skills in English through our Language and Literature programme, and an additional language through our Language Acquisition programme, which offers Bahasa Indonesia, Chinese and French. We also provide support for students’ mother-tongues wherever possible.
4) GOVERNANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
The School Board (Pembina Board) at BIS is a diverse group of five to seven parent volunteers who oversee the strategic planning and financial stability of BIS as well as appoint and evaluate the Head of School. Each of these Board members bring their unique skills to the role and use these to serve on a variety of sub-committees.
The Head of School is responsible for the operational management of the school as well as implementation of the strategic plan. The Head of School ensures that the school's operational management is carried out at the highest professional level and s/he is accountable for the school's performance, standards, and academic and financial sustainability.
5) FACULTY AND STAFF
BIS has 61 employees - 31 faculty members, 8 teacher assistants, 10 office and support staff members, and 12 members of the cleaning and security team. BIS is especially proud of its diverse and qualified teaching team which includes 20 expat teachers from a wide range of countries. The majority of teaching staff, including assistants, hold Masters degrees in Education and two have Doctorate degrees.
BIS is located in a bustling neighborhood in the north of Bandung. In addition to 21 fully-equipped classrooms, BIS has two science labs, a makerspace, sports facilities, a computer lab, a centrally-located library and a recently built Performing Arts Center which includes a 250-person theatre and music rooms. The BIS Campus Redevelopment Committee (a sub-committee of the Board) is always looking for ways to better our campus to meet the needs of our learners and ensure BIS’ place as a leading school in West Java.
Bandung is the capital of West Java and the third largest metropolitan in Indonesia with over 8 million inhabitants. Located at around 800 meters above sea level and surrounded by volcanic mountains, Bandung has a cooler year-round temperature than most other Indonesian cities and has exceptionally fertile surroundings, resulting in flourishing flora and fauna. In the 1920s and 30s the city developed into a resort city for (Dutch colonial) plantation owners and was nicknamed ‘Parijs van Java’ (Paris of Java). Until today Bandung is a popular tourist destination, due to its favourable climate, historic buildings and vibrant food culture. Despite significant infrastructural challenges, Bandung has won a regional environmental sustainability award for having the cleanest air among other major cities in ASEAN countries in 2017. The city has also become known as a Smart City, leveraging technology and a vast university student base. A high speed railway between Jakarta and Bandung is projected to be completed by 2020, while a new second international airport was opened in June 2018. In conclusion, the climate, accessibility, culture, beautiful surroundings and vibrant expat community make Bandung one of the most appealing cities in South East Asia.
8) HEAD OF SCHOOL: POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Head of School will be responsible for all aspects of the school’s operations and work closely with the Pembina Board on defining and executing strategic goals. BIS is in the midst of a leadership restructure and the envisaged leadership structure for 2020 is for the Head of School to be supported by a leadership team comprising of two Principals (Early Childhood/Elementary and Secondary), a Business Manager (responsible for Finance and Operations) as well as a Head of Marketing. The two Principals will also serve as curriculum coordinators for their respective PYP or DP programmes. We expect the Head of School, as well as both Principals, to combine their leadership roles with (varying, minimum) amount of teaching hours.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- An advanced degree in education/educational leadership
- Experience as a Head of school or Principal
- Experience leading in a diverse community (preferably in South East Asia)
- Ability to efficiently manage the operational and financial end of a mid-sized international school
- Ability to promote the school’s reputation and standing in Bandung city and the wider EARCOS region
- Significant international curriculum experience (IB preferred)
- Experience with accreditation (IB, CIS, NEASC)
- Strong track record in stakeholder management (ie parents, staff, Board, students)
- Ability to think strategically and support the Board in realising the school’s long term goals
- Dynamic and mature leader, very visible and engaged in the life of the school
- Integrity, values-driven leader
- Supports a culture of high aspirations in a caring environment
- Careful and reflective listener
- Appreciates, respects and promotes inter-cultural openness and respect for diversity
- Collaborative team player and effective leader of teams
- Skilled and creative problem-solver, adept at conflict resolution
- Flexible and open-minded, sense of humour
- Effective communicator in writing and speaking
- Perseverance and stamina
- Deeply values and exhibits open and transparent relationships
10) APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested candidates are asked to submit the requested materials listed below directly to HOSrecruitment@bisedu.or.id, by September 15, 2019.
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position. Discuss specific talents and skills which you can contribute.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages, along with a head and shoulders portrait or photo (optional).
- A statement of educational and leadership philosophy (maximum 2 pages)
- A one-page list of references with phone numbers and email addresses
- A maximum of three relevant letters of reference which may already be in your possession
Please submit materials in a SINGLE PDF ATTACHMENT with a maximum size of 6MB.
The deadline for applications is 15 September 2019. Candidates should note, however, that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, BIS reserves the right to make an appointment earlier than the published deadline. For this reason, it is important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
The review of applications will begin as soon as applications are received, and qualified candidates will be interviewed through Skype. Finalist candidates will be invited to the campus to visit the school and meet with members of the leadership team and staff. The new Head of School will be selected at the end of the site visit, finalist interviews, and reference checks, and will assume his/her professional responsibilities in July of 2020.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.