< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dr. Rockey Du Randt
Jul 21, 2015
Sep 30, 2015
Peking University Experimental School (Jiaxing)
Head Of School
Appointment Prior to September 30th, 2015 with a start date no later than 31st October 2015
Peking University enjoys many privileges from the Govt. and the public which helps to place it in a unique position. Other Universities cannot compete regarding learning and K-12 education, innovation and reform in China. There are many political, business and academic leaders that are graduates from PKU. Thus Peking University has become a center for teaching and research. Embracing diverse branches of learning such as basic and applied sciences, social sciences, humanities, medicine, management and education.
Peking University Experimental School (Jiaxing, 0520dpauto-IB ) is a joint project between Peking University and Jiaxing Municipal government. The school is heavily invested initially with 700 million RMB and 150 acres of land. Only 26 min fast-speed train away from Shanghai City and located at the heart of Jiaxing International Business District. A zone of more than 50 Fortune 500 companies, such as Walmart, Shell, Philips, Tesco, Lego, etc. and more than 1000 medium size enterprises from South Korean, Taiwan, Japan and Germany. These companies are eagerly looking for a professional and international k-12 IB education for their employees families.
Information about Jiaxing http://www.absolutechinatours.com/china-travel/Jiaxing/travel-guide.html
Our IB program is a long term and solid commitment. The well-structured support and philosophy of the International Baccalaureate is something we truly believe offers students in Jiaxing a well-rounded, international, life-long learning experience. PKUES will be the first school to introduce IB to this 4.5 million people city. Our commitment is at such a level that all the board, senior and junior staff have attended IB workshops, IB conferences and undertaken many International School visits. We have just completed the schools application for the IBDP candidacy.
Housed on its own purpose built 150 acres site, the school has a spacious, state of the art campus. With the very latest, modern, fully equipped classrooms, three libraries, IT labs(all-Mac), design technology labs, science labs, astronomical Observatory, sports field, soccer pitches, tennis and basketball courts, full capacity, latest design school theatre, three gyms, climbing walls, swimming pool, and specialist areas for Music, Visual Arts, and Design, multi-media centre along with TV and Radio stations.
School campus 3D walk-through http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI3MDg1MjQzNg==.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2
With three modern restaurants and cafes, home from home boarding and leisure facilities, students are assured of a truly inspirational IB learning environment.
Green air filtration, solar panels, water recycling, environmentally friendly construction materials, paints, furniture – from start to finish the environment is a major consideration
Head Of School
Key Abilities and Attributes
- Proven IB school start-up leadership (preferred).
- Ethical, honest, open and transparent.
- English first language (preferred Chinese as second language) strong and effective communicator with good listening skills.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships with the ability to engage, inspire and involve stakeholders in meaningful and productive ways.
- Ability to inspire confidence and motivate others by recognizing and drawing upon their strengths.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to set objectives.
- Able to take decisions and delegate responsibilities.
- Sensitive to cultural relations and conscious of the school’s responsibility to the wider community, Far-east Asian or China experience preferred.
- Builds relationships and organizational structures which effectively support learning and ensure long term financial stability and mission protection.
- Continuously refreshes professional skills and knowledge.
1. Implement all school policies as described in the Board Policy Manual and as amended by subsequent Board actions.
- Act as senior administrator of the day to day running of the school.
- Advise appropriate administrators or teaching staff of decisions to be implemented.
- Attend and participate meetings of the Board and its committees as and when required.
- Become and remain full conversant in Board Policy, all school internal policies, schedules, Chinese Labor and Educational laws, etc.
- Make recommendations to Board of Directors concerning staff needs, proposed salary and benefits, and other administrative policies.
2. Provide educational leadership:
- Provide for the safety of students at the school.
- Understands child safety policy and manage its implementation.
- Inform all teachers about child abuse policy and UN convention of children rights.
- Ensure all faculty are aware of the Child Safety Code of Conduct, they sign off on it, and it is enforced.
- Oversee the Implementation of teaching and instructional curriculum.
- Evaluation and assessment of the educational program, activities and needs of the school.
- Presentation of future plans for improvement of academic programs.
- Evaluate and assess the educational program, activities, and needs of the school.
- Leadership to the administration and faculty, with the purpose of giving clear direction to the educational program.
- Plan and manage the implementation of in-service staff training programs.
- Keep informed of modern educational thought and practices by advanced study, by visiting schools elsewhere, by attending educational conferences, and by other appropriate means, and keep the Board of Directors informed of trends in education.
3. Direct all operations:
- Recommend and manage facilities and capital acquisitions, oversee the facilities master plan.
- Prepare and present to Board Finance Committee the annual budget, its revisions and monthly financial statements and operate the school within approved budget guideline.
- Monitor the overall direction of the day-to-day business operations including building, purchasing enrollment, payroll, and other business activities pertaining to the total school operations.
- Supervise all matters relating to recruitment, appointment, assignment, and evaluation of teaching staff and administrative personnel.
- Act as the school’s representative in community affairs to promote a harmonious relationship between the School and its stakeholders and the greater community.
4. Advise and make recommendations to the Board:
- Take such specific action as the Board, or its committees, may direct.
- Make recommendations concerning policy changes and other matters requiring Board action or review (including those specifically set out above).
- Advise the Board of any disciplinary matters.
- Inform the Board of all significant matters which may affect, or which arise in connection with, the operation and administration of the Community and school.
- Keep the Board informed of material developments in administration and education, Perform such other tasks as may from time to time be assigned by the Board.
Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate must have:
- At least 3 years’ experience as an IB school leader, running one or more of the PYP, MYP, and Diploma programs.
- An advanced degree (Med., PhD etc.) in educational management or related field.
- A clear vision for school development and a proven track record of achieving goals.
- A record of efficient budget and facility management.
- Experience growing school enrollment.
- Effective communication skills and possess a history of good School Board relations.
- A truly international perspective, experience liaising with schools and universities around the world, ideas for expanding existing partnerships, and be willing to travel to represent the school and/or Peking University Education Group abroad.
- A thorough understanding of quality in education and how to improve academic standards.
Application Procedure and Timetable
Peking University Education Group wish to appoint the founding Head Of School with a very attractive administrator’s packages including worldwide health insurance, accommodation, and dependence school places, prior to September 30, 2015. Please apply by submitting the following materials to Lihan@pkutw.com:
- A letter of application no longer than two pages, explaining your educational beliefs, leadership strengths and professional and personal interests.
- A current resume/curriculum vitae
- A list of at least three references with current telephone numbers and email addresses.
- Outline action plan for the first 3 years ( suggested 3 - 5 pages). The plan should be relevant to starting a new school, staffing requirements, IB authorization etc.
In the event of finding an outstanding candidate, PKUEG reserves the right to proceed to appointment before the stated deadline for applications. Other positions available please contact us for further information.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.