< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position Filled
Nov 7, 13
Jan 31, 14
THINK Global School Seeks a Head of School
Start Date: August 2014
What is THINK Global School?
THINK Global School is a path-breaking high school that offers teenagers a once-in-a-lifetime international experience. TGS students don’t simply “study abroad.” They immerse themselves in twelve countries over four years, undertaking a challenging curriculum that culminates in their official International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations at the end of year four. Throughout their studies, TGS students visit significant historical, cultural, and scientific sites, all while building new skills and relationships with those around them.
The purpose of TGS is to develop, through an innovative high school education program, a group of potential new world leaders who have not only the intellectual but also the emotional skills to encourage positive change in the world. We do this by traveling the world and exposing students to many different cultures and belief systems in a balanced mix of academics and field explorations. Our students are encouraged to think for themselves, speak up and take responsibility for their actions. Our graduates will enter the next phase of their life as open-minded and empathic young adults who can make good choices for themselves and for the planet based on their unique knowledge and experiences.
- Engaged and inspired students are a product of engaged and inspired teachers.
- Immersing ourselves into the historical, cultural and scientific communities teaches us about others and ourselves.
- Planet Earth is the best classroom.
- It's not enough to learn about issues and hypothesize about them. We must act.
- Student success is not only measured on a test but in life.
Our mission is to provide a rigorous high school experience for multinational students in a multicultural learning environment, with a specific focus on local immersion.
Who are TGS’s Students?
TGS students are competitively selected from all corners of the globe and all walks of life. Together, they are a miniature United Nations, representing different countries of citizenship as well as a diverse range of experiences, talents, and interests.
How do TGS Students Learn?
TGS students spend as much time on classwork and homework as their counterparts at other top international high schools, but we combine this challenging curriculum with a wealth of educational adventures in our host city and its surroundings. These unique enrichment opportunities bring textbook concepts to life by facilitating meaningful exchanges with teachers, peers, experts, and local guides.
THINK Global School students are equipped with the latest MacBooks, iPads and iPhones, and record, report, and share their global education online as they travel the world.
The Head of School
The Head of School is arguably the most critical role in our organization. The Head of School ensures that our most valuable members – our students – receive a phenomenal, unique, and challenging education, while preparing them to for admittance into colleges all over the globe and a lifetime as global citizens.
We are looking for a Head of School who fits with TGS’ culture of creativity, introspection, development and adventurousness. We are a school with a unique vision of the future of education in a global environment, and we are looking for someone to travel the world with our faculty and students, providing leadership, mentorship and guidance.
The Head of School is responsible for:
- Overseeing daily administration, scheduling, lesson-planning and parent communication
- Interfacing with the host school head of school, faculty and students and ensuring that TGS is a welcome guest in each host city
- Student welfare, college advising, guidance and discipline
- Curriculum development and implementation (in conjunction with the curriculum director)
- Faculty recruitment and development
- Student admissions (in conjunction with the admissions director)
- Developing a budget for each trimester, including programs and residential life
The Head of School leads a team of teachers, residential advisors, coaches and guides. He/she reports to the Board Chair and works closely with the Head of Operations and the Head of Technology.
What we are looking for
The successful candidate will possess:
- High motivation to break boundaries in education
- A student centered approach to school leadership
- Experience as innovative educator in a leadership position
- Experience in teacher recruitment and development
- Sound knowledge of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- International and intercultural awareness and understanding
- Experience in integrating technology with education and familiarity with current innovations in global education
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a collaborative learning environment for students and teachers
- Willingness to live among faculty and students and travel with the school
- Full understanding of and commitment to the TGS mission and vision
- Good understanding of a boarding school
- An advanced degree in education
The successful candidate will be:
- Resourceful, able to “make do” when essential resources are not available
- Open to and experienced in the use of technology and social media in an educational environment
- Communicative, in writing, digitally, as well as orally
- Personable, to facilitate effective relationships
- Culturally sensitive, able to thrive in different environments and enjoying it
- Caring of young people and willing to understand them
- IT savvy, so as to be modeling use and integration of technology
- Able to represent the school in many different settings
- Resilient, energetic, involved, humorous
Terms and Conditions
TGS seeks to appoint a Head of School for a two-year contract in the first instance. Salary and benefits are very competitive, will reflect the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications and include travel, board and lodging.
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents in a SINGLE PDF FILE:
- A letter of interest explaining your strengths as a school leader, and why you think you are a good match for the position and our school
- A current CV
- A list of at least four recent referees. Contact information should include name, position, current email address and mobile/office numbers. Your list should include your current supervisor and may include one administrative colleague.
- Open letters of reference
- Copies of degrees
Applications should be sent electronically to HoSSearch@thinkglobalschool.org not later than January 31, 2014. Highly suitable candidates may be interviewed as applications are received. If an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, TGS may make an appointment prior to the application deadline. A short list of candidates may be invited for final interviews.
THINK Global School is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national and ethnic origin in hiring and employment.