< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Kim Green
Oct 7, 13
Nov 7, 13
International School Dhaka is seeking an exemplary educational leader for its Secondary School starting August 2014. The Head of Secondary is a key member of the school’s Senior Leadership Team.
ISD MISSION STATEMENT
We are building a community of responsible, compassionate, lifelong learners who are committed to a sustainable future.
ISD PHILOSOPHY STATEMENT
We believe that:
- Learning is a rewarding experience
- Creativity and individuality should be nurtured
- Education is a collaborative process and an effective home-school partnership is essential
We are committed to:
- The values described in the IB learner profile
- Providing a learning community that is progressive and international in outlook
- Maximising academic potential
- Respecting all cultures
- Developing a caring attitude towards our environment
- Pursuing goals that are personally meaningful and fulfilling
International School Dhaka, Bangladesh is an IB World School. We are authorized in the PYP, MYP and DP. We are accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) as well as the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). We will have a joint evaluation visit in April 2014.
Our current enrolment of 670 includes: 328 in the Primary School (age 2- Playgroup to age 11- grade 5) and 342 in the Secondary School (grades 6-12). Number of nationalities: 32 (Bangladeshi: 66%, USA: 9%, Indian: 4%, Sri Lankan 32%, Canadian, all other nationalities: 1% or less). Many of our Bangladeshi students are dual passport holders and have lived or been schooled abroad and speak fluent English.
Maximum class size is 15 for 2 and 3 year olds and 17 for our 4 and 5 year olds, 25 in grades 1 – 5. Maximum class size in Secondary school is 22. In addition, every Primary School classroom benefits from the support of a teaching partner or in kindergarten to grade 5 a locally employed teacher who co-teaches with an overseas hire teacher.
Kindergarten to grade 5 classrooms have access to specialist teaching staff, fully qualified teachers of Art, Music, Physical Education and Information Technology. English is our language of instruction but we do also offer Bangla as our second language in all Primary classes. We offer additional English language support (ESL). ISD is an inclusive school and students with special educational needs (SEN) are catered for with the support of Advancement Centre specialist staff.
The teachers at ISD are recruited either from the global pool of international educators or from available and qualified expatriate teachers living in Bangladesh. We are proud of the diversity of our teachers who are all trained in the Programmes of the International Baccalaureate. There are 73 full time overseas teachers working across the school representing 19 nationalities between them (British: 14%, USA: 9%, Australian: 12%, Canadian: 8%, New Zealand: 3%, French: 3% all other nationalities: 2% or less, There are 57 teachers, teaching partners and technicians, all from Bangladesh.
The School is located on an attractive and leafy green 5.5 acre campus in the new residential district of Bashundhara to the north of Dhaka.
- purpose-built centrally air- conditioned buildings and classrooms
- specialist teaching rooms including science laboratories, design and technology workshops and computer suites
- a well-established and reliable Information Communication Technology provision supporting teaching, learning and school operation
- web-based access by parents to student reports and progress
- an automated library
- a sports hall/gymnasium and heated 25 metre swimming pool
- 340-seat auditorium
- art studios
- a large playing field
- tennis courts and basketball courts
- Early Years specialized play area
- general playing areas
Without a doubt, ISD has the best educational facilities in Bangladesh.
Mature trees, lush tropic landscaping, and abundant green open space, provide a wonderful setting for our students and staff.
- Advanced Education and/or Leadership degrees.
- International or MYP/DP teaching experience.
- School leadership experiences which demonstrate a passion for the Programmes of the IB and pedagogical best practice.
- A clear vision for a balanced and whole child education: intellectual, social, artistic, physical wellness.
- Embraces and live the ISD Vision and Mission.
- Effective and engaging communicator: speaking, writing, listening
- Values the skills, insights and creativity of teachers, students and community members and builds strong relationships and teams.
- Leadership integrity: can be decisive, principled and fair.
- Strong sense of community: both school community and the link between the school and Bangladesh.
- Honours and embraces the past, present and future of ISD.
- Dependable and supportive
- Honest and ethical
- Collaborative and empowering
- Thoughtful and reflective
- Adaptable and resilient
- Strong sense of self
- International minded
- Personable and sociable: fun and pleasant to be with
- Caring and compassionate
- Positive and supportive
- Approachable, engaging and “hands on”
- Balanced approach to life
CONTRACT AND COMPENSATION
The initial contract is for three years. The salary and benefit package is competitive in the Southeast Asia region and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a housing and utilities allowance, car and driver allowance, health and life insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, and free tuition for school age dependents at ISD.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send an application no later than Thursday 7th November 2013. The review of applications will begin as soon as they are received. We will be attending the Leadership Fair in Bangkok. Candidates should note that, in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISD reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to an early close.
Candidates should send the information requested below as a single document in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should state Head of Secondary and the applicant’s name.
Please DO NOT send any information other than that which is specifically requested below.
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this particular position.
- A statement of leadership philosophy, no longer than one page, that addresses the ISD Mission and Philosophy and position qualifications.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A list of at least four referees. The list should include names, positions, current email address and Skype addresses. It should include the current Director/CEO of your present school.
Qualified candidates will be contacted and interviewed as applications are received.
For more information about the school please visit our website at www.isdbd.org