< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Head of Training - English
Qatar Foundation (Qatar)
Appointed - No further applications accepted
Jan 15, 14
Feb 28, 14
Office of Pre-University Education
Professional Development Center
Head of Training - English
- effective August 2014
The Office of Pre-University Education is creating a new Center which is the Professional Development Center. The Office is seeking an exceptional educational leader as its Head of Training – English Department to begin on August 15, 2014.
The Professional Development Center is seeking applications from individuals motivated to advance best practices and foster teaching excellence to refine and implement the Qatar Foundation’s strategic vision in Qatar Foundation schools, and other schools in Qatar and the region. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included near the end of this announcement.
About the Professional Development Center
Vision: To create a center of excellence in professional development and continuous education, with an initial focus on short courses and with potential to expand to a certification program.
• To provide professional growth and development for teachers in Qatar Foundation (QF) Schools, and in private and independent schools in Qatar and the region
• Create training in teaching methods and pedagogy, provide ongoing professional development, and develop a network for teachers.
• Share best practices with the wider community
The Department of English is one of the departments in the Professional Development Center. Other departments include Mathematics, Arabic, Leadership, Science, and Technology.
The English Department will include:
• Head of English Department, reporting to the PD Center Director.
• 4 trainers (2 international and 2 Qatari), reporting to the Head of English Department.
Head of Training – English
The Head of Training – English will be responsible for delivery of all learning intervention needs of school teachers, encompassing the training cycle (identification, design, development, execution and follow up), ensuring the professional development of teachers, and sharing best practices of QF schools with the broader community.
The first year for the Head of Training – English Department position will be a planning year.
Forms of Training:
• Face to face workshops.
• On-line training will be considered.
• Each department will have a mini conference and newsletter.
• Each department will cover 24 workshops (training episodes) during the year, 12 for primary school teachers and 12 for middle and senior school teachers.
• Each workshop (training episode) will be around 10 hours. Each department will cover 240 hours of training.
• The Center will host an annual Best Practice Conference.
• The language of training will be in English.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Analyse the needs of the schools.
• Develop the framework and syllabus for the English Training Department.
• Develop the learning episodes which include the learning methods / lesson planning and training materials.
• Assist the PD Center in recruiting the trainers for the English department.
• Analyse, prepare and schedule the English Training Program of PD Center.
• Review results & outcomes and develop a recommended training delivery plan for the following year.
• Regularly benchmark against other organizations to ensure best practice.
• Participate in cost monitoring and management of English department budget.
• Liaise with teachers, trainers and other stakeholders to review feedback of training programs.
• Assist the PD Director and oversee the publishing of the annual training catalogues and published materials.
• Improve orientation systems and procedures.
• Work with QF stakeholders to ensure accurate and relevant information is communicated and coordinated to all attendees to ensure the best delivery of English programs.
• Look for opportunities to improve performance in own scope of work.
• Engage actively, in team meetings to improve processes of work.
• Engage actively, in departmental self-review, in order to review confidently the quality of teaching and learning on a regular and systematic basis.
• Carry out any other responsibility specifically entrusted by PD Center Director.
• Efficiently run the English department.
• Involve all colleagues in departmental development planning.
• Engage colleagues/QF School teachers to discuss their teaching and the impact it has on pupils’ learning.
• Be accountable to the PD Center directorate for all budgeting within the English training department.
• Promote the general purpose and well-being of PD center to the community.
• Provide guidance to the trainers whenever necessary.
• Suggest partnership with similar PD centers and training institutions.
Operating Environment, Framework and Boundaries
• Must be comfortable working in a fairly structured environment where guidelines are clear but procedures are continuing to develop.
• Must understand stakeholders and internal staff & client issues and be sensitive to their agenda.
• Must provide direction and work effectively in a multi-national, multi-cultural environment.
• Must bring to the attention of the PD Center Director any difficulties which arise with the English training program/team.
Communications and Working Relationships
• Meet weekly with PD Center Director and contribute to Departmental meetings.
• Meet regularly with other internal members including Trainers and Teachers.
• Meet occasionally with QF Schools Directors and other Centre Directors.
Decision Making Authority and Responsibility
• Operates independently within the department work programs.
• Has autonomy over scheduling and planning of work within programs.
• Work reviewed by PD Center Director with more significant or complex issues referred to the PD Director for advice or decision.
Knowledge Skills and Experience
• Masters in English (Doctorate preferred) with approx. 10 to 15 years of experience in Teaching and Training and Development within a large corporation/organization/school.
• Educational experience in relevant context with demonstrated success in content development, instructional design, coaching and people development role; in-depth knowledge of structuring training programs; training and development strategies.
• Well-developed computer skills with excellent knowledge of software.
• Good communication and presentation skills.
• Should have a full understanding of the IB standards as most of the QF schools are IB schools.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary; housing; health, life and long-term disability insurance; annual home leave; shipping allowance; gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
The Division of Pre-University Education of the Qatar Foundation has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for the Head of Training - English, with Dr. Ralph Jahr and Bridget McNamer being the lead consultants. The deadline for application is February 28, 2014. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Search Committee reserves the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned above if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send the information requested below as a single PDF file of 3MB or less attached to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Application materials should include:
• Cover letter of application
• Resume, generally not more than two pages
• Photograph (requested but not required)
• Educational philosophy statement
• A list of references (at least three) - the list should include their names, positions, current email addresses, for Board members and/or supervisors at your present school
• Up to three open letters of reference may also be submitted
• Short-listed candidates will be contacted and interviewed in February-March 2014. The Office of Pre-University Education is targeting April 1, 2014 as the date for selecting the new Head of Training - English.
Ralph Jahr, Ph.D. Tel: 609-759-0431
Search Associates Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
12 Exeter Ct Skype – ralph.h.jahr
Princeton, NJ 08540 (USA) Web: www.searchassociates.com
Bridget McNamer Tel: 415-290-6050
Search Associates Email: email@example.com
313 Bell Lane Skype – bridgetmcnamer
Mill Valley, CA 94941 (USA) Web: www.searchassociates.com