< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - No longer accepting applications
Oct 13, 14
Oct 31, 14
International School Bangkok seeks
High School Dean of Students
for July, 2015
To become a model of excellence in educating students for success in the world community.
Through outstanding teaching in a nurturing environment, ISB inspires students to
- Achieve their academic potential
- Be passionate, reflective learners
- Become caring, global citizens
- Lead healthy, active, balanced lives
ISB Definition of Learning
Learning is the primary focus of our school and we recognize learning as a lifelong adventure. ISB values meaningful and transferable learning where we construct understanding by developing and applying knowledge, skills and attitudes. As learners, we develop and show our understanding when we:
- Apply our learning to new situations
- Inquire to extend our learning
- Create solutions
- Communicate our learning effectively
- Make connections across our learning
- Reflect critically on our learning
ISB 2020 Vision - Guiding Principles
We have embarked upon a stimulating journey, seeking to ensure our students are best prepared for the uncertain future they will inherit.
- ISB will be a forward-looking, innovative school that explores new research-based approaches to improving learning.
- Student learning experiences will be based on thinking, inquiry, understanding, reflection, risk-taking, creativity, passion and innovation.
- Student learning will involve greater individual choice with respect to course and program offerings, systems, content, assessment, delivery and learning style.
- ISB will endeavor to develop a growth mindset, instilling a belief in our students that dedication, resilience and a positive attitude will bring success.
- Students will experience appropriate levels of challenge based upon ability and interest in both school and after school programs.
- eLearning will become a standard practice at ISB as we seek to provide more learning options for students and to prepare students for a world where the use of online learning is growing exponentially.
- Students will have greater opportunities to learn in authentic, real-world situations.
- ISB will ensure the development of the “whole student”, ensuring a rich balance of academic and co-curricular activities, a commitment to global citizenship, and a healthy lifestyle.
Founded in 1951, ISB was the first international school in the Kingdom of Thailand. The school initially opened on the grounds of the US Embassy with 35 students, but with increasing enrollment moved to different campuses in the Bangkok area. Enrollment reached 3,650 students during the Vietnam War. In 1992, ISB moved to its present 35 acre purpose-built campus, 25 km from the center of Bangkok. 1,940 students are currently enrolled in the Elementary, Middle, and High schools.
ISB is proudly international in its student body, enrolling students from more than sixty countries. Students from the United States account for 32% of enrollment, with students from Thailand (20%), Japan (8%), and Korea (7%) forming other major nationality groups. English is a second or third language for more than half of the students.
ISB provides a university preparatory program with English as the language of instruction. Graduates earn a U.S. high school diploma and most students elect to pursue the International Baccalaureate Diploma program.
The Pre-K to 12 faculty consists of some 230 teachers including 3 librarians, 12 counselors, 2 psychologists, six learning coaches and 11 special education teachers. Each of the school’s three divisions has a principal and one or more assistant principals. There is also a Head of School, a Deputy Head of Learning, and a Deputy Head of School/Chief Financial Officer.
There are almost 90 faculty members in the HS and around 700 students. The HS administration consists of a Principal, a Dean of Academics, a Dean of Students, an Athletics Director, and a CAS/Activities Coordinator. Other HS support staff includes six counselors and a psychologist.
The Dean of Students will be expected to undertake the following responsibilities in collaboration with the High School Principal:
- Provide principled, effective educational leadership
- Employ excellent organizational and managerial skills to motivate and help lead the faculty
- Promote academic excellence and provide a supportive and creative atmosphere to cultivate a life-long love of learning
- Develop and nurture the leadership capabilities of teachers so that instructional leadership becomes a shared responsibility
- Mentor faculty as well as encourage their professional learning and growth
- Supervise and evaluate staff members/Assist with class observations/visits
- Communicate effectively with students, faculty, parents, colleagues, and broader community
- Assist with the provision of professional development for the HS Faculty.
- Create an efficient, productive and caring atmosphere where all students and faculty have opportunities to be recognized for their best efforts
- Gather validating information that enables a pro-active approach to problem solving and the determination of future initiatives
- Be an active participant and supporter of student activity programs and parent events
- Implement the strategic learning plan
- Manage change smoothly
- Additional specific responsibilities will be assigned as needed by the Head of School
Specific Responsibilities to include:
- Oversee student conduct and discipline
- Monitor student attendance/tardies
- Ensure student compliance with dress code
- Lead Mandatory Study Hall
- Assist students in need of academic probation contract or academic lab
- Issuance of social probation contracts
- Senior gate passes - monitor, issue / revoke
- Detention/Sat. school assignments
- Lunch supervision assignments
- Coordinating the GCW program
- Assist as needed with the master schedule
- Oversee and review Parent handbook & Student handbook
- Coordinate and organize Assemblies, Comm groups and Awards Night
- SST - call meetings and chair
- Substance abuse committee including FCD
- Member of school safety review committee
- Coordinate risk management for experiential learning trips
- Assist HODs with the production of their capital budgets
Preferred Qualities and Experience Sought:
- Experience as a learning-focused leader
- Strong academic background (at least a masters degree is required)
- Certification or equivalent as a school administrator
- Experience as an administrator (at least 3 years)
- Demonstrated capacity to encourage excellence in teaching and learning, and an enthusiasm for professional learning on a continual basis
- The ability to engender trust in his or her leadership
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and highly developed communication (listening, written and oral) skills
- Be student-centered, open, approachable, positive and supportive of school initiatives
- Have training and experience in staff supervision and evaluation
- Demonstrate excellent analytical, decision-making, and planning skills
- Preferably have a diversity of overseas international school experience and demonstrated success in a multicultural school environment
- Demonstrated experience in improving instruction, program development, faculty development and faculty evaluation
- Good understanding of assessing and teaching for understanding
- Ability to work collaboratively with school constituencies from diverse backgrounds
- Strong consensus building skills
- Empathic, trustworthy, open-minded, approachable, dedicated, energetic
- Creative problem solver
- Sense of humor
Salary and Benefits
The salary and benefits will be competitive with other large international schools in Asia.
Procedure for Filing Application
Interested candidates should apply through the 'Working at ISB' section of the school’s website: http://www.isb.ac.th/
Candidates should note, however, that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISB reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline.
Applications close 31 October 2014
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.