< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Nov 2, 18
Dec 3, 18
YK Pao School, Shanghai is a private, non-profit school for boys and girls, accredited by both the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and licensed by the Shanghai Education Commission. We offer both boarding and day programmes at our well resourced High School campus in Songjiang District, on the outskirts of the city. Our bilingual academic programme comprises curriculum elements from Shanghai and international curricula. Unusually, we are licensed to admit both Chinese and overseas students. At the Songjiang campus, our students are currently mostly bilingual Chinese children and we use the ACTFL language proficiency standards to help ensure they are positioned for academic success at IGCSE and IBDP when they enroll. Our boarding programme (currently ~540 out of our 600 students are boarders) is also unusual in China and helps our students prepare for independent life at an overseas university, which is the goal for all of them.
We’re also a Round Square school and a full member of EARCOS.
We are seeking to appoint an outstanding candidate to be a member of the High School’s Senior Leadership team to help deliver on our promise to be a school which has genuinely outstanding teaching and learning. This newly created post of Director of Teaching and Learning will work closely with the Principal and our newly created Professional Learning Centre to enhance the quality of teaching across the campus.
If you are interested in the post please send a letter of application, a CV and details of 3 referees to Mark Bishop, the Principal: email@example.com by Monday 3rd December 2018.
- To promote excellence, creativity and innovation in teaching and learning across the school.
- To be a member of the Campus Leadership team and work with the Principal to enhance the strategic development of the school.
- To supervise the identification and management of teachers placed on TIPs.
- To work with HoDs to support the development of high quality of teaching and assessment across the school.
- To help establish YK Pao as a recognised centre for excellence in teaching and learning, running workshops and conferences both at and beyond the School.
- To serve as a model of inspirational teaching within the school and be able to show teachers what is meant by exceptional teaching.
- To monitor, observe and evaluate teaching within the school, identifying areas for staff development, embedding training needs, and making recommendations as appropriate to the Principal.
- To line manage approximately ½ of the Heads of Department (along with the Deputy Principal).
- To manage and work with the Head of Language Development to ensure those with EAL needs are identified and that appropriate support is given both by specialist language teachers and by all teachers in the classroom.
- To support research-based initiatives amongst teaching staff, supporting the dissemination of knowledge and understanding of these across the staff.
- To work with the Principal to identify and recruit outstanding teachers.
- To work with the Tech coach to lead the direction, use and development of digital technology in the learning process, planning and advising on future initiatives, and encouraging risk taking in the use of ICT to enhance the learning process for all.
- To manage and work with the teacher i/c gifted and talented to ensure scholars and other G and T students have suitable provision.
- To teach a reduced timetable in his or her own subject area as means of modelling best practice.
The successful candidate will demonstrate experience and expertise in most or all of the following areas:
Inspirational leadership as evidenced by:
- a high calibre graduate with an impressive record as an outstanding and innovative teacher;
- a commitment to and expertise in staff training and the dissemination of good practice;
- intellectual acuity needed to contribute significantly to educational debate within the school;
- natural leadership qualities with a capacity to initiate and manage change with flair and creativity.
Strong people and organisational management skills as evidenced by:
- a collegiate working style, with an inclusive and empowering approach to management;
- a commitment to principles of sound management including development of staff, establishment and communication of clear standards and expectations, effective delegation, performance monitoring and management, building of trust;
- administrative efficiency and the ability to prioritise.
Compelling personal qualities as evidenced by:
- a compelling personal style with qualities of authority, credibility, personal presence and a passionate commitment to excellence and all round education;
- the possession of influencing and advocacy skills of a high order;
- exceptional communication (both oral and written) and relationship building skills, allied with the ability to listen;
- a strong commitment to upholding high standards and supporting the extra-curricular life of the school;
- personal strength of character with a commitment to transparency, honesty and fairness.
It is likely, though not essential, that the successful candidate will also hold a Master’s degree or higher and have experience of working in a bi- or multi-cultural setting. Experience of working in an IB diploma school would be an advantage but is not essential.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.