< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Oct 19, 14
Nov 15, 14
An Exciting Opportunity at
The American International School Kuwait
Position Available: High School Principal
Start Date: August 2015
The American International School Kuwait is a rigorous and college- preparatory Pre-K through grade 12 school offering three International Baccalaureate Programmes; the PYP, MYP, and DP. We pride ourselves in offering a challenging academic curriculum rooted in nurturing students to thrive and to be balanced. Our school Mission embodies our commitment to our local and international student body:
AIS Kuwait inspires students to become critical thinkers and contributing world citizens through rigor and balance in a nurturing educational environment.
At AIS Kuwait, we believe that
- education has the power to make the world a better place.
- individuals are able to achieve personal excellence and balance in all aspects of their lives.
- intellectual, social, emotional, physical and spiritual development are important facets of education.
- families and communities play an integral role in a child's development.
- everyone has rights and responsibilities and that we are all accountable for our actions.
- respectful and responsible behavior is essential for cooperation and collaboration.
- interaction with individuals of different backgrounds fosters an appreciation for diversity.
- others with different ways of thinking can also be right.
- critical thinkers are inspired by the joy of learning.
Over the course of a PK-12 education, the AIS community works collaboratively to support graduates reach the various aspects of our Profile of the Graduates.
Ideally, AIS graduates will become contributing global citizens, who:
- take initiative to organize ideas and apply thinking skills independently.
- explore concepts, ideas and issues that have significance to local and global systems, and develop their natural curiosity.
- are positive people who value a strong work ethic, self-reliance and volunteerism.
- become flexible and adaptable members of a global community, accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and willing to grow from the experience.
- understand the importance of intellectual and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.
- show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others.
- express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication.
- set goals which are supportive of their learning and personal development and they approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the persistence and adaptability to explore new roles, ideas and strategies.
Commitment to Professional Growth
At AIS, we are committed to the teaching and learning of both professional staff and students. Some examples of this commitment include:
- On-site IBO training and off-site conference attendance
- Curriculum founded on the Common Core State Standards
- Partnership with the Near East South Asia (NESA) council of international schools
- Professional Learning Communities, which becoming increasingly effective through the use of CFG protocols and Adaptive Schools methods
- Adherence to a mission-driven and objective-led school growth and improvement planning process
- Members of the Association of the Advancement of International Education (AAIE)
A School the Provides Balance
- Member of the Near East Schools
- Activities Conference (NESAC), which commits to offering an athletic and activities league to our student body
- Model United Nations with annual participation at THIMUN
- Member of the Kuwait School Athletics and Activities conference (KSAA)
- Vibrant after-school activities opportunities for students
- Concert Band, Drama performances, and an annual Fine Arts Night
- Commitment to service and volunteerism
The Secondary Principal Position
The AIS Secondary Principal:
- Ensures the AIS school Mission, Beliefs, and Objectives are well articulated within the high school (grades 9-12).
- Ensures high expectations for all members of the high school, including staff and students.
- Supports the continuous improvement of the high school and the development of a shared vision of learning and action.
- Models strong instructional leadership by maintaining a strong professional culture with a focus on continuously improving teaching and learning.
- Works closely with the high school and middle school leadership team and teachers to ensure that rigorous instruction and curricula are the norm.
- Monitors initiatives closely and supports measures that support continuous achievement gains closely tied to whole-school objectives and initiatives.
- Manages the daily operations of the high school.
- Oversees the high school teacher assessment model tied to continuous growth and improvement.
- Leads the IBO Programme Coordinators (DP and MYP (collaboratively with the middle school principal)) and the subject Heads of Department to ensure programme adherence and vertical and horizontal curricular articulation and alignment.
- Works closely with the administrative council and the Business Office to maintain a fiscally sound high school.
- Oversees the hiring of high school staff and works closely with the high school leadership team to ensure ideal learning environments are valued. Advises the superintendent on annual recruiting needs.
- Works collaboratively with the administrative council to ensure health and safety of all students is paramount.
- Collaborates with high school families to ensure that diverse community interests are called upon and have impact on the secondary school.
- Upholds and recommends policies and procedures that have impact on the high school and the whole school, in general.
- Collaborates with the Curriculum Coordinator on issues of curriculum development.
- Assists the MYP Coordinator and the DP Coordinator with the implementation of the MYP and the DP.
- Takes initiative to inspire and to develop professional development opportunities for all staff tied to programmatic, curricular, and/or objective-based initiatives.
- Contributes significantly to the administrative council.
- Chairs monthly Head of Department leadership team meetings.
Skills and Competencies
- Prior experience as a high school principal in grades 9-12
- Holds a Master’s degree from an American or equivalent university in administrative leadership or related educational field
- Licensed as a high school principal
- International school experience highly recommended
- Is ethical and acts with integrity
- Understands that student learning is at the center of our educational programs
- Is nurturing of adult and young learners
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive tax free salary
- Annual excursion airfare for principal, spouse and up to two accompanying dependents
- Relocation and settling-in allowances
- Provided housing with major furniture and appliances
- International healthcare provided
- Annual professional conference and professional development allowance
- Automobile allowance
- Annual performance bonus
How to Apply
Please email your letter of interest, current C.V./resume, qualifications, and three letters of recommendation with the subject line indicating your interest in the High School Principal position by November 15, 2014 to:
Mr. David Botbyl
Please visit our website at www.ais-kuwait.org for more information about our school.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.