< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - No longer accepting applications
Oct 8, 13
Oct 28, 13
The International Community School of Addis Ababa
High School Principal
The International Community School of Addis Ababa, accredited in the United States, develops the talents and intellects of a diverse, multicultural student body through a learner-centered holistic program, empowering each student to contribute and excel in the 21st century.
ICS Background and Community
The International Community School of Addis Ababa is an independent, coeducational not-for-profit American-style international school. ICS Addis offers an educational program from early childhood through grade 12. The school was founded in 1964 and currently serves 820 students representing 65 nationalities. The school enrolls children whose parents are employed in business, embassies, aid and development agencies, and multinational organizations such as the UN and African Union.
ICS Addis is governed by a nine-member Board of Governors. The US Ambassador and Board each appoint one member, and seven parents are elected for two-year terms by the Association (parents and teachers). The Board operates within the Carver model: it focuses on the future well-being of the school and its programs, and leaves daily management to the Head of School and his staff.
Leadership Structure AND Faculty
Divisional principals for elementary, middle, and high school form the Senior Academic Leadership Team along with the Head and Deputy Head of School. The high school principal is supported by the IB Diploma Coordinator, two counselors, several program directors (such as CAS) and a team of talented and dedicated teachers. Our teachers represent 15 nationalities, with the broadest representation from the USA and Canada. 80% of our faculty members have advanced educational qualifications.
High School Curriculum
ICS Addis offers an American-style high school diploma as well as the IB Diploma Program in grades 11 and 12. We do not select students for IB courses based on their ability or past achievement; all students are encouraged to pursue either the full IB Diploma or individual IB courses as suits their university aspirations.
Learn about ICS Addis
The school’s website at www.icsaddis.edu.et offers many resources to learn about schoolwide programs, the campus facilities, the high school program, and about living in Ethiopia. Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to review the website to develop an understanding of our school.
The successful candidate will:
- Model the IB Learner Profile professionally and personally.
- Be an optimist with a good sense of humor, compassion, resilience and flexibility.
- Advocate for high school students and programs, and support schoolwide goals.
- Collaborate, support, empower and engage with administrative colleagues, school staff and other community members.
- Work skillfully and sensitively with people from a wide variety of cultures and display a commitment to international mindedness.
- Minimum of three years of experience as High School Principal or Assistant Principal.
- Masters degree
- Experience with IB Diploma Program and/or guidance counseling.
- A demonstrable, clear vision for a holistic, 21st century educational program.
- Effective and engaging interpersonal and communication skills.
- Applies a variety of leadership styles appropriate to the situation.
- Commitment to continuous improvement of leadership and other personal and professional skills.
- Builds strong, supportive relationships, to participate in and to build collaborative teams and learning communities.
- Experience with standards based assessment, grading and reporting.
- Successful High School teaching experience.
- Recognized credential(s) or certification in educational leadership.
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
- Five-plus years of school leadership experiences that demonstrate a passion for best practices and programs in high schools.
- Trainer for curriculum development and in planning and facilitating curriculum implementation.
- Mentoring teachers to improve learning and teaching.
- Managing change in a rapidly improving or growing school environment.
- Using MAP, other internal/external assessment results, and Atlas Rubicon to improve teaching and learning and curricular programming.
- Experience in strategic planning and accreditation schemes for continuous improvement.
- Teaching or leadership experience in a tech-infused learning environment.
- Teaching or leadership in an inclusive school program with a diverse range of learners.
- IB Diploma teaching experience.
Salary and Benefits
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial two-year term. The salary and benefits package will be very competitive for the region and will include furnished housing, retirement contribution, airfare, school-provided vehicle, school fees for accompanying dependent children, medical and other international insurances, and freight allowance. There is considerable discretionary income. Further details will be given to shortlisted candidates during interviews.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should use the school’s employment portal and complete an online application no later than Monday, 28 October 2013. Do not apply directly to the Head of School. Administrative dossiers with ISS, CIS or Search Associates should be mentioned but will not substitute for a direct application to ICS Addis.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit an application, visit http://www.icsaddis.edu.et/employment/apply.
As a part of the application process, candidates must submit a PDF packet with the following documents:
- A letter of interest explaining your strengths as a school leader, and why you think you are a good match for the position and our school.
- A current résumé.
- A list of at least four recent referees. Contact information should include name, position, current email address, Skype address, mobile/office numbers and current (anticipated) time zone. Your list should include your current supervisor and may include one administrative colleague.
- Open letters of reference from recent supervisors or Board members are welcome and should be included in the single PDF. ICS reserves the right to contact the writers of open references for confidential statements.
- Spouse’s résumé if s/he will also be applying for work at ICS Addis.
ICS Addis expects to complete this hiring process by mid-December, 2013. We will respond briefly to all applications received via the portal. Highly qualified candidates may be interviewed as applications are received. If an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ICS may make an appointment prior to the application deadline. A short list of candidates may be invited for final interviews.