< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jun 15, 21
Oct 31, 21
An Exciting Leadership Opportunity in Barcelona
as a High School Principal in 22-23
Only rarely does an opportunity for a significant leadership opportunity come up in a city like Barcelona. This is a wonderful chance for a dynamic rising star to assume this important role.
Founded in 1962 and with a current enrollment of 900, ASB is an independent, non-profit, coeducational, university preparatory day school which serves the International and Spanish communities in Barcelona from preschool to grade 12. ASB is accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organization, the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and is authorized by the Spanish and Catalan Ministries of Education. In addition, the school has recently renovated and built new facilities on a purpose-built campus.
ASB´s Vision: The American School of Barcelona seeks to continuously improve through innovation. Our aim is to be recognized as the leading international school in Europe, empowering students to lead with integrity, to open minds, and to transform the world.
ASB is seeking a High School Principal starting in the 22-23 school year with strong academic and leadership qualifications, whose energy and vision will provide a unifying spirit of direction and purpose for this outstanding international school.
The High School Principal serves as the instructional leader of grades 9-12 and is responsible for the total operation of the High School including the administration and supervision of all phases of the instructional program and management of the facility. The High School Principal shall provide leadership, administrative, and supervisory skills for the educational development of students as well as to promote parent and community involvement
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative working relationships with other administrators, staff members, students and parents.
- Ability to implement best practices in High School education, curriculum, staff development, essential elements of instruction and clinical supervision.
- Ability to lead staff toward instructional improvement and conduct staff development sessions.
- Ability to implement policies and procedures as well as lead grade level and departmental teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Possess personal qualities associated with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other administrators, staff members, parents and students.
- Ability to promote and maintain strong parental and community involvement.
- Ability to foster a sense of community among staff
- A Master’s Degree with specialisation in education, administration, or related fields.
- At least five years of High School teaching experience.
- Previous experience as a principal or leader in school desired.
- Previous experience in international school and IB curriculum preferred.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and Develop the High School, the International Baccalaureate program, and their staff.
- Coordinate and supervise all activities and programs conducted in grades 9-12 such as schedules, report cards, meetings, and trips.
- Implement programs and policies in grades 9-12 and provide in-service as needed.
- Oversee support, professional development and supervision of all High School staff and collaborate in the hiring process.
- Assume responsibility for the school budget and oversee maintenance and proper utilisation of facilities.
- Be responsible for the overall achievement, welfare and conduct of students.
- Promote and maintain strong parental and community involvement.
DETAILED DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The High School Principal shall:
- Coordinate and supervise all activities and programs conducted in grades 9-12.
- Evaluate the implementation of programs in grades 9-12 and provide in-service as needed.
- Evaluate the performance of all staff and provide opportunity for improvement or take other steps as necessary.
- Assume responsibility for maintenance and proper utilization of facilities.
- Be responsible for the overall achievement, welfare and conduct of students in Grades 9-12.
Organisation and Administration
- Show knowledge of School Policies and Procedures.
- Work cooperatively with the high school administrative team and all staff in grades PK-12.
- Demonstrate long-range planning.
- Submit accurate reports on a timely basis.
- Assume responsibility for all staff members assigned to work in Grades 9-12 and all programs implemented therein, delegating responsibility and authority as appropriate.
- Organise all staff and student schedules for the best interest of the students.
- Be knowledgeable and aware of all Ministry of Education and IB regulations.
- Oversee the implementation and improvement of the IB program.
- Keep updated on all school policies and communicate policy as needed to the school community.
- Keep the Director of Teaching and Learning informed regarding the educational programs, activities, and needs.
- Disseminate newsletters on a weekly basis during the school year.
- Disseminate guidelines on attendance, curriculum and discipline to both parents and staff at the beginning of each school year.
- Coordinate Parent/Teacher conference activities to insure maximum participation.
- Provide appropriate staff development as needed.
- Evaluate the work performance and write performance reports on all High School staff members.
- Fulfill professional responsibility by serving on the Senior Leadership and other committees as needed.
- Provide opportunity for staff social interaction to build rapport and morale.
- Establish procedure for orienting new staff members.
- Be responsible for the health and welfare of the children within the school environment.
- Follow procedure for screening and approval of visitors to the school.
- Assume responsibility for efforts to improve student achievement
- Oversee the Response to Intervention (RTI) system in the High School.
- Maintain appropriate student records following proper procedures and insure privacy of records.
- Oversee the conduct of students and follow through on disciplinary actions in accordance with school policy.
- Review and coordinate all student activities.
- Be responsible for the classification, promotion or retention of students within the framework of school policy.
- Be current in knowledge of curriculum development.
- Assume responsibility for appropriate placement and instruction (grade level and special programs.
- Assume responsibility for assisting in the development of the curriculum and in planning and adapting the courses of study to the needs and interests of the children.
- Review and assess staff utilization and make appropriate changes to strengthen programs such as IB for students.
- Oversee management of food services to make sure students are getting fresh and healthy food in the school cafeteria.
- Supervise custodial and maintenance services in the High School area.
- Oversee health care services.
- Coordinate requests for trips and student transportation with teachers, support staff, and other administrators.
- Supervise inventory and maintenance of school property in the High School section.
- Ensure the safety and security of buildings and grounds in the High School section.
- Be responsible for student activity funds and other delegated fiscal responsibilities.
- Be responsible for assessment of building needs and development of budget requests.
- Be responsible for High School and IB budgets.
- Be accountable for ethical behaviour as it applies to job responsibilities.
- Continue to grow professionally as evidenced by continuing educational classes, professional conferences, visits to other schools and by maintaining current knowledge of professional literature.
- Participate in school functions.
- Take interest in local and international professional organisations to promote professional improvement and render greater services.
CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS
Contract type: permanent with a three year permanence
Starting date: August, 2022
NOTE: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorised to give instructions or assignments. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
RECRUITING PRINCIPLES: ASB is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, volunteers and other third parties to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice and pre-employment background checks, to the maximum extent permitted by law, will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed.
ASB does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin in the administration of its recruiting and educational policies.
If interested, send your application before November 2021
via ASB’s website or Search