< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Mar 9, 14
Apr 1, 14
Interim High School Principal at Saigon South International School (Vietnam)
HS Principal (One year interim appointment)
Head of School
Department or Division
Type of Position
Salary and Terms
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The search is for a one-year interim principal. It is not anticipated that the interim principal will be a candidate for the full-time appointment for 2015-2016 and beyond.
Saigon South International School (SSIS) was founded in 1997 to accommodate an demand from both local residents and expatriate families for an American-style education. Located in the quickly growing District 7 of South Saigon, SSIS is just two and a half miles south of the city center, District 1, of Ho Chi Minh City. SSIS is governed by a three-member board and operates as a non-profit entity.
Today, SSIS enrolls over 870 students from more than thirty-three countries. Our professionally certified and experienced teachers are career educators and most come from North America, Australia and the United Kingdom. As specialists in their subject area, almost all hold advanced educational degrees. Our student teacher ratio is 10 to 1 and all early childhood and elementary classes have a full-time teaching assistant.
SSIS facilities are outstanding and appropriately support our curricular and co-curricular programs, as well as our after school activities program at the elementary level and the athletic program in grades 4-12. The school offers an American-based curriculum, augmented by the rigorous Advanced Placement Program (AP) and International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IB-DP) in the high school.
The High School Principal is the administrative director of the division and provides visionary educational leadership that assures each student the opportunity to reach his or her potential across a broad field of studies.
Secondary teaching and/or administrative experience
Familiarity with various secondary school curriculums and the ability to articulate the strengths and weaknesses of these
The ability to gain, and maintain, the confidence of highly motivated parents and students
Demonstrated ability to create and lead academically rigorous programs across multiple grade levels and across the disciplines
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
A good sense of humor and a positive outlook
Strong background in teaching as well as administrative experience, especially with the AP and/or IB programs
International school experience in a variety of roles
Familiarity with the region, its culture and its languages
A strong understanding of academic and administrative technologies
Students and Parents
- The Principal works to ensure a safe and supportive environment for all students in the High School.
- The Principal works with the Admissions Director to review the files of students applying to the division and to determine their suitability for acceptance.
- The Principal is responsible for facilitating appropriate contact with the parents of students within the division, including a weekly newsletter and other divisional publications.
- The Principal participates in the events and activities of the high school division and, regularly, in the events and activities of the whole school and other divisions.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Working with the Head of School and Curriculum Coordinator, the Principal is the curricular leader of the division, working with the faculty to know, understand, teach and improve the curriculum.
- The Principal monitors, evaluates and reviews the curriculum and assessment strategies to maximize student learning.
- The Principal is responsible for ensuring that the educational program appropriately challenges all students, balancing an academically rigorous program with a personalized, caring environment.
Human Resource and Staff Development
- The Principal works together with the Head of School to identify staffing needs and assists with teacher recruitment.
- The Principal is responsible for the scheduling and chairing of regular division meetings and the appraisal of divisional staff.
- The Principal works together with the Curriculum Coordinator to oversee the professional development of teachers within the high school division.
Other Administrative Responsibilities
- The Principal is responsible for the high school master timetable and assists other administrators in the creation and maintenance of a calendar of events for the whole school.
- The Principal is responsible for the High School budget, assisting in its formation and oversight.
- The Principal meets regularly with the Head of School to report and advise on the state and direction of the High School.
Within the Range of Responsibilities
- The Principal, in rotation with the heads of the other divisions, assumes the duties of the Head of School during the latter’s absence.
- The Principal is responsible for such duties as may be assigned by the Head of School.
Particulars of the Search
Interested candidates should email a detailed resume or curriculum vitae, a statement of personal educational philosophy, and the names and address of persons who may be contacted for references.
The Head of School reserves the right to apply directly to the writers of open letters of recommendation for confidential statements.
Applications should be received by 01 April 2014 and candidates will be interviewed by a select group of administrators. The School reserves the right to extend an offer to the right candidate at any stage, even prior to the application deadline.
Saigon South continues its search for a permanent High School Principal. Should a suitable candidate be discovered during the search for an interim head, the School may invite that candidate for a site visit and adjust the search process accordingly.
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in this position.
- A current résumé not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page statement outlining educational philosophy and leadership style.
- A one-page list of references with phone numbers and email addresses.
- A maximum of three letters of reference which may already be in your possession.
Please note that all the above materials must be scanned into a single PDF and sent in the same transmission to all of the e-mail addresses listed below. Also, please note that it is important to limit the size of your single PDF to 5MB.
With a cc: to
For further information about SSIS, please see the school’s website at www.ssis.edu.vn