< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 18, 2023
Nov 30, 2023
Branksome Hall Asia is dedicated to promoting values of innovative thinking, global social awareness, and self-sufficiency, helping students push the limits of what they can achieve. A sister school of the renowned Branksome Hall in Toronto, Canada, Branksome Hall Asia empowers over 1100 students in grades JK-12 to be the leaders of tomorrow.
Branksome Hall Asia, opened in 2012 on Jeju Island, South Korea, builds upon the strong, established traditions of Branksome Hall Canada, founded in 1903, and its exemplary reputation for a liberal arts curriculum and approach to education that prepares students to be lifelong learners and leaders.
Situated on a remarkable modern campus, Branksome Hall Asia enrolls both boarding and day students who follow the full International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum JK-12 and have the opportunity to experience a wide range of programs in the arts, athletics, technology, and community service. The strength of the IB program, combined with the school’s commitment to empowering students, makes Branksome Hall Asia a truly remarkable place to live, learn, and work. As a testament to its excellence, Branksome Hall Asia was awarded the highest honor presented by the ISC Research International School Awards receiving the distinction of International School of the Year Award for 2021.
Each day, we challenge and inspire students to love learning and to shape a better world.
To be the pre-eminent educational community of globally minded learners and leaders.
Care, Collaboration, Excellence
The Junior School
The Junior School (Grades JK Prep - 5) provides an exemplary preparatory program. Branksome Hall Asia remains dedicated to support students to become confident, capable individuals inspired to meet life’s challenges with intelligence, sensitivity, and courage. Our IB advantage, leadership through service, IT integration, and English Language Acquisition programs are distinguished features of the Junior School experience.
We implement an international curriculum framework and are dedicated to ensuring the best possible development of your child’s total well-being. We focus equally on students’ academic rigor and challenge, their emotional well-being, and their physical development, and follow inquiry-based approaches to learning and teaching. Service learning is a key component of our curricular and co-curricular programs, as we have a commitment to develop an ethos of care and compassion as students engage to develop solutions to real-life problems.
The Junior School has seen incredible growth in student numbers in recent years. For the school year 2023-2024, there will be 33 homeroom classes with approximately 642 students in the Junior School. The Junior School Principal will lead a dynamic and passionate team of 104 faculty and staff, including caring, experienced and dedicated teachers, counselors, teacher interns, and educational assistants.
Branksome Hall Asia’s purpose-built Boarding Houses are designed to enable students from around the world to live together and thrive. The Boarding program is offered to students in grades 6 through 12 and provides opportunities for students to develop self-efficacy and a strong sense of family and community. There is a high expectation of personal responsibility and value for international-mindedness. A large percentage of the student body are Korean with approximately 15% Chinese or other international nationalities.
The school’s innovative co-curricular program, CASE (Creativity, Activity, Service, and Enrichment Activities) provides extensive opportunities for students to explore their areas of interest in the arts, athletics, and community service. Students participate in artistic endeavors including theatrical and musical productions, Korean calligraphy, digital storytelling, symphony orchestra, and much more. Students develop their athletic and sportsmanship skills via a host of team sports and clubs, including badminton, volleyball, tennis, basketball, soccer, golf, swimming, skating, cross country, track and field, and equestrian. Students develop their leadership through service skills and become actively engaged citizens with a local and global outlook. They further discover and pursue their passions and interests through clubs such as yearbook, public speaking, creative writing, language clubs, robotics academy, World Scholar’s Cup, among many others.
The School’s award-winning campus is surrounded by natural beauty and culture. The intentional design of the campus embodies the school’s ethos and provides a landscape for learning where the environment reflects the integration of structure and landscape. The school’s facilities include an Olympic-sized pool and ice rink, fitness center, tennis courts, golf green, and fields. Eight fully outfitted science labs and 4 spacious art studios are housed in the STEM-V Center with design studios and adjacent breakout spaces. The state-of-the-art Performing Arts Center includes a 370-seat theater, spacious studios, practice rooms, TV and recording studios, and a Black Box theater. A newly designed Lower Junior Pod opened its doors to students in grades JK Prep to Grade 2 in April 2023.
Grades 3 - 5 are housed in the Upper Junior Pod and the Upper Junior School Deputy Principal will be based in this building. A building which won design awards when the school first opened, the Upper Junior School pod is round, bright and reflects the nature of the PYP. Classrooms have a wall of glass, so students can see each other working and the rooms feel invitational and collaborative.
The Upper Junior School pod houses 15 homeroom classrooms along with spaces for the Korean, Chinese, Learning Support and EAL teachers. Close to the pod is the Upper Junior School art room and the design lab. Students travel a few minutes to go to the Library and to the Upper Junior School music room.
One of the nine provinces of South Korea, Jeju Island is known for its natural beauty and miles of seashore. A popular vacation destination, the island welcomes over 10 million visitors annually. Much of the island is a designated national park, and attracts many looking to explore its natural attractions and hike its dormant volcano. A UNESCO World Heritage site, the 700 square miles of island features extensive hiking and riding trails, as well as “the finest lava tube system of caves anywhere.”
The island is a unique and beautiful place to work and live. At once rural and somewhat remote, Jeju is a 50-minute flight from Seoul and other major Asian cities. The air route from Seoul to Jeju is the most frequently traveled domestic route, bringing many visitors and a busy island economy for its half-million residents. Branksome Hall Asia’s modern campus blends technology with an appreciation for nature, celebrating both tradition and innovation on Jeju Island.
Title: Junior School Deputy Principal
Reports to: Junior School Principal
Functional relationships: Faculty, Staff, Students, and Parents
Length of Initial Term: 2-year initial contract
The Junior School is fortunate to have two dedicated Deputy Principals, one for the Lower Junior School and one for the Upper Junior School. After four successful years at BHA, our current Upper Junior School Deputy Principal is embarking on new adventures, creating a unique opportunity for a talented individual to step into this pivotal role.
It is worth noting that our current Lower Junior School Deputy Principal possesses the skills and expertise to either stay in his current role in the Lower Junior School or seamlessly transition into the Upper Junior School Deputy Principal position. Therefore, we are flexible and open to appointing the successful candidate to the position that best aligns with their unique skill-set and experience.
The ideal candidate for the Junior School Deputy Principal role will play a crucial part in shaping the educational experience of our students. They will collaborate closely with the Junior School Principal, ensuring a nurturing and supportive environment for our students. With exceptional communication and teamwork skills, coupled with a proven ability to forge genuine connections with students, this individual will join a passionate and dedicated team. In this role, they will collaborate closely with the Junior School Principal, the other Deputy Principal, PYP Coordinator, Junior School Teachers, Teacher Interns, and Educational Assistants to foster an inclusive and enriching learning environment for all.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure high standards of learning and pastoral care through regular classroom visits, co-teaching, and supporting teachers in their own professional development
- Act as a coach/mentor to support teachers and teacher interns to improve professional knowledge, skills, and understandings regarding inquiry, pedagogy, and implementation strategies
- Lead and oversee initiatives related to pastoral care, and the implementation of Kelso’s Choice and Restorative Practice in collaboration with the Junior School Counselors and Learning Support teachers.
- Plan and facilitate workshops for parents to enhance their understanding of the school’s program, culture of care, policies, and procedures
- Ensure that the School’s Code of Conduct is followed
- Liaise with Junior School counselors and the Junior School Principal about student behavior
- Meet with parents to resolve conflicts and concerns and inform them of behavior expectations
- Support the use of documentation and research to improve student learning, to identify next steps in learning, and develop intervention strategies
- Oversee the Teacher Intern program at the school, including, but not limited to, providing regular Professional Development and support for teacher interns, with support from the other Deputy Principal
- Work with Junior School Principal on recruitment of teachers and teacher interns
- Work to support the school-wide and Junior School goals, in coordination with the Junior School Principal, the other Deputy Principal, and the PYP Coordinator
- Assess and develop the future needs of the Junior School, in coordination with the the Junior School Principal, and the other Deputy Principal
- Meet weekly to support the Junior School Counselors and Learning Support team
- Be the Junior School liaison for CPOMS to track student behavior and support
- Deputizing for the Junior School Principal in his absence or other appropriate times
- Model the IB Learner Profile
- Create and share the Duty Roster, and the daily Cover Schedule for teachers and interns
- Plan and oversee the school’s childcare services for our faculty
- Greet parents and students each morning and afternoon
- Work in collaboration with the other Junior School Deputy Principal and the PYP Coordinator to develop the Junior School calendar and planning events, including assemblies and parent conferences/reports
- Plan and implement the induction of new staff in collaboration with the Junior School Principal, the other Junior School Deputy Principal, and the PYP Coordinator
- Assist in the development of assessment and data collection protocols and analysis to support learning and guide teaching
- Work collaboratively to review curriculum requirements to create the Junior School timetable, in collaboration with the Junior School Principal, the other Junior School Deputy Principal, and the Deputy Head of School.
- Work in collaboration with the Junior School Principal, PYP Coordinator, and MYP and DP coordinators to oversee WASC Accreditation, IB Evaluation Visits, and Action Plans
- Assist with student admissions
- Assist the Junior School Principal, the other Junior School Deputy Principal, and PYP Coordinator with the preparation of student reports
- Work collaboratively to develop the faculty meeting/PD schedules for the Junior School, and lead faculty meetings, as needed
- Provide meaningful mentorship for teacher interns by creating a work environment that encourages a growth mindset, a commitment to the school’s Mission and Vision, and the development of collaborative relationships within the Junior School staff and faculty
- Oversee the Academic Enrichment Program for Grades 2-5
- Undertake other reasonable duties as required by the Junior School Principal and Head of School
Experience and Qualifications
The Junior School Deputy Principal will have proven school leadership experience, be committed to the education of students, and be able to lead a globally-minded Junior School.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes and qualifications:
- Share the vision, mission, and core values of the School
- Hold a Master’s degree and Administrative Qualifications
- Have experience in international education and a demonstrated understanding and commitment to the IB
- Two or more years of experience in an educational leadership role (preferred)
- Be culturally aware, empathetic, and diplomatic
- Be a strong communicator: written and oral
- Lead by example
- Be collaborative
- Support and encourage professional growth in teachers
- Have passion, energy, optimism, and a genuine interest in and commitment to inspire and serve students and parents, and the wider community
In addition to the above qualifications and experience, we are seeking an educational leader that is HUMBLE, GRACIOUS AND KIND.
Compensation for this position will be commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and is competitive globally. Benefits include furnished housing, annual travel, and health care.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit one electronic .pdf file to email@example.com by November 30, 2023 with the following materials:
- Formal cover letter for the position
- Current resume
- Statement of educational philosophy and leadership practice, no longer than 1 page
- List of 3 references with name, title, phone number and email address
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as Branksome Hall Asia reserves the right to close the selection process at any time.
School Address and Contact Information
Branksome Hall Asia
234 Global Edu-ro
Daejeong-eup, Seogwipo City
Jeju, Korea, 63644