< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 20, 19
Oct 15, 19
School: American School Hong Kong - 6 Ma Chung Road, Tai Po, Hong Kong
Position: Assistant Principal, Middle/High School
Start Date: July 31, 2020
American School Hong Kong (ASHK) is a not-for-profit, college preparatory international school located in Tai Po in the New Territories in Hong Kong. The school opened in 2016 for students from Kindergarten to Grade 6. The Middle School was added in 2017 and the High School program, with the addition of a grade 9 class, was launched in 2019.
American School Hong Kong is owned by Esol Education, a premier international education organization, with 40 years of expertise in establishing American and British international schools worldwide. Esol Education currently operates 10 high quality international schools across three continents with more than 10,000 students registered. Graduates from Esol schools are now attending leading universities, including Stanford, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Yale, Columbia, University of Toronto, and the London School of Economics.
ASHK has been granted initial accreditation status by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), and by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In addition, ASHK is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and is pursuing authorization to offer the program beginning in 2021/22.
At ASHK, our mantra is focused on high expectations of ourselves and high expectations for the students who enter our school community. The combination of a welcoming and safe environment, skilled and inspirational teachers, and supportive parents, makes for great learning and a rich, rewarding atmosphere. We are committed to building a learning community where care and respect for one another is of paramount importance. We are committed to providing a balanced and holistic program with equal emphasis on the intellectual, social, creative, and physical domains.
To provide a challenging American and international education that empowers students to be independent critical thinkers and responsible global citizens who excel in their future studies and careers.
To be widely recognized as a welcoming global community where creativity and innovation equip students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to achieve their fullest potential.
English is the language of instruction and communication at the school. Teachers integrate a STEAM program in the Elementary and Middle School divisions.
In the Elementary School (KG2 - grade 5), Middle School (grades 6 - 8), and High School (grades 9 and 10) the US Common Core (Math and English), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and American Education Reaches Out (AERO) Standards, along with other best-practice international frameworks, provide the foundation for learning.
Enrolment in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is the preferred option for grade 11 and 12 High School students.
American School Hong Kong seeks to appoint an Assistant Principal for the Middle/High School division. Reporting to the School Director, the Assistant Principal will assist with the development and delivery of an integrated, holistic, well-organized, and enjoyable teaching and learning program.
As a member of the school’s Administrative Team, the Assistant Principal will contribute to the development of the school’s mission/vision strategy and the establishment of a broad set of policies and procedures in support of the mission/vision.
The Assistant Principal will assume significant responsibility for curriculum review, development, and implementation (CRDI) in the Middle and High School divisions. As Chair of the IB Steering Committee, the Assistant Principal will be expected to take a lead role with all aspects of IB DP authorization and implementation.
As a collaborative and welcoming school leader, the Assistant Principal will also make meaningful contributions toward building a strong sense of community and positive culture within the school.
- While collaborating with other members of the administrative team, ensure that the intent of the school’s Mission and Vision statements are manifest in all areas of the school’s curriculum and organizational plan
- Support academic subject teams in their development, understanding and implementation of the curriculum
- Work with the administrative team, IB Coordinator, and Middle/High School teachers to ensure compliance with all IB and WASC/MSA accreditation requirements
- Support teachers in their development, understanding and implementation of the teacher advisor program
- Take a positive and proactive approach to student academic, behavioral, and emotional development
- Oversee off-campus learning experiences including field trips and the annual ‘Week Without Walls’ program
- Assist with the organization of Extra Curricular Activities (ECA’s)
- Develop timetables, schedules and procedures/protocols to ensure the effective delivery of educational services
- Assist in the development and administration of policies dealing with discipline, conduct, and attendance
- Review professional growth plans and conduct teacher evaluations as needed
- Identify teacher training needs and plan and deliver professional development activities in accordance with the school’s curriculum plan and pedagogical and assessment frameworks
- Oversee assessment and reporting procedures and proof and edit reports as required
- Assist with the procurement of equipment and resources for the program
- Assist with the development of the orientation program for new and returning faculty
- Assist with the recruitment of faculty as required
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director
Required and Preferred Qualifications and Experiences:
- Teaching qualification and appropriate certification
- Master’s degree in educational administration or curriculum development
- Experience with Common Core curriculum
- A minimum of 10 years of successful classroom teaching including an extended period of exemplary teaching within an IB setting
- Significant experience in leadership positions in an IB setting
- Exceptional leadership, communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- A positive, caring, community-minded team player with a passion for middle and high school education
Compensation and Benefits:
American School Hong Kong offers an initial contract term of two years (renewable). The salary and benefits package will be competitive within Asia. Benefits include a gratuity upon successful completion of the contract, housing allowance, relocation allowance, medical insurance, tuition subsidy for dependent children, and a professional development allowance.
Applications should be received by October 15, 2019. The following application materials are required:
- Expression of interest
- A current CV with photograph and the contact details of 3 professional referees (at least one from a supervisor at your current school)
- One-page statement of educational philosophy and leadership style
Include all documents in a single PDF file and forward by email to:
American School Hong Kong
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.