< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 28, 19
Nov 13, 19
Middle School Assistant Principal
Starting August 2020
The International School of Panama (ISP) seeks a dynamic educational administrator with a deep knowledge of middle school level functions and structures, experience with curriculum leadership, a collaborative mindset, and outstanding communication skills to assist our Middle School Principal. The successful candidate will be committed to the growth and development of students, faculty, staff, and self, and to the establishment of the ISP middle school as a world-class program.
Panama is a rugged and mountainous country located on the narrow isthmus linking North and South America. It is in the tropical region just north of the equator and has two seasons, wet and dry. Panama’s population is approximately 3.4 million.
Panama City, with a population of 1.5 million, is situated on the Pacific coast and has become a business and economic hub in the Central American region; it is a multinational, modern metropolis with all the benefits and dynamism of a large population center, and is known as a safe and easy place to live and work. Excellent medical care is available as are fine dining, modern apartments, and low cost shopping. Good roads provide easy links to tourist areas. Divers and surfers have excellent opportunities to explore the waters off Panama, the beaches along the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean. National parks offer pristine nature and wildlife, and a variety of hiking options. The Panama Canal is a signature attraction, and one of the greatest engineering feats of modern times.
The PositionThe primary function of the MS Assistant Principal, in partnership with the Principal, at the International School of Panama is to organize and foster a positive, safe environment that is conducive to best meet the needs of all students, staff and parents. The MS Assistant Principal is a critical leader who works in partnership and assists the Principal to build a cohesive team, supports and leads the MS faculty and staff, and works to ensure outstanding results are measurably achieved. The Assistant Principal acts in the capacity of the Principal during the Principal’s absence from the school. Depending on the set of skills this person brings, in the future he or she, may become the liaison with the ministry of education
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Assists the Principal in the overall administration of the Middle School.
- Assist the Principal with maintaining, evaluating and improving operating systems and processes.
- Assist the Principal with facilities and technology.
- Coordinate with the counselor to supervise students and support student discipline.
- Participate and assist in school events and serve as an active liaison and problem solver with students, parents, and staff.
- Assist the Principal with direct supervision and evaluation of teachers; assist with the joint supervision, and provide input for evaluations as necessary.
- Assist with the recruiting, screening, hiring, training, assigning and evaluating of the school’s professional staff.
- Meet with grade level teams during appropriate planning times to help with coordination and planning of curriculum.
- Work with the administrative team to plan, implement and evaluate professional development.
- Supervise and evaluate teachers and support staff as directed by the Principal.
- Communicate with grade level and specialist teams.
- Maintain and share school vision for ongoing improvement of teaching and learning.
- Gather information/data from parents, students and staff as needed.
- Assist the Principal in providing parents with information regarding curriculum, instruction, divisional procedures and special events.
Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Work collaboratively with staff and administrators to facilitate improvement and refinement of curriculum, instruction and standards-based assessment practices.
- Facilitate development of standards-based learning and reporting process
- Regularly observe teachers and teaching assistants to provide feedback, to facilitate student learning, and foster ongoing improvement of instruction using best practices and school goals.
- Develop teachers’ conceptual knowledge and skills in the specified curriculum areas.
- Provide leadership and work in collaboration with different specialists to develop a comprehensive program to better support our students.
- Coordinate the sharing of information with staff regarding best practices in student support. Ensure, along with other school administrators, that student support is provided at an appropriate level to meet the needs of our students.
- Work closely with the counseling department to develop strong advisory program connected to CASEL core competencies
- Coordinate opportunities for service and off-campus experiential learning
- 3 + years’ experience as AP, preferably in the middle school.
- Successful experience as a teacher in the middle school grades
- A comprehensive understanding of the developmental needs of middle school students
- Demonstrated leadership skills and understanding of curriculum development, a passion for education, and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Experience with implementation of standards-based learning
- Proven experience planning, organizing, and facilitating advisory program and service learning
- Proven successful experience in a leadership role. Enthusiastic and visionary leader
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- The ability to problem solve under pressure
- A commitment to collaboration and shared leadership
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity
- Proven organizational and technological skills
- Qualifications in educational leadership (or current study in that field)
- Sense of humor
- Flexibility and patience
- Ability to adapt to new situations
- Effective interpersonal and professional communication skills
- Ability to provide and receive constructive criticism
- Qualifications/advanced study in subject specific areas
- Experience in school administration
- Experience in an international school setting
- Ability to clearly communicate effectively in Spanish
Education: BA required; Master’s degree preferred
Experience: A minimum of 3 years’ experience as an assistant principal or principal, preferably in the middle school.
- Brief letter of application stating reason for interest in the position
- A current CV/ resume, not to exceed two pages
- A statement of philosophy of education and educational leadership, not to exceed one page
November 13th, 2019, is the deadline for applications. Candidates should note that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible. Please see our website to apply.
Candidates wishing to learn more about the International School of Panama may visit www.isp.edu.pa