< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jun 12, 20
Jul 20, 20
A co-educational PreK-12 private day school grounded in the Christian faith, Hong Kong International School (HKIS) serves over 2,800 students from around the world who seek an American college-preparatory education. HKIS is accredited by the United States’ Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is a member of the East Asia Regional Council of Overseas Schools (EARCOS).
Founded in 1966 by a partnership between the American community and the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, HKIS seeks to develop an educational community that lives out the words of its mission statement, while striving towards its vision:
Dedicating our minds to inquiry, our hearts to compassion,
and our lives to service and global understanding
An American-style education, grounded in the Christian faith
and respecting the spiritual lives of all
HKIS will be a leading place of learning
that inspires a socially engaged community
of collaborative, creative and resilient learners
dedicated to realizing their full potential.
HKIS provides educational excellence with a difference. We focus on developing the whole child and are committed to nurturing each child to achieve his or her full potential. HKIS is dedicated to offering the best in academic and co-curricular excellence while supporting the socio-emotional needs of our students, to ensure a solid foundation for a university education and a well-rounded life.
Admissions qualifications are selective rather than competitive. Students must demonstrate English language competency and an academic record to succeed in a rigorous college-preparatory environment. HKIS also aims to continually expand the cultural diversity of the school; our students come from over 40 nations.
HKIS embeds six Student Learning Results into our academic and co-curricular programs:
Students will achieve their intellectual potential by striving for and attaining the highest standards of academic excellence.
Students will understand and respect Christianity and other religions and will identify and develop their own spiritual identity.
Students will demonstrate respectful and caring attitudes at school and in the community, as well as the courage to stand up for what is right.
Students willingly apply a variety of learning and motivation strategies throughout their learning process.
Contributing to Society
Students will develop the skills they need to form genuine relationships in our diverse society and to make contributions to our community.
Students will gain an understanding of China and an appreciation of the Chinese culture.
The Middle School Associate Principal is an instructional leader who collaborates closely with and supports the Principal with the overall management of the Middle School, grades 6 to 8. This involves support for teaching and learning, including monitoring and implementation of the curriculum; instructional planning of curricular units; supervision, coaching, and evaluation of teachers; supporting ongoing implementation of best practices in instruction; organizing resources; leadership for monitoring student learning including the collection, analysis, and reporting of student learning data; participation in various school-wide improvement committees, strategic plan initiatives, divisional committee work and other areas.
- Advanced degree in Education
- Prior experience and certification as Administrator preferred
- Successful experience in a key leadership role in a secondary school, as an administrator, team leader, or curriculum leader
- Supervisory and/or performance management experience preferred, including engaging in difficult conversations
- Solid conceptual and applied knowledge of current research and trends in literacy, second language learning, and secondary curriculum
- Successful experience in working with children in Middle School grades
- Previous experience in an international school and familiarity with American educational system preferred
- Grounded in knowledge about teaching and learning, particularly for Middle School grades
- Ability to guide, coach, support and develop faculty and staff
- Demonstrated success in working with teachers on continuous improvement initiatives
- Record of being a flexible, positive, collaborative, contributing member of a school leadership team
- Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to prioritize work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communicator – communicates well with a diverse community, proficient writing skills, comfortable doing public presentations
- Recognizes and respects the diversity of ideas, values, and cultures present in an international school
- Skillful at using technology; familiar with learning management systems (e.g., Schoology, PowerSchool)
- Effective and strong decision maker
- Enthusiasm for challenges, change management, setting and achieving high standards of excellence.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Regularly observe teachers, assess their performance and provide feedback on teaching and learning to facilitate student learning and ongoing improvement of instruction.
- Lead teachers in designing curriculum units, performance assessments and instruction that support a deep understanding of content, and achievement of standards and benchmarks
- Lead teachers in collecting and analyzing student learning data to inform and improve instructional practices and to ensure that learning needs of students are appropriately met in a timely manner.
- Develop teachers’ knowledge and skills in the area of assessment and instruction.
- Lead the development and review the efficacy of programs
As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators as well as those of other faiths. HKIS seeks to hire candidates who are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to send their cover letter and resume to email@example.com by July 20, 2020.
Start date for this position is August 2021
Please visit our website (www.hkis.edu.hk) to learn more about our community: our beliefs, core values and learning principles and practices.