< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Andrew Ball
Nov 20, 14
Jan 5, 15
The American International School of Budapest
Seeks a Middle School Principal
Effective August 1, 2015
We have extended the deadline to January 5th, 2015 for submission of materials for this opening. If you have already applied, there is no need to do anything further.
The American International School of Budapest (AISB) seeks to appoint a Middle School Principal who is student centered and committed to standards of excellence within and beyond the classroom.
The Middle School, is housed in a purpose built facility with outstanding resources, and comprises 42 faculty and staff serving approximately 200 students in Grades 6-8. The Middle School has a dedicated and accomplished faculty, committed to pursuing a developmentally sensitive but challenging curriculum, geared toward educating the whole child and includes extensive extracurricular, artistic, and athletic offerings.
The successful candidate will be an experienced Middle School educator, who is knowledgeable of current best practices, and possess a commitment to meaningful curricular innovation. The Middle School Principal will serve as the educational leader for the Middle School, and will provide the necessary inspiration to further faculty professional development and student initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be a well-educated school leader with a record of success of heading a Middle School division. We are looking for someone who is welcoming and open to students, parents and teachers. He or she should be warm and personable, with the ability to listen attentively and show genuine interest in the opinions and concerns of others. An interest in, and experience of supporting students with gifted attributes across academics, arts and athletics within an all ability school, would be a valuable addition to the leadership team. He or she will be familiar with the demands of independent or international school leadership, and have the ability to flourish in an international setting.
The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker who enthusiastically guides and challenges the AISB faculty to develop students to become passionate learners and global citizens. Personal attributes expected, include: self-motivation, the ability to think strategically, and the flexibility to successfully work within a diverse and demanding school environment. A commitment to technology integration is required to successfully lead and manage the Middle School.
Recognized as one of Europe’s premier day schools, AISB is situated on the outskirts of Budapest, recently ranked #2 by Condé Naste ranking of “World’s best cities.”
Founded in 1973, AISB is a private, non-profit educational institution. It is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS), and the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSACS.)
AISB is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School and offers the Diploma program in addition to the American High School Diploma. AISB’s basic tenet is to offer an international education through an American pedagogical approach, which highlights critical thinking skills, creativity and inquiry-based learning.
The School is a member of Central and Eastern European School Association (CEESA), Sports Council of International Schools (SCIS), International Baccalaureate (IB) and the International Schools Theatre Association (ISTA).
AISB occupies a single campus of 13.3 hectares on the northern outskirts of Budapest. The Middle/High School building houses 51 classrooms, library, cafeteria, computer rooms, double-sized gymnasium, single-size gymnasium, 25-meter swimming pool, 350-seat theatre, and performing and visual arts facilities. The Elementary building has 27 classrooms, library, cafeteria, computer rooms, double-size gymnasium and performing and visual arts facilities. In the grounds there are 2 soccer fields, an athletics track with lights, 4 lighted tennis courts and a basketball court.
AISB has a very strong Student Support Program, and Service Learning Program running throughout the entire school. AISB graduates are welcomed each year to a broad range of the World’s most selective colleges and universities.
AISB is governed by a 13 person Board of Directors who are elected or appointed for two-year terms up to a maximum of 6 years’ tenure. Eleven of the Board are voting members and 2 are non-voting members.
School Mission, Vision and Values
The American International School of Budapest prepares its students to be responsible global citizens and inspires in each a passion for knowledge and life-long learning. We are a nurturing and diverse community that instills respect for self and others, develops the whole child, and strives for academic excellence.
AISB will be a leader among the international schools of Europe, recognized for its outstanding students, dedicated faculty, excellent facilities, and rich and challenging programs for students and the community.
- We are an inclusive and involved community of students, teachers and parents.
- We appreciate each member of our community as an individual with unique talents and abilities.
- We embrace the American philosophy of education and its approach to teaching that emphasizes critical thinking skills, creativity and inquiry-based learning.
- We deliver an internationally focused curriculum that encourages open-mindedness, tolerance and cross-cultural understanding.
- We respect our host country’s culture, traditions and environment.
- We require personal integrity and ethical behavior.
- We advocate social responsibility and community service.
- We promote an open and caring dialogue in which each voice is heard.
Current enrolment is 830 (ECC: 55; ES: 295; MS: 206; HS: 275) there are 63 nationalities in the school with the top three being American (20%), Hungarian (20%), and Chinese (10%).
In the 2014-15 school year, there are 114 full-time and 11 part-time faculty, representing 17 nationalities.
Position Title: Middle School Principal
Reports to and is evaluated by: Director
The Middle School Principal will be a member of the School’s Administrative Council and Academic Leadership Council.
- Proven leadership experience, preferably as a Middle School Principal or Vice-Principal.
- Minimum of five years successful teaching experience in a Middle School.
- Teacher certificate required; administrative credential preferred.
- Masters' Degree or advanced graduate study preferably in Middle School education and administration.
Description of Duties:
- Organize, administer, promote and provide instructional leadership to the curricular and co-curricular programs of the Middle School division.
- Prepare and administer the Middle School program budget, requisition appropriate supplies and equipment within that budget, and maintain condition, safety and inventory control over all equipment
- Develop and place into operation appropriate rules and regulations governing student conduct and responsibilities.
- Organize and manage faculty and staff and their assignments, be a mentor to, and evaluate faculty and staff performance on an ongoing basis.
- Foster and maintain clear, school - community relations by: keeping the community aware of and responsive to the Middle School division’s programs and activities; active participation at school assemblies; providing articles and information to parents directly via the school newsletter and on a Principal webpage; participating in parent group such as PSA.
- Comply with and implement all relevant Board Policies and administration requirements.
- Work with School leadership on School wide projects as needed
- Assist the Director in the hiring of qualified faculty and support staff.
- Work with the admissions office in making admission decisions
- Participate in whole School curricular efforts
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Demonstrates visionary educational leadership and is a role model to faculty and staff
- Demonstrates the ability to develop a collegial, collaborative and positive atmosphere amongst the faculty
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills
- Is flexible and has a sense of humour
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Interest in living and working in Hungary
Compensation and Work Year:
The salary and benefits are competitive and will be in line with the school’s salary and benefits policy for Principals.
Please file interest ASAP. Applications deadline January 5, 2015. The expectation is that initial shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by phone/Skype; final shortlisted candidates would then be invited to Budapest in the second week of January.
Additional information about The American International School of Budapest can be obtained from the School's website at www.aisb.hu.
Resume and letter of interest outlining how past and current experiences respond to the needs of the post should be sent via e-mail to:
Gabi Pitz, Administrative Assistant, American International School of Budapest.
E-mail address: email@example.com
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.