< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Aug 22, 19
Oct 4, 19
International School of Panama
Middle School Principal
Starting August 2020
The International School of Panama (ISP) seeks a dynamic educational administrator with a deep knowledge of middle school level functions and structures, experience with curriculum leadership, a collaborative mindset, and outstanding communication skills and educational vision to help lead all elements of ISP’s Middle School program.
This professional will be in charge of supporting the implementation of strategic plans connected to the Middle School and providing a clear focus on student learning and student achievement based on a holistic approach. The successful candidate will be committed to the growth and development of students, faculty, staff, and self, and to the establishment of the ISP middle school as a world-class program.
Panama is a rugged and mountainous country located on the narrow isthmus linking North and South America. It is in the tropical region just north of the equator and has two seasons, wet and dry. Panama’s population is approximately 3.4 million.
Panama City, with a population of 1.5 million, is situated on the Pacific coast and has become a business and economic hub in the Central American region; it is a multinational, modern metropolis with all the benefits and dynamism of a large population center, and is known as a safe and easy place to live and work. Excellent medical care is available as are fine dining, modern apartments, and low cost shopping. Good roads provide easy links to tourist areas. Divers and surfers have excellent opportunities to explore the waters off Panama, the beaches along the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean. National parks offer pristine nature and wildlife, and a variety of hiking options. The Panama Canal is a signature attraction, and one of the greatest engineering feats of modern times.
The Middle School Principal will work closely with the School Director, Director of Teaching and Learning, Pre-K Principal, Elementary Principal, High School Principal, other senior administrators, and School Board:
- Provide educational leadership on all facets of Middle School life.
- Demonstrate a belief in the school’s vision and embrace diversity, including diversity of learning abilities
- Support the school’s strategic initiatives and day-to-day operations, including budget, communications and community relations
- Develop a schedule which reflects the needs of the students and which takes advantage of staff strengths and skills
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a safe, functional and attractive Middle School environment
- Communicate and engage regularly with faculty and parents to inform the community about relevant issues and to maintain trust
- Create a healthy and respectful learning culture that ensures a safe, positive climate for learning
- Attract, supervise and grow the highly qualified educators.
The MS Principal is a critical leader, who works in partnership with the assistant principal and other administrators to build a cohesive team, supports and leads the MS faculty and staff, and works to ensure outstanding results are measurably achieved. ISP seeks a dynamic educational administrator, creative, highly motivated, and committed, with a good sense of humor, ability to cope with the unexpected and a solid vision of the school needs for the future.
The position is very diverse requiring excellent time management and prioritization skills as well as the ability to motivate and lead a large group of professionals with different skills, language abilities and backgrounds. The ability to think clearly in moments of high stress and willingness to have difficult conversations with colleagues and students is essential.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Actively develop and foster positive relationships with students
- Take responsibility for general discipline matters beyond the management of classroom teachers and team leaders
- Develop, monitor and supervise transitions and support programs
- Support student leadership and the Middle School Student Council
- Liaise with the Head of Admissions to manage Middle School student admissions
- Ensure that Middle School Student/Parent Handbook is up to date
- Maintain open communication with staff and foster a professional environment for learning and growth
- Directly supervise and work in collaboration with the Middle School Assistant Principal
- Directly supervise all other full-and part-time Middle School faculty and staff
- Identify staffing needs, conduct recruitment process and secure the best talent for the School
- Ensure that Middle School staff has access to professional learning opportunities that support school and professional goals ensuring the priorities necessary for the overall school program
- Ensure office personnel continue to receive Professional Learning in key areas of responsibility
- Provide effective orientation and induction for new Middle School teaching staff and ensure that the procedures for appraisal are carried out according to policy
Program Leadership and Curriculum
- Exercise oversight of the Middle School instructional program and work in conjunction with the Director of Teaching and Learning
- Implement school curriculum policies
- Maintain curriculum continuity in the school in conjunction with the Principals and Office of Teaching and Learning
- Ensure the regular reporting of student progress to parents in line with program requirements
- Work with the department in developing a realistic, workable yearlong program of units that accurately reflect the goals of the VAPA department.
- Continue to drive forward the department efforts in regard to planning, assessment and curriculum development.
- Work with teachers to develop and enhance their personal practice.
- Work closely with principals in order to ensure programs are reflective of school wide needs
- Conduct multiple observations throughout the year of teaching staff and provide timely constructive evaluator feedback.
- Keep abreast of current trends and developments in the Middle School area and in education
- Oversee the Middle School budget development process as part of the whole school budget and monitor spending and commitments in conjunction with budget line managers
- Allocate positions of responsibility, and other resources within the building in consultation with other administrators
- Assist and support the Director and participate in the recruitment of new faculty staff
- Conduct regular meetings with Middle School faculty and staff
- Be an active and positive member of the ISP Senior Leadership Team
- Give input to the Director in management decisions
- Ensure that all agreed decisions are communicated and implemented effectively
- Ensure that the Director is kept informed of significant information and is sent minutes of all meetings
ISP Profile and Community
- Assist in raising the profile of the Middle School and the whole school in the community
- Ensure that parental interest and participation in the school is encouraged and that scheduled parent/teacher meetings occur
- Attend and support PTA meetings and/or activities
- Oversee and manage the collection, organization, and presentation of all data (assessment data, survey data, etc.) connected to strategic planning, school improvement, and academic programs
- Assist the director in providing parents with information regarding curriculum, instruction, divisional procedures and special events.
- Serve as a liaison between administration, and parents to ensure all stakeholders develop an accurate understanding of the schools mission, vision, and academic and extracurricular offerings.
- Lead and inspire Middle School teachers and administrative assistants that participate in the program.
- Maintain standards and requirements tied to ISP Philosophy of Teaching and Learning and school accreditation agencies
- Work with Director to monitor and evaluate overall program effectiveness
- Maintain a visible presence within the Middle School buildings and Middle School teaching areas
- Be a visible presence at school activities
- Participate in the recruitment of faculty who will foster the mission and vision of ISP
- Support implementation of all aspects of ISP’s strategic plan and ensure adherence to mission and vision of the school
- A minimum of 8-10 years of proven successful experience at the middle School level, with a minimum of 5 years’ administrative experience as a Middle School Principal or Middle School Assistant Principal.
- Experience in an International school setting or school with a highly developed middle school program.
- Energy, charisma and dynamism to drive and continue to develops ISP’s Middle School and program vision
- A comprehensive understanding of the developmental needs of middle school students
- Demonstrated leadership skills and understanding of curriculum development, a passion for education, and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Proven successful experience in a leadership role. Enthusiastic and visionary leader
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral.
- The ability to think creatively
- The ability to problem solve under pressure
- Outstanding personal relations and team working skills
- A commitment to collaboration and shared leadership.
- Proven organizational and technological skills.
- Qualifications in educational leadership.
- Sense of humor.
- Flexibility and patience.
- Ability to adapt to new situations.
- Experience with IBDP, MYP, IGCSE and American (K-12, non AP) systems
- Experience in similar position
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
Salary and Benefits
The overall compensation will be competitive and structured to attract the best talent.
October 4, is the deadline for applications through this link “APLi”. Candidates should note that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is very important that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.
Candidates wishing to learn more about the International School of Panama may visit www.isp.edu.pa
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.