< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jul 19, 22
Aug 31, 22
PRE-K – GRADE 8 PRETORIA CAMPUS PRINCIPAL
START DATE: July 2023
CAMPUS: Pretoria Campus
SUPERVISOR: School Director
Inspire Learning and Build our Better World
The purpose of AISJ is to provide exceptional educational experiences in a diverse and nurturing environment in order to inspire learning and build our better world. We cultivate an inclusive community of learners so that we empower global citizens to fulfil their future purpose.
The American International School of Johannesburg fosters a positive culture and is committed to Community Principles that include:
- We are better when we act together.
- Our differences make us stronger.
- Every voice counts. Every voice matters.
- Every team needs individuals. Every individual needs a team.
The American International School of Johannesburg is committed to fostering justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout our school community, and we are continually furthering our practices and behaviors as we strive to live these ideals.
In collaboration with the School Director and the Leadership Team, the Pretoria School Principal’s role is to manage the division Pre-K through grade 8. The Principal is accountable for the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of the school’s educational programs. In exercising this responsibility, the Pretoria Principal is required to make important decisions regarding the program, budget, and staff that lie within their jurisdiction of the whole school’s plan. The management of the school’s programs requires the Pretoria Principal to analyze the needs of the students to ultimately transform the educational structures into the most promising teaching program with respect to the AISJ’s guiding statements and strategic direction of the school. The initial post is for three years with the potential for extension.
The American International School of Johannesburg (AISJ) is a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 12 co-educational school founded in 1982. It offers a standards-based curriculum that develops the understanding, knowledge, and skills base for all students to be successful. AISJ strives to offer a diverse and balanced program across the Four Pillars of Academics, Athletics, the Arts, and Service. The school is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in the United States. It is also a member of the Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE), the Association of International Schools in Africa (AISA), and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO).
The school comprises two campuses. The Pretoria Campus serves Pre-K through grade 8 and the nearby Johannesburg Campus serves Pre-K through grade 12. The Pretoria Campus works closely with the Johannesburg Elementary and Middle Schools while retaining its own intimate atmosphere.
The Pretoria Campus offers an American/international curriculum that is strongly inquiry and conceptually driven, leading to an IB Diploma Program and an American High School Diploma Program on the Johannesburg Campus. A highly committed staff of local and international teachers, administrators, and support staff make the school a warm and welcoming environment for students and parents alike. The Pretoria Campus currently has a faculty of 40 resulting in a staff/student ratio of less than 1:7; this includes a Principal and a full-time Counselor. With students from over 100 countries and no single nationality forming a majority, the school is truly diverse in culture, background, and perspectives. The school has a history of service-learning that is integrated into the curriculum across all grades and is a graduation requirement of the High School.
AISJ was founded in 1982 to serve the needs of the expatriate community in Johannesburg. In 1984, it settled in the current Johannesburg location in the northern suburbs set on almost 80 acres of undulating grounds overlooking greater Johannesburg. In August 2002, AISJ opened the Pretoria Campus to accommodate an increasing expatriate population in the northern city which is the diplomatic capital of South Africa. The school initially served 14 students in grades K-2 and was housed in a single building, but the campus experienced rapid growth of at least 10-15% a year and quickly outgrew the space. AISJ purchased and redeveloped a new facility in late 2010 to expand both classrooms and programs. The Pretoria Campus opened in August 2011, allowing greater definition of the elementary and middle school sections and broader elective and extra-curricular activities. The strategic vision for the campus is that it will remain Pre-K through grade 8 with a capacity of 300. While the school has grown up in many ways, the intimate, family feel of a neighborhood school remains its hallmark.
Pretoria is the diplomatic capital of South Africa and has the second-highest number of high commissions and embassies in the world, so it is not surprising that the school attracts a diverse array of students. Pretoria is known as the ‘Jacaranda City’ featuring many jacaranda tree-lined boulevards and stately government buildings. It is renowned for its pleasant and temperate year-round climate. The city is located midway between the ancient Magaliesberg hills to the northwest and the cosmopolitan metropolis of Johannesburg to the southeast. A short drive away lies the historic Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site, and the city is in close proximity to game parks and expansive recreational areas.
The picturesque Pretoria Campus is set on a spacious 5.9 acres with magnificently landscaped gardens, inviting the kind of school-without-walls learning opportunities for which the South African climate is perfect. The facilities include 25 classrooms, 2 science labs, a multipurpose center that offers both an indoor gymnasium and theater, a library media center, a maker space, a learning support center, an additional undercover assembly area with a stage, 2 swimming pools, a cafeteria, a dual-purpose tennis/basketball area, a synthetic soccer field, playground areas, a community garden, and a parent room.
Click here to take virtual tours of the Pretoria and Johannesburg Campuses
Current enrollment on both campuses is 900 students. The Pretoria Campus currently enrolls approximately 160 Pre-K through grade 5 students in the Elementary school and 80 students in the Middle school. The Pretoria Campus has a total capacity of 330 students and the maximum capacity of both campuses is approximately 1400.
Candidates wishing to learn more about the American International School of Johannesburg should visit www.aisj-jhb.com.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership or Master’s Degree with additional qualifications in administration/leadership
- Prior experience as a school administrator in both elementary and middle School
- A deep understanding of elementary and middle school students and their diverse needs
- Experience in multiple international schools
- Experience working with a diverse community and international stakeholders
- Experience and understanding of best practices in inclusion and English Language Learners
- Experience in the implementation and supervision of a conceptual, standards-based curriculum and best practices in literacy and math instruction
- Experience in curriculum and assessment development focusing on inquiry, integration, and differentiation practices
- Experience in leading effective professional growth, particularly with goal setting and coaching models
Based on input from the school community, the following were identified as key attributes of the person we are seeking:
- Innovative and visionary leader of teaching and learning
- Empathetic, sensitive, and supportive of the needs of diverse stakeholders
- Thoughtful and reflective, yet decisive
- Personable; connects well with people, listens, and builds community
- Internationally minded; thrives in the unique setting of a diverse international school
- Excellent communicator who is transparent, clear, caring, and inclusive
- Experienced educator who positively influences the growth and development of each individual
- Highly organized and effective leader who has demonstrated success
The Pretoria Principal will be part of the AISJ Leadership Team along with the School Director, divisional Principals, Head of Teaching and Learning, and the Director of Operations.
The Pretoria Principal will:
- Provide educational leadership and support throughout the division.
- Oversee program offerings and ensure appropriate scope and sequence of courses.
- Assist and support the School Director in the recruitment of appropriate staff.
- Assign, organize, and monitor staff for the greatest effect in accomplishing the purpose of the school.
- Ensure collaborative development of divisional, departmental, and individual professional goals.
- Continue the development of a strong culture of professional growth through dynamic support, supervision, and evaluation of elementary teachers and instructional support staff
- Promote a collaborative and cohesive learning culture.
- Ensure that all decisions and processes have student learning as the focus and goal.
- Facilitate the development of a school climate that appropriately meets the social and emotional needs of elementary students.
- Provide clear protocols and processes to ensure there is regular, quality communication between school and home.
- Ensure that student performance data is used to improve programs and student learning.
- Manage and further develop a vibrant and sustainable service learning program.
- Ensure appropriate balance, rigor, and support for academics, arts, activities, athletics, and service learning programs.
- Work with the Teaching & Learning team on curriculum development and ongoing professional learning.
- Promote school spirit among the elementary community.
- Manage student behavior and attendance.
- Oversee student admissions.
- Manage the elementary divisional budget and oversee the ordering and distribution of supplies and materials.
- Manage maintenance issues and make recommendations for the improvement of facilities.
- Work with parents in a dynamic, thoughtful, and proactive way.
- Work collaboratively with elementary team leaders, nurturing, mentoring, and supporting all elementary personnel.
- Oversee the successful transition of middle school students to high school in Johannesburg.
- Oversee the division’s Child Study Team.
- Focus on AISJ Principles and Guiding Statements as key aspects in leading the division.
- Ensure the division is aligned with the strategic direction of the whole school
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the School Director.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, a generous retirement contribution, and tuition benefits for K-12 school-age dependents.
In order to complete the AISJ application process, please click here and complete the electronic form. Information captured on this form will be stored in a secure database. Please take note all couples need to submit individual applications.
Interested candidates should send an application no later than August 31, 2022. Candidates should note that if an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, AISJ reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline mentioned above and to bring the search to a close. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
In addition to applying through the AISJ website (linked above), candidates need to email the information requested below as a single document in PDF format to email@example.com. The subject line should read Pretoria Campus Application and the applicant’s name. The application should include:
- Cover letter of application
- Resume or CV
- Educational philosophy
- A list of references (at least three) - the list should include their names, positions, current email addresses, and the current Superintendent/Director of your present school.
It is currently the intention that short-listed candidates will be invited for interviews in Pretoria in October. The school hopes to make an appointment by mid to late October.
AISJ maintains strong child protection policies & procedures, this ensures that our students can pursue their education in a safe, secure, and caring environment. All faculty and staff are required to undergo criminal background checks, attend annual training sessions and sign a safeguarding agreement.