< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Oct 6, 20
Nov 1, 20
The Canadian International School of Singapore seeks a
Primary School Principal for the Lakeside Campus
For the 2021-2022 school year
Closing Date for Applications: November 1, 2020
Starting Date: July 19, 2021
CIS will provide extraordinary learning opportunities for the globally connected student. A nurturing environment, an international curriculum, and a culturally diverse community will facilitate exceptional achievements. Together we will take action to make the world a better place.
Engage Enlighten Empower
Collaboration Curiosity Creativity
Generosity Respect Excellence
Who Are We Looking For?
You are a visionary, collaborative educational leader who has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the teaching and learning principles articulated in both the International Baccalaureate programme and CIS vision, mission and values throughout your career. You bring a relentless focus to improving teaching and learning and are an expert in using data to analyze student achievement and develop appropriate programs, strategies and interventions.
About Our School
The Canadian International School of Singapore (CIS) was founded in 1989. It is a continuum IB school serving a student population of approximately 3,100 students of over 70 nationalities Nursery (age 2) to Grade 12. The Lakeside Primary campus (Nursery – Grade 6) serves a student population of approximately 1,400 students.
The school consists of two campuses. Our Lakeside Campus in the Jurong West area of Singapore was opened in 2007 and sits on 43,000 sq. m. of land. The Lakeside campus boasts impressive facilities including large classrooms connected to learning pods, a 50 m outdoor pool, a 500 seat auditorium and library. Lakeside Primary currently serves a student population of approximately 1,400 students.
The Lakeside campus has a unique layout which creates distinct communities that house students from Nursery through to Grade 12. We combine state-of-the-art classrooms, learning pods, and other learning spaces to support our inquiry-based approach and encourage a strong sense of community.
About the Position
The Lakeside Primary School Principal reports to the Deputy Head of School and directs the continuous development and refinement of teaching and learning from Nursery to Grade 6. The Principal oversees all aspects of the instructional programme, promotes the implementation of best practice in teaching and learning and ensures compliance with IB authorization, WASC accreditation and CPE (Council for Private Education) requirements.
- Sitting on the Senior Administrative Council and participating positively in a consultative capacity for all school governance
- Assisting the Head of School in the development and implementation of the school’s educational policies within the framework of governance established by the Head of School and Directors
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing a strategic plan for the Primary community based on the school’s overall policies and direction
- Liaising with the IB PYP Coordinators regarding International Baccalaureate matters to ensure that all deadlines and requirements are met
- Advising the Head of School in the Security and Safety procedures as dictated by the School’s policy
- Establishing and maintaining effective communication between all stakeholders in the school
- Facilitating positive and productive relationships between parents, teachers, students, and the public
- In coordination with the DHOS, plans staff development workshops, private sessions, or meetings aimed at improving the curricular programmes
- Articulating the PYP into the MYP
- Supervising primary school teachers to ensure a guaranteed and viable curricula is implemented with fidelity
- Preparing a Primary community calendar for the upcoming school year
- Preparing the teacher, subject, room, and student schedule for the Primary community
- Ensuring that supplies and resources are available to support student learning within the Primary community
- Tracking of individual students regarding academic, behavioral, and emotional well-being
- Communicating student achievements to parents (reporting)
- Ensuring that the moral tone of the Primary community is upheld
- Attending PTA meetings and reporting on issues, events, and celebrations
- Corresponding with parents regarding student, teacher, facility, or school curricular issues
- Liaising or mediating between teachers and parents where required
- Advising the Head of School of future staff vacancies
- Consulting with the Head of School during the hiring process
- Facilitating the orientation of new staff to the policies of the school
- Managing on-going teacher appraisal
- Providing the vision for the professional development based on the needs of the school and individual teachers
- Reporting of teacher issues to the Head of School
- Maintaining a strong professional relationship with the community and related educational providers (IB)
- Maintaining a strong working relationship with the school’s neighbors
Compliance with External Agencies
- Work with the Deputy Head of School to ensure compliance with all Council for Private Education requirements and procedures
- Work with school administrators and programme coordinators to ensure compliance with all IB programme authorization and evaluation requirements
- Support the self-study process (when applicable)
- Ensure the development and submission of final copies of all reports required for this compliance
- In collaboration with school administrators and coordinators oversee the implementation of the Action Plans that are developed as a result of the Self-Study process
- Ensure compliance with authorization and accreditation authorities
- Complete aspects annual internal review as requested
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the school Strategic Plan and ensure that divisional work plan reinforces the goals set in the Strategic Plan
- Serve as a member of the Senior Administration Team, Academic Board and Examination Board
- In collaboration with the school psychologist, supports the Student Support Services Team
- Collaborate with the IB PYP, Literacy and Numeracy Coordinators as they carry out their responsibilities
- Teaching Certification
- Master’s or related leadership degree in a related field
- Significant experience in senior leadership positions in an educational setting
- Minimum of 10 years of successful classroom teaching experience
- Exceptional leadership, communication, collaboration, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- An effective communicator, having the capacity to listen, empathize, and connect, as well as teach, present, and motivate
- A self-directed leader with a depth of knowledge in IB curriculum, instruction, and learning who motivates intellectual growth
- A visionary leader focused on the vision of what the school can be
- A facilitator building strong and productive relationships with students, parents, teachers, and the community
- A change master - flexible, futuristic, and realistic; one who can motivate and manage change
- A culture builder - communicating and modeling a strong and viable vision
- An activator with motivation, energy, and enthusiasm to spare
- A producer who is results oriented with a strong sense of accountability in building intellectual development and academic achievement
- A character builder who models values, words, and deeds that are marked by trustworthiness, respect, and integrity
- An active contributor whose priority is making contributions to the success of others
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to send the information listed below as a single pdf file attachment to:
Mr. Pete Corcoran and Dr. Heather Beck
Head of School Deputy Head of School
The application package must include:
- A one-page letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in applying for this position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages and including a recent picture
- A one-page statement outlining your educational philosophy and leadership style
- A one-page list of references with the business, home phone numbers and email addresses of three school administrators with whom you have worked
Additional information about our school can be found on the school’s web site at www.cis.edu.sg
Initial closing date for applications – November 1, 2020
CIS reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable. For this reason, it would be important for interested applicants to submit an expression of interest in the position at the earliest possible opportunity.
The Canadian International School of Singapore is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all who work and learn with us. All applicants to the school must be willing to undergo rigorous child protection screening, including checks with past employers and Disclosure and Barring service checks.