< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Dec 6, 19
Jan 31, 20
The International School of Lausanne (ISL) is a leading not-for-profit, English language, International Baccalaureate (IB) World School set in the French speaking part of Switzerland. Our school is committed to excellence in education. We strive to recognise the unique potential of each student, and to equip them to play an active and responsible role in a complex, multicultural world. The school employs approximately 250 members of staff on its campus where we welcome approximately 950 students from over 60 nationalities, from 3 to 18 years of age.
We are seeking to appoint an inspirational, passionate and experienced
Primary School Principal
whose vision, commitment, and enthusiasm for teaching and learning will guide our Primary and Early Childhood sections in maintaining and developing a strong intellectual, physical, social and emotional foundation for our students. The Primary School Principal provides leadership in all areas of curriculum and welfare of the Primary School in conjunction with the Director and the Primary Educational Leadership Team.
- Together with the Director and the Primary Educational Leadership Team, set priorities and develop an action plan for the Primary School and the Early Childhood that is consistent with the strategy, the philosophy and the mission of the School
- Define the responsibilities of Primary School and Early Childhood staff, allocate resources, schedule classes and events in accordance with the School’s mission and values
- Ensure that the philosophy of the School and the Primary Years Programme (PYP) is reflected in all activities of the Primary School and Early Childhood
- Develop an annual academic budget; oversee and monitor expenditures
- Ensure that the safety and welfare of students are at the center of all action and all decision making
- Oversee the development and implementation of policies, programmes, and activities that promote the well-being of all students
- Oversee the admission and placement of students
- Oversee on-going curriculum review, development and implementation; ensure cohesion and consistency in programmes
- Set and communicate high standards for curricular/instructional quality and student achievement
- Communicate regularly the School’s strategy and the priorities to the staff, the students, the parents, and the wider School community
- Coordinate parent information and help parents achieve a clear understanding of the nature of the School’s programme of study
- Oversee the assessment and reporting procedures
- Regularly observe and evaluate staff members; assist in the implementation of effective teaching strategies to promote student learning
- Identify staff training needs and development opportunities in collaboration with the leadership team
- A learning-focused leader with a passion for primary education who is able to share an inspiring vision, a commitment to excellence in education and a continuous improvement mindset
- Knowledge of the PYP programme and a minimum of 3 years of experience in a significant leadership role
- Experience in managing enrolment, staffing, scheduling and budget
- Proven track record of effective leadership by creating a collaborative working environment
- Ability to personally model our core values: honesty, approachability, respect, openness, enthusiasm, care and concern for others
- Ability to think strategically with strong organisational skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, dynamism and a sense of humour
- International work experience with an awareness and appreciation of cultural differences
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Proficiency in English. The ability to communicate effectively in French would be an asset
- Excellent ICT skills and a knowledge of their effective use to support pedagogy
- Commitment to self-reflection and professional development
This position is open for men and women. Due to work permit limitations, preference will be given to candidates having a Swiss/EU citizenship or holding a Swiss work permit.
Qualified and interested candidates should apply here with the following documents:
- cover letter
- CV/ résumé
- statement of educational philosophy
- copies of diplomasdetails of three professional referees
Closing date: 31 January 2020
We care for children
The International School of Lausanne is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expects all of its staff to share this commitment. All new employees are required to undertake a security clearance, which includes providing criminal records reports.
MEMBERS OF LEADERSHIP TEAM (PRIMARY SCHOOL)
DIRECTOR – FRAZER CAIRNS
Frazer started his career as a management consultant and journalist after graduating from the University of York in the UK. He retrained as a science teacher and subsequently taught in the UK, Indonesia, Singapore and Switzerland. Having worked in international schools for most of his career, Frazer is particularly interested in the way language is used in multilingual educational settings. He continues to study and contribute to research in this area, holding both Masters and Doctorate degrees in education.
PRIMARY SCHOOL ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL (IB PYP COORDINATOR) – ERIN THRELFALL
Erin is an American citizen who, as a child, moved every 2-3 years. In her lifetime, she has lived in nine US cities and ten countries, and has taught in Ghana, South Korea, Togo, Bali, NY and now Switzerland. Erin has held many roles within a school setting including a k-12 teacher of theater arts, primary school classroom teacher, service learning coordinator, and PYP coordinator. In addition to being a school consultant and workshop leader with the IB, she leads workshops on service learning and teaching for happiness & well-being.
PRIMARY SCHOOL ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL (WELL-BEING COORDINATOR) – JILL WEAVER
Jill’s personal learning journey began in the United States with an initial interest in photography and art history leading to a degree in fine arts. A Masters in Education with a specialization in reading followed. This further developed the foundation for her professional career in teaching and learning within three continents. Over the past 19 years, Jill has been an art teacher for early childhood, primary and secondary, a learning support teacher in secondary and a primary classroom teacher.
LAUSANNE AND SWITZERLAND
Located in the centre of Europe, Switzerland is a small country of eight million inhabitants. With four official languages
and a federal system where each Canton has great political autonomy, each region of Switzerland is quite different. Lausanne is situated in the French-speaking part of the country, in the Canton of Vaud. Lausanne’s population numbers 300,000 inhabitants, approximately 20 percent of whom are expatriates. Lausanne and the country as a whole rank high in polls as desirable locations for expatriates to call home. Switzerland is recognised as having a very high standard of living, and offering a healthy life style, many cultural amenities, high standards of medical care,
and a stable job market. Lausanne is a lively cosmopolitan city with many cultural and sporting events throughout the year. The city is superbly located with magnificent views across the lake and with Geneva airport 45 minutes away.