< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Cory Carson
Dec 17, 14
Jan 10, 15
Principal – High School
- effective August 2015
Qatar Academy is seeking an exceptional educational leader for its High School to commence August 1, 2015.
The Qatar Academy community is seeking applications from individuals motivated to advance best practices and foster teaching excellence. At Qatar Academy, the High School Principal will be responsible for the management of the High School. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the High School Principal will be a key driver in the refinement and implementation of the school’s strategic vision. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included at the end of this document.
Qatar Academy (QA) is one of the Middle East’s premier educational institutions. QA is an International Baccalaureate World School also accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the Council of International Schools. The school offers academic excellence in the IB’s PYP, MYP and DP programs based on the principle that education involves the development of a student’s cognitive, physical, social, moral and affective capabilities.
A dynamic curriculum and inquiry-based pedagogy, combined with community and service programs, experiential education, and extra-curricular activities, enable students to participate in and reflect on the educational journey from Early Years through Grade 12. Students are a respected part of the learning process shared with parents and teachers. They are encouraged to be risk takers, ask questions and confidently seek answers.
Qatar Academy does not just educate. Qatar Academy prepares students for work, life and leadership in their own communities and society at large.
The High School curriculum is developed within the frameworks of the IB MYP and DP programs.
In September 2014, the existing Senior School divided into separate but connected Middle and High Schools located within the same building. The High School division is comprised of Grades 9-12. The High School has an excellent facility with a highly qualified faculty. The High School caters for a large percentage of children from the host country of Qatar. For grades 9 and 10, the High School runs single-gender classes for the majority of the school day, within an overall coeducational environment. Lunch, after-school activities, Arts, Design and Language Acquisition classes continue to be mixed gender. Grades 11 and 12 are coeducational.
A highly committed staff of local and international teachers, administrators, and support staff make the school a warm and welcoming environment for students and parents alike.
Qatar Academy was founded in 1998 to provide quality international education opportunities to the local community. The school is part of the Qatar Foundation, a vision of Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. The school has had rapid growth over the last several years and the Early Years to Grade 12 classes are currently close to capacity.
Doha is the capital of Qatar – a sovereign Arab state – located in Western Asia and occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Arabian Gulf. The Al Thani family has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century. Formerly a British protectorate noted mainly for pearling, it became independent in 1971, and has become one of the region's wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar . The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science and research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of world-renowned international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
Current enrolment for Qatar Academy is 1790 from Early Years to Grade 12. A large percentage of the student population is Qatari.
Qatar Academy offers a rigorous program encompassing an international English-medium education, strong Arabic and Islamic Studies. The QA community supports and challenges students to be critical thinkers, and active and contributing members of society, through learning experiences serving the needs, interests and learning styles of each student.
Empowering students to achieve academic excellence and be responsible citizens.
In collaboration with the School Director and the Educational Leadership Teams, the High School Principal’s role is to manage the High School Division. The Principal is accountable for the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of the High School educational programs. In exercising this responsibility, the High School Principal is required to make decisions regarding the programs, budget, and staff that lie within his/her jurisdiction. The High School Principal analyzes the needs of the student body, and then effectively deploys all resources at hand to ensure a sustainable model which meets those needs, within the parameters of the strategic vision, mission, and core values of Qatar Academy.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership or Master’s Degree with additional qualification in administration/leadership. A High School background is preferred.
- Relevant teaching and leadership experience, preferably within the IB MYP and DP Programs.
- Experience working with High School age groups.
- Extensive experience in leading effective change and growth.
- Experience in curriculum and assessment development in the High School years, preferably within the IB MYP and DP Programs.
- A deep understanding of the diverse needs of children in the High School years.
- Understanding and experience of best practice in High School education.
- Understanding and experience in integrating technology within curriculum to improve student achievement.
The following were identified as key attributes in the person we are seeking:
- Community builder
The High School Principal will be part of the QA administration team.
The High School Principal will:
- Provide educational leadership and support
- Assist and support the School Director in the recruitment of High School staff
- Assign, organize and monitor staff
- Promote a strong culture of professional growth through dynamic support, supervision and evaluation of teachers and instructional support staff
- Promote a collaborative and cohesive learning culture
- Ensure that all decisions and processes are designed to improve student learning
- Ensure the High School is aligned with CIS and NEASC accreditation requirements
- Ensure the High School is aligned with IB MYP and DP requirements
- Provide clear protocols and processes to ensure regular, quality communication between home and school
- Work with the teachers on curriculum development and professional development planning
- Manage student behavior and attendance
- Oversee student admission in conjunction with the QA Admissions Office
- Manage maintenance issues and make recommendations for the improvement of facilities
- Manage the High School budgets and oversee ordering and distribution of supplies and materials
- Work with parents in a dynamic, thoughtful and proactive way
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the School Director
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly completive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
Candidates wishing to learn more about QA can visit our website at www.qataracademy.edu.qa
Qatar Academy has appointed Search Associates to act as consultant in the search for a Principal of the High School, with Ralph Jahr and Bridget McNamer being the lead consultants. The deadline for application is January 10, 2015. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Qatar Academy reserves the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned above, if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should send the information requested below as a single PDF file of 4MB or less attached to an email to email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org . Application materials should include:
- Cover letter of application
- Resume, generally not more than two pages
- Photograph (requested but not required)
- Educational leadership philosophy statement
- A list of references (at least three) - the list should include their names, positions, current email addresses, and the current Superintendent/Director of your present school
- Up to three open letters of reference may also be submitted
- Short-listed candidates will be contacted and interviewed in January 2015. The school plans to select the new principal by the end of January 2015.
Ralph Jahr, Ph.D. Tel: 609-759-0431
2008 Cove Lane Email: email@example.com
Roseville, CA 95747-8835 (USA) Skype – ralph.h.jahr
Bridget McNamer Tel: 415-290-6050
313 Bell Lane Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mill Valley, CA 94941 (USA) Skype - bridgetmcnamer