< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 29, 20
Oct 30, 20
…Because you love the buzz of school life and the potential to make a profound impact on the lives of your students.
…Because you are an enthusiastic, creative, and collaborative self-starter.
…Because you love school as a community hub and you are unapologetically passionate about supporting students in their personal and academic growth.
The Assistant Principal (AP) is a new position within the BIS Secondary School. The AP will be a champion of student wellbeing, who will effectively manage and innovatively grow our pastoral programs. We are looking for a colleague who embodies our mission and vision statements, thrives from working in diverse teams, and enjoys a good laugh.
About Bonn International School (BIS):
BIS is a vibrant learning community of 700 students and 100 faculty members, a truly international community embracing 80 nationalities and 40 mother tongue languages. Established 24 years ago, our school is a non-profit organization.
We are an experienced and highly-regarded International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, implementing the IB Primary Years Programme, IB Middle Years Programme and the IB Diploma Programme. To assure the quality of our programs and that we live our mission statement, BIS is accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organization, Council of International Schools and New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Faculty and staff at BIS are a healthy mix of experienced colleagues and those newer to teaching. We have many staff who permanently reside in Bonn and many others who are expatriates to Germany. We value forward-thinking, creative educators, who empower students to achieve in all areas of school life. Many of our faculty lead an extracurricular activity as a complimentary path to develop meaningful dialogue with students and create other arenas for student development and achievement.
BIS benefits greatly from the quality of life and international flair of Bonn, our affordable host city in the heart of Europe. Bonn is a university town, base for the United Nations in Germany, birthplace of Ludwig van Beethoven and home to some of the country's best museums. Our campus is located in a green, residential neighborhood on the banks of the Rhine River and next to the city's largest park. Our three school buildings are light-filled, well-equipped, and purpose-built, with beautiful spaces to teach, be quiet, and work collaboratively.
Core Beliefs: We believe that:
- Every person has intrinsic worth and unique potential.
- Integrity and mutual respect are essential for building trust in any relationship.
- Inspiration, enthusiasm and perseverance are necessary for achieving one’s best.
- Learning is a partnership amongst families, students, educators and society.
- Diversity opens minds, widens horizons and enriches lives.
- Life-long learning is essential for individuals to thrive in a changing world.
- Leadership, teamwork, cooperation and respect are essential for any organization to excel.
- People are responsible for, and learn from, their choices and actions.
- We all have a responsibility to support and contribute to the wellbeing of others.
- The courage to embrace change provides opportunities to improve.
For further information about BIS, please visit our website: www.bonn-is.de.
We are committed to hiring the best candidate to fill the role of Assistant Principal and believe that finding the right personality fit is preferable to the most impressive CV.
That said, our preferred candidate might have the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Above all else, the new AP must be passionate about working with students and fully committed to the academic and personal betterment of each child at BIS.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Education, Educational Leadership, Counseling, or Curriculum/Instruction.
- Qualified experience and proven track record as a secondary school teacher.
- Educational leadership experience (assistant principal, head of department, subject leader, grade-level leader, committee chair, team leader, or other relevant experience).
- Significant experience in an international school setting and knowledge of both the DP and MYP International Baccalaureate programs.
- Excellent knowledge of the teaching and learning process and the ability to lead/support teachers in their professional growth.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and provide excellent pastoral programs throughout a Secondary School setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills which allow the candidate to work effectively with students and peers.
- Intercultural understanding and heart-felt respect for different perspectives, different belief systems and different abilities to learn.
- Love of a good laugh, camaraderie, and ability to not take one's self too seriously.
Detailed Role Profile
The AP at BIS aids the Secondary School Principal in organizing and fostering a positive, safe, and inclusive environment that is conducive to best meeting the needs of every student in the Secondary School community.
The AP is a pastoral leader of the Secondary School, who oversees and unifies programs such as the Student Support Team, Advisory Classes, and Wellbeing Curriculum with the purpose of providing exceptional care for each student.
The AP is an educational leader, who supports the Principal in leading the faculty in the collaborative focus on student wellbeing and learning. The AP is part of the Secondary Leadership Team, responsible for the development and implementation of consistent systems to promote articulated data-informed personal and academic student growth throughout the school.
Culture, Community, and Wellbeing
- Monitor pastoral progress closely, through contact with various stakeholders in the school.
- Implement and maintain the school’s behavior philosophy, applying positive feedback and disciplinary consequences as appropriate, in order to nurture desired values and behaviors.
- Encourage a positive atmosphere in the school.
- Proactively ensure that high standards of conduct are promoted and maintained.
- Purposefully guide and develop our secondary school advisory program.
- Manage the ongoing administration of the Student Support Team (SST).
- Align the school’s support programs, health curriculum, advisory program, and counsellor program to ensure BIS is consistently providing exceptional care for all students.
- Take a lead on matters related to child safeguarding.
- Oversee and develop, in consultation with the Principal, an appropriate culture of achievement, support, and recognition of students at the school.
- Participate and be present of various student events throughout the year.
- Coordinate the on-going recognition and celebration of student achievement and effort.
- Lead and manage issues relating to the welfare of students.
- Work with the counselling team to resolve any welfare issues.
- Lead school staff and parents to ensure regular attendance and punctuality of all students.
- Support staff with issues relating to classroom management.
- There is a potential the Secondary Assistant Principal may be asked to teach, should the appropriate and mutually beneficial need arise.
- Liaise with the Secondary Leadership Team to ensure the smooth running of the school.
- Assist the Head of School Services and Operations with leave requests and cover teacher management to ensure limited impact on learning.
- Support the Secondary School Administrative Assistant in the creation and management of the teacher duty schedule.
- Serve as an active liaison and problem solver with all stakeholders throughout the school organization.
- Coordinate and manage the daily Student Bulletin.
- Serve as acting principal in the absence of the Secondary School Principal.
- Assist curriculum leaders by meeting with subject and grade level teams to help with coordination and planning of curriculum.
Human Resources and Supervision
- Nurture strong personal relationships with colleagues and invest in their success.
- Assist with recruiting, screening, hiring, and training of the school’s professional staff.
- Assist the Head of School Services and Operations with the development of the secondary school yearly timetable.
- Work with the leadership team to determine professional development needs within the Secondary School.
- Work with other Curricular Leaders to recommend a programme of in-service training and support for teachers.
- Serve as a Professional Growth Framework Supervisor, helping tenured teachers achieve personal growth goals.
- Assist the school Leadership Team with performance evaluations of Secondary School teachers.
- Provide appropriate feedback to develop educators in the school.
Salary and Benefits: The salary will be competitive and commensurate with the chosen candidate’s experience and qualifications. The employment contract will initially be for two-year period with a 6 month probationary period. Relocation assistance, reimbursement of expenses, interest-free loans are available during the transition to BIS. Dependent children are, of course, welcome as students, their school fees are excused. Care within the German comprehensive health system, although not technically a benefit, is regarded as some of the best in the world.
Please compile the following documents into a single PDF with your first and last name as the filename:
- Cover letter (1 page)
- CV (max 2 pages)
- Philosophy of Educational Leadership (max 1 page)
- A link to a 2- to 3-minute video introduction (no more!) that shares your interest in the position and explains what you feel you can contribute to BIS. Please upload your video to YouTube, Vimeo, your Google Drive, or another external hosting site, set permissions appropriately, and share the link in your letter of application.
- Contact details of three references. One should be your current Head of School.
Send complete applications to the firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “AP Application” as the subject line (example “Jane Smith AP Application”). Only those who make it to the first round of interviews will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 30 October 2020. BIS reserves the right to close the application window if a suitable candidate is found before the deadline.
Planned Interview Schedule: 1st round of interviews: Week of 9 November via Google Meet. 2nd round of interviews: Week of 16 November via Google Meet.
For a complete job description, please visit https://www.bonn-is.de/about-bis/work-bis/open-positions