< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Apr 11, 19
Apr 30, 19
STONEHILL INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, BANGALORE
SECONDARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Starting August 2019
Stonehill International School is seeking a new Secondary Principal for August 2019. This is a wonderful opportunity to work in a happy, supportive environment with fantastic students where the focus is on learning. We are seeking an enthusiastic educational leader and lifelong learner who is passionate about creating inclusive and engaging learning environments that cater to the needs of all student. Our school's purpose, direction and decision-making are guided by clear guiding statements that have been developed collaboratively by members of our learning community.
We are an internationally-minded community of spirited learners, dedicated to the development of knowledgeable, caring, confident and responsible global citizens.
Our mission is to provide stimulating, engaging academics integrated with enhanced opportunities for technological innovation, sports and the arts.
The School was established in 2008 and is an inclusive, coeducational day and boarding school which offers an educational programme for students aged from three to eighteen. English is the medium of instruction throughout. The school is operated by the Stonehill Education Foundation, and is a non-profit company. The school is accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). It is authorised to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), and the Diploma Programme (DP). The school is located North of Bangalore on the way to the new international airport. It is a modern and spacious two-story facility purpose-built on 34 acres of land. Students at Stonehill come from a wide variety of backgrounds. There are currently around 550 students enrolled at the school. Some are long-term residents of Bangalore. Others are the children of expatriates who are working in India on fixed-term contracts. At any one time, we have students of more than thirty-five nationalities. The teaching staff are equally diverse, currently coming from Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, New Zealand, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, the UK, and the USA.
We are looking for a person who has...
- a passion for learning
- a depth of pedagogical understanding
- the ability to build positive relationships with all members of the learning community
- a high level of literacy in the use of technology to enhance and redefine learning
- experience with inquiry-based teaching and learning
- a belief in inclusive education
- experience in teacher appraisal and evaluation
- experience with school accreditation and evaluation
- a good understanding of school-wide formative and summative assessment
- experience living and working outside their own culture
- an interest in being in India and the ability to establish meaningful links with the local community
- knowledge and experience of the MYP and DP
- the ability to lead by example
- a willingness to spend less time in the office and more time in classrooms talking to students and teachers about learning
- the ability to work with a diverse population of staff, students and parents
- patience, flexibility, humility and the ability to see the funny side of things
The Secondary Principal is appointed by and reports to the Head of School and is the senior administrator in the Secondary School. The Secondary Principal is a member of the Educational Leadership Team of the whole school.
As the educational leader and operational head of the Secondary School, it is expected that the Secondary Principal will:
- demonstrate an explicit commitment to the mission, vision, values and beliefs of the school as determined by the Governing Council;
- exhibit a broad and deep understanding of school administration and management in an international context;
- keep abreast of educational developments and research;
- communicate effectively with all school constituencies;
- serve as an effective ambassador for the school both locally and internationally;
- maintain an effective working relationship with the Head of School and other members of the Educational Leadership Team based on mutual respect, trust and confidentiality;
- exhibit and model a respect for the culture, languages, beliefs and people of the school’s host country, India.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Secondary Principal include:
- ensuring the safety and wellbeing of students and school employees;
- assisting the Head of School with the recruiting, induction and managing of teaching and non-teaching staff;
- leading the teacher appraisal and evaluation process in the Secondary School;
- ensuring that all professional staff receive necessary and appropriate professional development through the scheduled PD days, the invitation of suitably qualified trainers, and PD opportunities offered by the IB and other agencies;
- ensuring that the organisational systems throughout the Secondary School are effective and appropriate;
- in cooperation with the admissions office and learning support teachers, ensuring that students entering the Secondary School are assessed prior to admission;
- the timely preparation of teaching schedules and duty rotas;
- arranging appropriate substitution for absent teachers;
- the scheduling, planning and managing of parent-teacher conferences, back-to-school nights, and other such routine and extraordinary events;
- the preparation, production and distribution of written reports to parents according to the school’s published calendar;
- dealing with disciplinary issues in the Secondary School;
- communicating regularly with parents both in writing and in person;
- liaising with the Head of School, the MYP and DP Coordinator, and subject teachers to ensure that the curriculum and programmes used in the Secondary School meet the educational and developmental needs of all students;
- in cooperation with programme coordinators, ensuring that appropriate guides, handbooks and course outlines are published and revised for parents, students and other relevant constituencies;
- in cooperation with the Primary Principal and After School Activities Coordinator, ensuring that the school offers a broad, comprehensive and relevant programme of after school activities;
- in cooperation with the other members of the Educational Leadership Team, taking all necessary measures to maintain the school’s accreditation status and its authorisation to offer the IB MYP and DP;
- in close cooperation with the Head of School and Business Manager, the preparation and application of the annual financial budget;
- bringing to the attention of the Head of School developments, issues and opportunities likely to have an impact on the successful operation of the Secondary School;
- representing the school at educational and other appropriate events.
The package for the Secondary Principal is commensurate with experience and competitive for the region. It includes:
- Furnished accommodation
- Utilities allowance
- Car with assigned driver
- Yearly flights for Principal and dependents
- School fees for up to two dependents
- International medical insurance
- Shipping allowance
Interested candidates are asked to submit the following documents, compiled into one PDF document:
- Letter of application explaining how your skills and experience make you well-suited to the role (two pages maximum)
- Statement of Educational Philosophy and Leadership style (one page maximum)
- Hyperlinks to online presence in any professional capacity e.g. websites, blogs, twitter, LinkedIn
- Curriculum Vitae / Résumé (no more than two pages with recent photo included)
- Contact details for at least three referees, one of whom must be your current Head of School
Applications will be reviewed as they arrive. The deadline for applications is Tuesday 30th April, 2019. The School reserves the right to conclude the search prior to this date if the right candidate is found. Applications should be addressed to the Search Committee and emailed to email@example.com
You can find out more about this position by visiting our recruitment website.
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.