< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Sep 18, 20
Oct 30, 20
Secondary SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
EFFECTIVE AUGUST 2021
Deadline for submission: October 30, 2020
Xiamen International School's mission is to inspire and develop confident, knowledgeable students who enjoy life-long learning, demonstrate global awareness and contribute compassionately to the world around them.
Families with children attending XIS come from the international community living in Xiamen as well as those families coming from the Chinese regions of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. Approximately 48% of school families are either Taiwanese or Korean. Of the remaining 52%, about 28% of the student body represents other Asian countries and the other 20% are from regions outside of Asia. Most parents are either employed by large, multi-national corporations, or are involved in other commercial ventures. The school enjoys positive parent support.
CAMPUS AND FACILITIES
The school’s campus is located in a growing residential area outside the central city of Xiamen. It has a purpose-built structure that includes ample classrooms, a soccer pitch, an indoor gymnasium, outdoor basketball courts, a well-appointed library, outdoor playing fields, maker spaces, design and computer labs, three science labs, a cafeteria, an indoor swimming pool, and two art studios.
Prior to the global pandemic of 2020, the total enrollment at Xiamen International was over 560 students of which 170 were enrolled in the secondary school. The school was growing at an annual rate of approximately 5-8%. XIS's graduates attend reputable universities worldwide. Maximum class-size caps are 24 students at the secondary level and 26 students at the elementary level. Current enrollment at XIS is 444 of which 157 are in secondary school. For the 2020-2021 school year, XIS is operating a blended learning program to accommodate overseas teachers and students who are stranded overseas.
Xiamen International School is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School administering the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), and the Diploma Programme (DP). The early childhood division (PreK to Grade 1) is play-based balanced with building knowledge and skills.
FACULTY AND ADMINISTRATION
Xiamen International School includes 65 faculty members including four (4) administrators (Headmaster, Deputy Headmaster, and Secondary and Elementary School Principals). The faculty is predominately from the United States, but also includes faculty from China, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other countries. All staff members hold at least a Bachelor's or Master's degree. The school also has office staff, teacher assistants, bus drivers, security guards, custodians, and electricians.
The Board of Directors is self-perpetuating and consists of seven (7) members. Five (5) are appointed and up to two (2) are parents of currently enrolled students who serve for two-year terms of office. The Board meets four times a year. The principals report at the first and last Board meetings. The Headmaster normally attends each meeting.
The school year consists of 191 teacher contract days of which there are at least 180 instructional days. School begins for students the second week in August and ends the second week in June. There are two two-week breaks for Winter/Christmas and Chinese New Year and one-week breaks in the Fall and Spring.
The Secondary School Principal is the chief administrator and instructional leader of the middle and high school divisions (grades 6-12). The person in this position develops and implements policies, programs, curriculum and instruction, and activities that promote the educational development of each student and the professional development of each staff member.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES
The secondary school principal . . .
- Believes in, acts according to, and effectively demonstrates a clearly defined philosophy of learning based on the premise that all children can learn.
- Communicates high expectations of self, faculty, and students and effectively inspires and empowers all to reach them.
- Uses his/her extensive knowledge of curriculum and his/her personal repertoire of effective instructional practices to guide the faculty in curriculum development and improvement of instruction.
- In consultation with the Headmaster, defines the responsibilities of faculty and staff, allocates resources, schedules classes, special activities, and events, and institutes program improvements in accordance with XIS's mission, core expectations, and annual goals.
- Monitors student performance and facilitates planned instructional change based on student achievement data within a cycle of continuous improvement.
- Monitors and evaluates teacher performance and initiates effective professional growth processes through differentiated supervision.
- Communicates with colleagues, students, and parents effectively.
- Actively ensures that classroom teachers, specialists, and counselors work in concert to monitor and meet all students' academic and social needs.
- Encourages implementation of innovative teaching practices consistent with XIS's instructional philosophy and curriculum.
- Continuously develops her/himself as a principal through thoughtfully planned formal professional development activities, readings and study, and networking with colleagues and peers.
REQUIREMENTS (IN ORDER TO ACQUIRE AND MAINTAIN A WORK VISA)
- A graduate degree in education or related field
- Below the mandatory retirement age (age 60)
- Ability to obtain and produce school, birth, marriage records, and clear police records from past postings
- A proven record of outstanding educational leadership in a senior or mid-level position
- Knowledge or understanding of the IB MYP and the Diploma Programme
- Proven record of working harmoniously with a board, administration, faculty, staff, parents, students and school community
- Superb writing and speaking acumen
- International experience
- Excellent academic record
- At least five years as a teacher in a North American independent school or international school plus 3-5 years in a leadership role
- Strong work ethic and the ability to successfully balance a complex institution while providing leadership for a host of academic, artistic, athletic, and service learning programs
- Principal's certification
- Knowledge of Mandarin and/or experience working in China (or Asia)
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES / CHARACTERISTICS
- A good listener with a collaborative administrative style
- Honesty, integrity, compassion, and a good sense of humor
- Ability to generate trust with all constituent groups
- Strong organizational and proven problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance the diverse perspectives of various stakeholders
- Cultural openness, sensitivity, and understanding
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary will be competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The Secondary School Principal's package includes:
- Competitive remuneration package
- Housing allowance
- Retirement benefits
- Health insurance
- Shipping allowance
- Travel allowance
- Tuition for dependent children
- Professional development opportunities
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING
Candidates who wish to apply should submit the information requested below in the form and manner requested:
Please note that all materials must be scanned into a single .pdf attachment of 4MB or less and sent to Deron Marvin: SSPrincipalPosition@xischina.com.cn by October 30, 2020.
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the XIS Secondary School Principal position
- A current CV
- A one or two-page statement responding to the “Required Qualifications” listed above
- A one-page list of at least three direct supervisor references with current phone numbers and email addresses
- A maximum of four letters of reference (scanned at low resolution) which may already be in your possession