< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Simon Parker
Sep 16, 14
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF BEIJING
We invite applications for the role of Director of Student Activities for the 2015-2016 School Year.
At ISB we believe that a strong co-curricular program can, as part of the school's overall curriculum, help prepare students to both enjoy and be successful in life. Encompassing competitive and non-competitive sports, after-school activities, performing arts, forensics, and service opportunities, the ISB Co-curricular program values dedication, integrity, leadership, camaraderie, and sportsmanship, while promoting and fostering a desire to learn about, and learn from, the various co-curricular areas.
The success of our program is dependent upon the expertise and dedication of our coaches, directors, and sponsors, and the spirit and network of cooperation that links our sponsors with the ISB administration, parent community, and the fine ISB students themselves.
We believe that:
- Co-curricular activities are an integral part of the overall curricular program.
- Every student should have the opportunity to become involved to some extent.
- Coaches/sponsors and students should, at all levels, develop and exhibit accepted attitudes of cooperation, citizenship, good sportsmanship, and dedication.
At ISB, we have five distinct areas that make up the Co-curricular program and are administered through the Activities Office:
- Dragons Sports
- Performing Arts
- ASA – After School Activities Program
- MS/HS Clubs
- Service Groups (shared responsibility with the Building Principals)
Reporting to the Head of School, the Director of Student Activities is responsible for the overall supervision, management, and direction of the Co-curricular program at ISB. The program includes school-sponsored and school-authorized activities in which ISB students participate or which involve the use of the school’s facilities and/or equipment. The DSA will work in close collaboration with the school’s leadership team and faculty to ensure that co-curricular activities operate in a safe manner and provide students worthwhile learning experiences that align with the philosophy and core values of ISB.
The goals of ISB’s Co-curricular program are to optimize the opportunity of participation for our students and to promote a high level of skill development and performance participation. In conjunction with individual coaches/sponsors, and with the help of the Assistant Director of Student Activities, the DSA will establish and will communicate to students and parents clear and timely information for each activity consistent with the objectives, requirements, and expectations of the program. The DSA will likewise be responsible for developing and maintaining the best possible relations with the ISB community and general public, in line with our mission to offer a balanced and engaging learning environment enriched by being in China and strengthened by collaboration with parents and external partnerships.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Leadership and Supervision
- Recruiting, supervising and evaluating department and office personnel to the highest standards and in alignment with ISB’s mission and core values
- Delegating the day-to-day operation of the program while maintaining effective overall supervision
- Hiring coaches, and evaluating the performance of individual coaches/sponsors as far as possible in collaboration with Principals
- Ensuring that coaches/sponsors uphold the rules, policies and protocols of the ISB Co-curricular program
- Providing auxiliary services that help faculty to fulfill their co-curricular responsibilities
- Helping to locate in-service opportunities to upgrade skills and expertise in their activity
- Providing guidelines and criteria to coaches and sponsors for written communications/descriptions of co-curricular activities to students and their parents
- Working with the Principals to staff the program with competent, qualified personnel
- Working with the leadership team to ensure policies, programs, objectives and goals are consistent with best practices locally and worldwide, and that they align with the school’s mission, core values and policies
- Supervising the School Nurses and working with Facilities and Security to ensure that support services and emergency response systems are maintained at the highest standards to maintain the health and safety of the children.
- Preparing, managing and overseeing the annual Student Activities budget
- Developing bi-annual reports on: Numbers of students in the co-curricular program, Budget responsibility, Qualitative Analysis, Staffing/Supervision
- Soliciting and maintaining program sponsorship where appropriate
2. Development, coordination, and implementation of programs and activities
- Responsible for development, coordination and implementation of collaborative programs, activities and competitions with local and overseas institutions as appropriate, not limited to the following organizations and teams/groups: AMIS, ACAMIS, APAC, ISAC, China Cup and invitational tournaments/events; Performing Arts, Service groups, Forensics, MUN, and Swim Team activities; Community programs e.g. Dribbling Dragons, Soccer Academies, and adult leagues (basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, etc.)
- Coordinating and organizing student travel and hosting
- Scheduling and booking of venues and facilities, resolving conflicts as they occur
- Arranging officials/referees/judges; mediating disagreements between coaches/sponsors and referees
- Leading in the scheduling and directing of tournaments and events
- Liaising with Food and Housekeeping contractors for program set-up needs and facility maintenance
- Collecting from coaches/sponsors the records kept of each high school and middle school team for each season
- Sending rosters/programs to the following as needed: faculty and counselors to identify students with academic problems, parents, etc.
- Assisting coaches/sponsors with the inventory of all uniforms and supplies, and arranging for team photos
- Planning and executing special events, e.g. MS and HS athletic banquets, ordering plaques, trophies and awards when needed, preparing event certificates and thank-you letters
- Ordering materials and approving/supervising expenditures for each activity
- Helping to identify team parent sponsors/chaperones
3. Communications and Community Relations
- Representation of the school at conferences, AD networking events and any other activities involving participation of ISB teams/groups
- Liaison between the Booster Club and PTA and coaches/sponsors/teams
- Approving and monitoring use of the campus by outside groups, in coordination with Facilities, Security and the COO/CFO
- Overseeing communications with all constituencies ensuring that messages are timely, easy to understand, easily accessible, and supported by the appropriate levels of detail
- Responsible for developing and maintaining the Activities and Athletics calendars, websites, blogs, webcasts, e-board announcements, etc.
- Liaising with the Communications department to coordinate photography, videography, and write-ups for articles highlighting and promoting the activities program to both internal and external audiences
- Appointing/selecting the Varsity Club Council each fall, and leading that body in service to sports and support of the Boosters throughout the year.
- Attending divisional faculty meetings and parent coffees as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The person appointed to this position is expected to have
- A Bachelor’s degree and preferably current teaching qualifications
- At least five years of successful experience as a teacher and/or coach
- Qualifications in and/or past experience in athletic administration or administrative leadership
- Proven successful experience in a leadership role, preferably in a school setting
- Commitment and integrity
- A sound understanding of the philosophy of the co-curricular program and the needs of students with regard to co-curricular activities
- Knowledge of the overall operation of a co-curricular program
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity, able to clearly communicate both orally and in writing to a diverse group of cultures and in diverse settings
- Scheduling experience
- Proven organizational skills
- Excellent problem-solving, conflict resolution and team-building skills
- Strong listening skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in required technology
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The Admin Level 2 Salary Scale will apply. Benefits include housing, a school vehicle, health insurance, home leave, a shipping allowance and retirement contributions as well as ISB scholarships for dependent children. The initial contract will have a term of three (3) years, with subsequent annual renewal at the Head of School’s discretion.
Interested and qualified candidates should apply directly to ISB via our online application system, at http://www.isb.bj.edu.cn/employment/Pages/Openings-and-On-line-Application.aspx. Please have the following documents ready to upload.
- Cover Letter
- Resume of relevant qualifications and experience
- 3 letters of reference from a current supervisor, previous supervisor, and one Board or Community member
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.