January 3 - 6, 2017
Fair Organizer: Nick Kendell
MELBOURNE SEARCH FAIR.
Welcome to the Melbourne International Job Fair.
This is the
earliest Search Associates mid-size fair of the year, so teaching candidates have the first opportunity to impress the
schools and recruiters at the beautiful Langham Hotel. The teachers who receive invitations to this fair
are are passionate about their students and have a proven track
record. This is traditionally the most successful Search Associates fair in terms of candidate placements. Please see the tab, 'Schools Attending' for an up to date record of registered schools. This list will grow as schools finalise their hiring needs. Check back frequently to see the school list which will automatically update as a schools register to attend and/or cancel their attendance. We anticipate around 55 international schools will be in attendance and approximately 220 candidates. We would love to see you there!
ASSOCIATES ATTENDING: We welcome Ralph Jahr and Julie Ryan from the USA, to Melbourne. They will be joining us especially to lend their expertise and wealth of experience with the international school world to all candidates.
ARRIVING: We strongly suggest teachers arrive Sunday January 3rd, for early registration, school presentations and information sessions on PYP, MYP and IB Diploma, from 9:00 a.m - 6:00 p.m. Wherever possible, school presentations will now take place BEFORE sign ups so that candidates arrive at sign-ups fully informed about possible job opportunities.
All NEW candidates attending a Search Associates job fair MUST attend the candidate meeting at 11:00 a.m on Sunday January 3rd. Returning candidates are more than welcome to attend. There will be a brief meeting at 10 am on January 4th for teachers unable to attend on the 3rd.
DEPARTING: The earliest we would recommend leaving the fair would be late day Tuesday. However, the fair does run until 4 pm on Wednesday to allow for additional interviewing time for both recruiters and candidates. Please check the candidate schedule for a more detailed accounting of the schedule of events.
There is a free candidate/ recruiter reception on the night of January 5th. Please remember to put this in your schedule. Spouses welcome to attend for $75, payable by January 3rd.
Conditions pertaining to Teaching Candidates.
1. Requesting a place from your Associate well before 31st December, is preferred. Please use your dashboard to request an invitation. Your place at the fair is only definite once your Associate has sent you an invitation and you have registered and received confirmation from your Search Associate sponsor.
2. If your place has been confirmed, schools will be informed that you are coming and may have researched your application, so please do not withdraw. You will lose your free fair attendance if your invitation is cancelled after December 20th.
3. Invitations are only issued to registered and ‘active’ Search Associate candidates. All candidates need to have a minimum of four (4) confidential evaluations completed online. Please be considerate and approach your referees in good time. Remember to include referees who can be contactable over the holidays.
4. Collect your candidate pack (available when you register) as early as possible so that you will have plenty of time to study the contents before the candidate meeting, the Interview Sign-up Session and your Interviews. Candidates who are well-prepared stand a much better chance of placement.
5. The Candidate Meeting will start at 11:00 am on January 3rd. We will explain how the Fair is organized. Become familiar with the presentation schedule and research schools so that you are prepared for the interview sign-up session at 11:30 am on January 4th.
6. No guarantee can be given that any particular recruiter will interview you, let alone that any job offer(s) might come your way, but part of our function is to help all candidates and all recruiters to gain as much as possible from the Fair.
7. Dress for the presentations and Interview sign-up session in business/ interview attire.
8. Your word is your bond, both in promising accuracy and honesty in all papers you submit and in all statements you make, and in response to any job offer(s) made to you. The same applies to interviewers, who have also been asked not to put any candidates under pressure for an immediate answer if a job is offered at, (or soon after) the Fair.
9. Recruiters should give candidates adequate time to consider employment offers. This time should be sufficient for candidates to both reflect on the offer itself, and to complete interviews with other schools during the job fair. If a candidate wishes, he or she may accept at any point following an offer being made.
10. Search Associates expects that recruiters will observe the following guidelines, as a matter of professional ethics. When making an offer of employment to a candidate at a Search Associates Job fair, the recruiter should explain the following:
- The candidate may be asked by the recruiter to respond to an offer by the published end date and time of the job fair, or within a minimum 24 hours of the offer being made, whichever is later.
- Where the candidate intends to attend another job fair within 24 hours of a job offer being made, the recruiter may require a decision by midnight of the day before the start of the second job fair.
- Recruiters may deviate from these standards only to extend the deadline for response beyond the periods stipulated above.
- This timing also makes it possible for recruiters to offer the same position, if necessary, at the next fair or in a timely manner to another candidate if you decline. These timings are a condition of participating in this fair. Candidates are encouraged to research schools in advance, whenever possible, so that decisions can be made promptly. Recruiters are encouraged to have ample information available in print, including complete sample contracts, to give to candidates to expedite this decision making.
11. IMPORTANT: According to the Search Agreement, you must notify the fair organizers and your sponsoring Associate WITHIN SEVEN DAYS or SOONER of accepting any verbal or written offer of employment, and also provide the name and location of the school who hired you THROUGH SEARCH ASSOCIATES or OTHERWISE. In this way, Search Associates will be immediately aware of the moment when you are no longer an actively searching candidate. In addition, please designate that you are not available through your Search dashboard. This is the peak recruitment season - your 'up to date' availability ensures that no one's time is wasted!
We look forward to welcoming you at the Search Melbourne January Fair.
Recruitment fair Comments
"Thanks very much. It was a bit of a crazy experience, but it was certainly interesting, exciting and ultimately rewarding. Congratulations on a great fair and the great professionalism of all who organised and facilitated."
" A most heartfelt thanks for running such a calm, personalised and efficient fair! I can't imagine the hours and logistics that go into making such an operation successful, but I really appreciate the fact that it ran like a dream and there was always someone ready and willing to assist with a smile and a chat. Your warmth, humour, efficiency and advice made it such an enjoyable experience. The 'Teen Team" are my favourite part of the fair - those are the most personable, practical and gracious young people."
"What an experience! As new graduates apprehensive about getting interviews, let alone offers - our eyes were opened to the range of opportunities in meeting and engaging with international schools. We have been blown away by the professionalism, structure, quality and 'down to earth' manner in which you and your team conducted the event. Thank you."
Ben and Kirra
"This has been an incredible experience. We came to the fair with high expectations and it fully delivered. It was incredible fun, hard work and a roller-coaster of emotions. Nick and his team really know how to put on a fair."
Paul and Lauren
"Many thanks for the great fair. I found it incredibly informative being new to the international teaching scene.Thanks to your great services I found a job just prior to the fair, however I still attended to see what other schools were like - and I'm glad I did as it gave me a great overview of other teachers and principals perspectives."
"Fantastic support from the Search associates team. All were faultless - including kids. Great job Nick - very friendly, relaxed fair."
Jean and Rob
"Great networking and learning experience. A special thank you to Nick and Paula for all their support throughout the process. I can highly recommend the fair and Search Associates"
"What a fantastic experience! Recruiters were helpful, other candidates were supportive and I learned a lot about myself as a teacher ."
"It was great having so much wisdom and experience available to us so that we could talk through our offers. Thank you Search Associates."
Ronald and Eran
"Fantastic event. Great staff and great opportunities. Support was amazing and advice given really helped."
Stacy and James
"Overall, such a positive atmosphere. Everyone was so kind and helpful. My nerves and worries were very much put at ease and I was able to enjoy the fair for what it was - a gateway to a lifetime of opportunities"