< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Jan 8, 20
Mar 20, 20
The American International School · Vienna
A School with a Rich History
in The Most Livable City in the World
The American International School · Vienna
BUSINESS MANAGER - CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
effective August 1, 2020 ( or earlier )
Our Mission and Guiding Principles
Within the rich cultural context of Austria, AIS Vienna
- Nurtures an inclusive learning community
- In partnership with families, we support healthy social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development.
- We differentiate instruction to accommodate diverse interests and needs.
- We cultivate active and creative students.
- Challenges students to strive for personal excellence and to explore their passions
- We balance an academically engaging program with co-curricular opportunities to empower students for success now and beyond AIS.
- We motivate students to explore new and existing passions through guidance and opportunities.
- Fosters respect through compassion for others and our world
- We encourage empathy, honesty and kindness towards others.
- We embrace diverse values and perspectives with an aim to act with an open mind.
- We strive to have a positive impact on others and our environment.
The American International School Vienna Overview
The American International School Vienna is an independent, college preparatory, coeducational day school serving students in grades Pre-kindergarten through 12th grade. The school was founded in 1959 and continues to thrive as an outstanding center for education in the wonderful city of Vienna.
AIS serves some 800 students from 60 countries, with about half of the total American or Austrian. The school is divided into three divisions -- Elementary (Pre-Kindergarten-Grade 5), Middle (Grades 6-8), and High School (Grades 9-12).
Because of the international and transient character of our student body, the average stay at AIS is four years, with approximately 200 new students admitted each year. Many students, however, spend eight years or longer with us. Our Parent-Teacher Forum makes a great effort to help new families adjust to a new environment.
Our international parent community is predominantly affiliated with embassies, international organizations, and international corporations. Our local parents tend to work in private businesses or professions such as medicine and law.
The core of excellence at AIS is the talented faculty and administration. Each of the three academic divisions is headed by a trained and experienced principal. In addition, the Senior Leadership Team includes the School Director, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, the Director of Athletics, Activities, and Events, the Director of Technology, the Director of Admissions, and the Business Manager. There are also trained and experienced counselors in each of the three divisions, resource staff, and librarians for the Elementary and Secondary schools. A full-time nurse practitioner oversees the school’s health unit.
The AIS Faculty numbers over 100 individuals. More than 80% of our teachers hold advanced degrees, with several having earned doctorates. A substantial majority are U.S. citizens, but the school does have teachers of other nationalities. The teachers at AIS are dedicated professionals with a commitment to ongoing professional development, as demonstrated by frequent attendance at regional and international conferences, IB training, and subject-specific workshops.
AIS is located in the Neustift-am-Walde area of Vienna, adjacent to the famous Vienna Woods, and provides an instructional setting in the midst of the physical beauty of the surrounding hills, forest, and countryside. On our 10-acre (4 hectare) premises there are seven interconnected buildings housing Elementary, Middle, and High Schools. Each division benefits from large outdoor learning spaces, sports facilities and rich cultural opportunities just beyond the school grounds.
Current Business Function
AIS Business Office functions include comprehensive management of the fiduciary responsibilities of many international schools: tuition and fee billing; payroll and benefit management; accounting and bookkeeping; preparation and management of financial records; bidding and procurement; facilities management and compliance; purchasing; and management of third-party vendor relations. Additionally, AIS invoices for busing and for extracurricular programs which might be outsourced at other schools.
We offer a warm and welcoming atmosphere. We believe in developing strong relationships between employees and these relationships are the foundations of the family-like feeling of our school community.
AIS benefits from a fabulous city. For those of you new to Vienna, congratulations! What a great place to land; the rich cultural heritage combined with the famous Vienna woods, skiing and outdoor retreats make this a hard-to-beat location for you and your family. As I am sure you have heard Vienna is ranked the #1 most liveable city in the world.
- Bachelors or university degree required
- Professional or business qualification
2. Experience / knowledge
- Successful senior management experience and career progression
- Successful experience and demonstrated record of:
- leadership and development of project or department teams
- financial management including budget preparation, monitoring, control and reporting
- communication/presentation of management and financial information
- financial planning including benchmarking and monitoring of key performance indicators
- facilities management inclusive of compliance with local/applicable law and regulation
- project control
- personnel management
- Knowledge of employment law
- Accounting proficiency
- Experience with and knowledge of IT applications including those specific to accountancy
- Performance evaluation
- Working with and reporting to governance bodies and /or trustees
- High-level strategic and analytical skills
- An enquiring mind, capable of independent research
- Initiative regarding strategic imperatives as defined by Board and Director
- Dynamic and inspirational qualities as a leader and motivator
- Ability to manage and prioritize a demanding workload and meet deadline
- Interpersonal skills for effective and transparent communication with all stakeholders
- Team playing skills, genuinely sensitive to the ideas and needs of others
- Integrity and openness
- Understanding of the importance of change management
- Flair for income generation and entrepreneurial activities
- A clear understanding and interest in the education of young people
- Sensitivity to and supportive of the values and culture that pervade AIS
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- High level of spoken and written German
- Experience of working in an educational institution
- Familiarity with US GAAP and European GDPR
- Experience of the business environment in Austria e.g. employment law, planning regulations etc
- Management of catering, and facility services (including security)
- Human resources management
- Sense of humor
As a senior member of the Leadership Team, and working in close co-operation with the Director at all times, to ensure that all non-teaching activities, including finance, HR administration, buildings and estates management, catering, security and safety, are carried out in an efficient, effective and timely manner, in accordance with relevant legislation and best practice. Will act at all times in a manner to promote the interests and reputation of the school.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sharing the Board’s strategic vision and policy for strategic development.
- Financial leadership of all aspects of the school’s operations.
- Responsibility for the extensive site and facilities.
- Management of the support staff and on human resource matters.
- Responsibility for compliance with safety regulations and other mandatory requirements.
- Preparation of annual budgets and business plans in collaboration with the Director.
- Preparation of monthly finance packs for the Finance Committee and the Board to be discussed during monthly meetings.
- Budget implementation, variance monitoring and reporting with recommendations as appropriate.
- Preparing budget and trading forecasts.
- Preparation of annual report and accounts and submission to the appropriate authorities on a timely basis.
- Ensuring optimization of short term cash flow and that medium to long term investment is carried out in accordance with agreed policy.
- Credit control and debt collection in accordance with school policy.
- Ensuring all scholarship and bursary schemes are administered in accordance with school policy.
- Ensuring the Board is kept fully informed on a regular basis, of the financial state of the school, and of any tax or financial implications affecting the school.
- Managing the school bookkeepers and ensuring monthly management accounts are reported correctly.
- Regular review and renegotiation of tenders and contracts, including all insurances, to ensure and maintain best value for money.
2. Buildings and Estates Management
- Ensuring maintenance and security of buildings to a high standard of repair.
3. Human Resources
- Supporting compliance with all relevant aspects of employment law.
- Supporting the school maintains and operates appropriate disciplinary, capability and grievance procedures and, when required, to act as the Director’s adviser on employment matters including disciplinary procedures.
- Advising the Director and HR leadership on the terms and conditions for staff.
- Supporting the employment, terms and conditions of service, supervision, appraisal, professional development and welfare of all non-teaching staff.
- Formulating, monitoring and implementing the school’s policy to comply with the safety legislation.
5. Business Development
- Assisting in the formulation and implementation of the school’s strategic development plan.
- Sustaining and increasing non-fee income.
- Assisting in the marketing and development of the school in consultation with the Director.
- Providing a business perspective to operations and reviews AIS courses and activities.
6. Analyzing admission forecasts and trends
- Analyzing admission forecasts and trends to enable the Director to make recommendations to the Board.
7. Compliance and Risk
- Ensuring that AIS meets all statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Bringing to the attention of the Board and the Director any changes in Austrian law that might affect the running of AIS.
- Managing a systematic and thorough review of risk.
Reports directly to the Director.
SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
Supervises and evaluates employees of the Business office (accountant, cashier, purchasing officer, payroll coordinator, security, facility manager, etc).
Is evaluated by the Director on an annual basis.
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION
The American International School · Vienna has appointed Search Associates as a consultant in the search for a Business Manager, with Dr. Gunther Brandt as the Lead Consultant. The deadline for applications is March 20, 2020. Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and the required materials as early as possible and the AISV search committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if the right candidate is found. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received and candidates should send the information listed below in a single PDF file attached to an email:
- A letter of application describing your interest, listing your strengths as a candidate and how your qualifications and experience align with the profile of the desired candidate.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages
- A one-page list of at least 4 ( four ) referees who have been your direct supervisors, with current phone and email addresses
- A maximum of three letters of reference scanned at low resolution that may already be in your possession
The total DOC size should be kept at less than (4) MB if possible. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com
Interviews for finalist candidates will include visits to the AISV campus.