< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Hillel Academy (Jamaica)
No longer accepting applications
Mar 13, 2023
Mar 31, 2023
HILLEL ACADEMY, KINGSTON, JAMAICA
IS SEARCHING FOR A NEW
Hillel Academy in Kingston, in the foothills of the famous Blue Mountains, is Jamaica's largest international school. A non-denominational, independent, co-educational, and multicultural school, the Hillel community is justly proud of its positive school culture and climate where everyone is a learner. Hillel is a private, non-profit institution that currently serves approximately 750 students.
The beautiful, welcoming, and safe green campus consists of a Preparatory School (3-11 years), a High School (11-19 years) and features extensive sports facilities, a vibrant fine and performing arts program and a wide range of extra-curricular activities suitable for all ages.
Hillel offers a rigorous academic program from pre-kindergarten through high school, ensuring a safe and inspiring learning environment in which all students develop socially, emotionally, creatively, physically, and academically.
The Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC) is complemented by the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and the most comprehensive International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) offered anywhere in Jamaica.
Hillel Academy is committed to extensively promoting the strengths and talents of all children through the positive collaboration between the teachers, parents, and students.
The school was founded in 1969 by the Jewish community, is accredited by NEASC and is a member of all the major international school organizations.
Hillel seeks an exceptionally well qualified, experienced, and passionate Director who will further develop its leading role as an international school in Jamaica. Therefore, the next Director is expected to deeply immerse in the life of the school and its different constituencies, respecting the unique culture of Jamaica and the school, advancing its commitment to lifelong learning, based on the school’s values and mission statement. The Head of School reports to, and works with, a Board of Governors (many of whom have a long association with Hillel Academy) on the implementation of the school’s mission, core values, and strategic plan.
In his/her position, the Director shall:
- be the representative of the Board of Governors in its relations with the faculty, staff, students, and parents.
- support the continuous development of school quality and curriculum by taking into account the richness and diversity of the school community.
- support the busy life at Hillel Academy and be highly visible throughout the school.
- represent the school in its relations with Government Agencies, national educational organizations, curriculum providers and accreditation agencies.
- provide guidance to the school community and coordinate the activities of the entire organization.
- ensure commitment to the development of the school’s philosophy, vision, and mission, with a clear focus on student achievement, standards and quality of teaching and learning.
- build an effective partnership with parents and the wider school community to enhance the achievements and personal development of all the students.
- lead, supervise and develop teachers and staff to ensure highest possible standards of effective teaching and learning and pastoral care and support for students.
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE OF CANDIDATES
- Advanced degree in education, educational leadership or equivalent
- Leadership experience in an international school setting
- Exceptional skills in communication, inclusive of being an active listener, cogent writer, and articulate presenter
- Genuine commitment to working collaboratively with all stakeholders and to meeting the social and emotional needs of the entire Hillel learning community
- Internationally minded and dedicated to diversity
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
An attractive and competitive salary and benefits package will be discussed with shortlisted candidates.
Hillel Academy has appointed Search Associates to act as their consultant in the search for the new Director with Julie Ryan and Thomas Schaedler as advisors. The deadline for making an application for the position is March 31, 2023. Candidates should submit a letter of interest and the requested materials as early as possible, as the Search Committee reserves the right to close the selection process at any time if an outstanding candidate is identified early in the process. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be selected by the Search Committee by early to mid-April. Final candidates, along with their spouses, will be invited to Hillel Academy for a campus visit and to meet with students, parents, faculty, non-teaching staff, administrators, and members of the Board.
Suitable candidates should send the information listed below as a single PDF file attached to an email:
- A letter of application, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the Director position at Hillel Academy.
- A statement describing your management and educational philosophy, not to exceed two pages.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one-page list of references who have served as immediate supervisors with telephone numbers and email addresses.
Applications should be sent to:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Additional information about Hillel Academy can be found on the school’s website (www.hillelacademyjm.com) and here: https://rb.gy/moykk3