< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Position has been filled
Jul 1, 2016
Sep 8, 2016
Director of Learning Job Description
to start 2017 - 2018 academic year
The American School of Dubai (ASD) is a college-preparatory, Pre-K through grade 12, independent, not for profit American curriculum school, offering what is best about American education to provide learning experiences designed to promote the maximum potential of its students.
Our Mission Statement
We challenge and inspire each student to achieve their dreams and to become a passionate learner prepared to adapt and contribute in a rapidly changing world.
ASD is located in a residential area within Dubai, the global business and cultural hub of the United Arab Emirates. The ASD campus is a 23 acre, million square foot, wireless, state-of-the- art facility. The campus includes spaces designed to promote phenomenal learning experiences, to include; 100 classrooms, two libraries, four science and four technology labs, five art studios, a number of multi-purpose rooms, a 670-seat performing arts theatre, a middle and high school black-box studios, purpose built band and choral classrooms with accompany practice rooms, middle and high school black-box studios, a student broadcasting studio, a multi-faceted, fieldhouse, indoor and outdoor running tracks, a climbing wall, regulation soccer fields, additional playing fields and play areas, a dance studio, fitness center, two 25-meter swimming pools, six tennis courts and two cafeterias. ASD is known for its inviting and welcoming learning environment.
The American School of Dubai is seeking a dynamic and passionate educator for the role of Director of Learning. The Director will provide skilled and effective leadership and oversight of strategic initiatives related to the development and communication of a research-based student learning program, staff professional development program, and an effective Teaching and Learning Coaching program. The Director will also ensure that the school-wide curriculum is developed, maintained and revised in direct support of the School’s Mission and strategic goals.
The Director of Learning will serve as a member of the ASD Core Cabinet Team and as the facilitator of the Learning Leadership Team in the stewardship of strategic student learning goals. The Director will oversee the Office of Learning, which supports all curriculum programs, including service learning and Arabic language, coordinates the local government school inspection processes, school-wide student standardized testing, ASD hosted conferences, and supports other school programs. He/she reports to the Associate Superintendent and will work with him/her to support the data collection, analysis and communication of the school’s strategic plan and accreditation processes.
- Provide oversight and leadership for the student learning strategic goals related to the school’s strategic plan
- Coordinate the data collection and communication related to the annual inspection conducted by the local government regulatory body the Dubai Schools Inspection Bureau
- Provide support to and collaborate with the Associate Superintendent in other Strategic areas including the school’s accreditation process and the Data Dashboard
- Work with the Associate Superintendent on the learning program including action planning and coordination related to the local government regulatory body, the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA)
- Review and maintain written curriculum goals and objectives that are consistent with the School’s Statement of Mission and philosophy and clearly understood by the faculty and parents.
- Assist in developing new curriculum to ensure both articulation and provisions for accountability.
- Review and establish appropriate and consistent written accountability procedures that assess student attainment of learner outcomes consistent with the approved curriculum.
- Oversee the administration of the school-wide standardized testing program including interpreting results and establishing information procedures for parents, faculty and board members
- Visit classrooms regularly in order to view close-hand the implementation of curriculum and the use of appropriate instructional strategies.
- Coordinate on-site graduate studies and distribute information about other graduate studies programs and summer workshops.
- Work closely with principals, team leaders and individual teachers on strategies and planning designed to integrate curriculum and instruction.
- Work with the Associate Superintendent in the areas of learning leadership team facilitation, planning, programming, and end of year Reflection.
- Perform other tasks and responsibility as assigned by the Associate Superintendent.
- Facilitate, develop and plan the school-wide professional development days in collaboration with Core Cabinet Team members
- Develop, organize, schedule the community awareness/educational program Talk Tuesday
- Oversee, coordinate and communicate summer professional development opportunities for new hire faculty
- Organize teacher leadership training opportunities
- Discard and/or donate curriculum resources and coordinate as appropriate
- Assist in preparation and management of the annual operating budget with specific reference to curriculum, instruction, and professional development
- Review and maintain an updated professional reference library that includes professional journals, books and other materials related to teaching, learning, and leadership.
- Establish, publicize and administer a school-wide professional development program that is research based, relevant, and focused on professional practice that impacts student learning.
- Provide leadership in integrating innovative practices into the learning program (e.g. Service Learning, Maker Culture, Engineering Design).
- Provide guidance in the review of resources for new programs and course renewal.
- Collaborate with Principals to coordinate on-site training opportunities for teachers; negotiate agreement, expenses and schedule with consultants; prepare training agendas and schedules
- Supervise the Teaching and Learning Coaching team including all related planning, programming and professional learning
- Serve as the Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) Liaison for joint programming (e.g. Visiting Authors, PTSA Grants, guest speakers)
- Manage professional and professional development conferences general conference coordination including all related logistics (NESA, AP, Faculty and Staff Professional Development):
- Schedule new faculty ASD orientation sessions in collaboration with the Director of Human Resources
- Supervise the annual appraisal process for the Director of Arabic Language, the Service Learning Coordinator and Teaching and Learning Coaches
- Master’s Degree and active certification with course work emphasis for both teaching, curriculum and School management.
- Minimum of 10 years of classroom teaching and/or administration experience and proven skills in leadership, group facilitation, organization, writing, listening and communications.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Student-centered decision-maker
- Understands and appreciates the importance of diversity
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrates integrity in all aspects of life
- Gives evidence of excellent listening skills
- Capable of making and communicating decisions
- Develops and sustains trust amongst all constituents
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent collaborator
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is highly competitive and will be dependent upon the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include housing, health insurance, life insurance, home leave, shipping-in and shipping-out allowances, retirement contributions and on-going professional development opportunities.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply online through the ASD website: www.asdubai.org.
Deadline Date: 08 September 2016
Attention: If you apply for this position, please inform the school and us (Admin@searchassociates.com) that you saw the notice on the Search Associates website.