< Back to Leadership Vacancies
Appointed - Dr. Angela Romney
Nov 19, 20
Dec 18, 20
On behalf of the Board of Governors and The International School of Azerbaijan (TISA) Search Committee, we are pleased to announce that Dr. Angela Romney has been appointed The International School of Azerbaijan Director in Baku, Azerbaijan beginning in August 2021.
Dr. Romney is currently serving as the Managing Director of Academic Programs for the Frisco Independent School District (FISD) in Frisco, Texas. Prior to her current leadership position, she was Managing Director of Secondary Schools for the Frisco Independent Schools (2014 – 2019). Additional leadership roles in her career include serving as Principal of Wester Middle School in FISD (2007 – 2014), Assistant Principal of Wester Middle School (2006 – 2007), and Principal at Jacksonville Middle School in Little Rock, Arkansas (2005 – 2006).
Dr. Romney earned her B.A. in History and Spanish Teaching from Brigham Young University, Utah, an MA in Educational Administration from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and an Ed.D.in Educational Leadership from Dallas Baptist University, Texas.
The Board of Governors, the TISA Search Committee and Search Associates would like to thank all candidates who expressed interest in the Director position, and to everyone who assisted and supported the successful search process.
Beginning in August 2021 or 2022 Depending on Availability of the Candidate.
We engage as thoughtful, generous and resilient members of our local and global communities, taking action in Azerbaijan and beyond;
We empower one another to pursue personal and academic challenges
with courage and a growth mindset;
We inspire life-long, authentic and principled learning to create our best future together.
The International School of Azerbaijan (TISA) is a private co-educational day school committed to providing a rigorous PreK-12 IB education for the international community and Azerbaijani families seeking an internationally-recognised education taught in the English language. The school’s primary purpose is to provide an engaging, empowering and inspiring educational programme with an emphasis on academic, social and emotional growth and achievement.
Opened in September 1996, TISA’s original and primary purpose is to educate the children of expatriate residents in Azerbaijan to carry out work to develop oil and gas resources in the Azerbaijan sector of the Caspian Sea. TISA is operated as a wholly-owned not for profit subsidiary of British Petroleum (BP) Exploration (Caspian Sea) Ltd as the managing partner of the Azerbaijan International Operating Company (AIOC). TISA’s operational budget is financed entirely from school fees. Support from BP/AIOC has given the school the opportunity to develop school facilities as necessary and the school’s financial structure is such as to become cost neutral to BP/AIOC by 2049.
TISA is fully accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS), licensed by The Ministry of Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan and authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) for all grades (PYP, MYP and DP). TISA is a member of the IBO, CIS the Central and Eastern European Schools Association (CEESA) and the Silk Road Athletics Association (SRAA).
TISA’s curriculum units and instructional strategies prioritise inquiry-based practices, student-centered instruction and authentic learning experiences. All grades have one-to-one devices (iPads or MacBooks) and the TISA’s virtual learning programme has allowed for uninterrupted teaching and learning despite campus restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. All Secondary students work towards earning a TISA High School Diploma with more than 92% earning a Full IB Diploma and exam results are consistently well above world average.
TISA’s student body has over 500 students aged from 2 to 18 years and represents 50+ nationalities with more than 40% of student families having ties to the oil and gas production in Azerbaijan. We have 100 teachers from 21 different countries and a 6 to 1 student to teacher ratio. Maximum class size is 20 with an average of 16. In addition, there are more than 50 teacher assistants and administrative support staff. All teaching staff are university certified and most hold advanced degrees. The Director is supported by an educational leadership team consisting of two principals, two assistant principals, PYP, MYP, and DP curriculum coordinators and an IT Director. The TISA Board of Governors has nine members. Three are BP personnel including the Chair. US and UK Embassies are represented and a teacher and parent are elected as ex-officio members. The Director is also an ex-officio member.
TISA has a robust variety of co-curricular activities including sports competitions within CEESA and SRAA, performing arts, and collaborative competitions and activities including Choir, Speech & Debate, MUN, and others. Students, faculty and parents are involved in a wide-range of activities both within the school community and in the broader life of Baku and Azerbaijan. There are parent and community supported scout groups, ski club, swimming, arts and traditional crafts groups, outdoors clubs and cultural organisations. There is an active and supportive parents’ association, which supports student programmes and development and hosting of community social events and celebrations such as an annual Winter Fair and International Day.
TISA occupies a 5.9 hectare site on the outskirts of Baku, about 20 minutes from downtown Baku. The purpose-built facility is located in a residential community where many TISA families live. There are three buildings mainly dedicated to the Primary school including the Early Learning Centre (ELC). Three buildings comprise the main facility for Secondary including a four classroom annex. Specialist rooms include science labs, libraries, art rooms, music and drama areas, a Design Technology Studio and resource areas. There is a newly renovated lunch hall and the former lunch hall is dedicated as a multi-purpose and performance space. Outdoor facilities include play areas for all ages, a state-of-the-art artificial pitch, basketball court and numerous areas for collaborative work and play. The TISA indoor sporting complex includes two full gymnasiums, a fitness room, climbing wall, dance studio and state-of-the-art equipment.
The Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the school and is responsible for the school’s total operations and implementation and evaluation of the strategic plan. The Director works with the Board of Governors to implement policies and strategies that support the quality of student experiences and assist the overall operation of the school.
- Demonstrated record of school leadership in an IB school, with the ability to constructively engage a dynamic and diverse community in pursuit of high-quality teaching and learning.
- Management skills focusing on the future development of the school’s programmes and learning environment.
- Experience in operational and financial management of educational institutions, demonstrating operational proficiency and fiscal management to maintain sound finances.
- Proven prior experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and leading the delivery of large projects.
- Graduate degree in administration, education management or related fields.
- Leadership experience in a school re-accreditation cycle.
- Experience working within corporate or parent company compliance, bid, contract award and performance management processes.
- High level of communication skills to manage the diverse views and interests of stakeholders and the ability to clearly communicate vision.
- Strong relationship building skills and proven ability to establish trust and credibility with all stakeholders.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and make personal connections across the community.
- Mentoring and coaching skills in support of a collaborative and positive professional culture.
- Consensus builder, capable of developing and promoting strong teams and a shared strategic vision.
- Leading by example, including the ability to promote intercultural understanding and international mindedness.
- Strong analytical skills and proven problem-solving skills and a desire to seek solutions in an optimistic “can-do” attitude.
- Highly visible and available to the community in the spirit of an “open door policy”.
- Ability to represent the school in international circles and to communicate tactfully and clearly with all stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Align and develop programmes, activities and resources as a champion of the school’s mission.
- Oversee the safe implementation and execution of all aspects of school operations.
- Manage contracted operational services to ensure transparency, efficiency, quality, and effective use of capital, personnel and resources.
- Oversee the implementation and evaluation of teaching and instructional curriculum.
- Ensure controls and oversight of school expenditures in accordance with the approved budget.
- Effectively manage performance and evaluation of leadership team and faculty including on-going professional growth and goal setting.
- Recruit and retain high-quality faculty and school personnel. Develop capacity and support professional growth in faculty and staff.
- Lead the on-going development of school programmes and operations in alignment with the school’s mission and vision.
- Promote, develop and support the continued partnership with the educational institutions and organisations within the region and Azerbaijan, including the Ministry of Education.
- Ensure all operations are managed in accordance with legal requirements of the Republic of Azerbaijan and in compliance with BP policies as applicable.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary and benefits package is highly competitive and will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include furnished housing and utilities, pension contribution, annual home return airfare, company car, school fees for dependent children, world-wide medical and long-term disability insurance and relocation allowance. The successful candidate will be appointed on an initial three-year term.
Beginning in August 2021 or 2022 Depending on Availability of the Candidate.
TISA has appointed Search Associates to facilitate the search with Dr. Eric Sands and Dr. Gunther Brandt serving as the consultants. The deadline for applications is December 18, 2020. However, candidates should note that the search committee will begin reviewing applications as soon as they are received from Search Associates. In the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, TISA reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is essential that interested candidates apply as soon as possible. For further information about TISA, please visit our website at http://www.tisa.az.
Candidates who wish to apply should submit the information requested below in the form and manner requested.
- A letter of application, no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidacy and why you are interested in the Director role at The International School of Azerbaijan.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one or two-page statement outlining your philosophy of education.
- A one-page list of at least four references who have directly supervised the performance of the candidate with the current phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
- A maximum of four letters of recommendation which you may already have in your possession.
Candidates should send the requested information in a single PDF attachment.
Please send all materials to Dr. Eric Sands at: firstname.lastname@example.org and Dr. Gunther Brandt at: email@example.com.
TISA is committed to child protection. Appointments are made subject to appropriate vetting procedures and police checks.
TISA is an equal opportunity employer and provides opportunities to all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age or disability.